Quantcast [GUIDE] How to change your Dell MediaDirect button's functionality

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    NBR Community Moderator

Default [GUIDE] How to change your Dell MediaDirect button's functionality

NOTE: This was written for Vista back in 2008. I no longer have a Dell lappie with a MediaDirect button so I cannot adjust this for W7 nor test. See post here for W7 instructions.

- How to change your Dell MediaDirect button's functionality -

There have been many posts asking how to change the function of the Dell MediaDirect button (the little house). I thought it might be easier for people to reference if the basics were all located under one thread. What follows is the process I use.

Couple of important bits of info before we begin:

1. This process DOES NOT require you have MediaDirect. Quickset is required as Quickset creates the Registry Keys which we need and handles the routing.

2. Tested and verfied compatible with MediaDirect 3.5, MediaDirect 4.0, Quickset 8.2.20+. Works with Vista 32/64, XP 32/64 and Windows 7 x64. (Thanks to arjunnedfor confirming XP and Win 7 x64)

BE AWARE, WE WILL BE EDITING THE REGISTRY. IF YOU MAKE A MISTAKE OR CHANGE SOMETHING BY ACCIDENT, YOU CAN HOSE YOUR SYSTEM. BACK UP YOUR REGISTRY IF YOU FEEL THE NEED. IF YOU DO NOT FEEL COMFORTABLE, STOP NOW.

Without further delay, let's get started.

1. We will need to modify a couple of registry keys. Open REGEDIT via the RUN command (type REGEDIT). This will launch the REGISTRY EDITOR. (Again, if these keys are missing, just create them).

Find the following keys...

HKey_Local_Machine\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\MobilePC\HotStartButtons\0
    HKey_Local_Machine\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\MobilePC\HotStartButtons\0
    HKey_Local_Machine\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\MobilePC\HotStartButtons\0
    HKey_Local_Machine\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Control\MobilePC\HotStartButtons\0

*Note: You may note have ControlSet003 - if not, don't worry. Just proceed.

For each of these keys, there is an Application Path entry. This is the entry you will need to modify.

When looking at it, it will look like this:

"C:\Program Files\Dell\MediaDirect\MDirect.exe"

2. In order to remap it to launch another application, just edit the path to whatever application you want. So, for example:

To map it to launch Windows Media Center, you would change the path to:

"C:\Windows\ehome\ehshell.exe"

You now have the process to change the mapping to any application you have. Just point the application path to the application you want the button to launch.

*NOTE: After modifying the registry, you will need to reboot for your changes to take effect.

POWER OFF LCD

Fr0stbite posted a request to change the button functionality to power off the LCD. This is also possible. In order to do this, use the following process:

1. Download TurnOffLCDv101. It's a small 85kb application that is Freeware*

2. Extract the file to your desktop or another location.

3. Assuming you saved TurnOffLCDv101.exe to the Program Files folder, when editing the registry, you would change the ApplicationPath key to:

"C:\Program Files\Turn Off LCD.exe"

Thats it! Now after rebooting, depressing the MediaDirect button will turn off the LCD. Moving the mouse or pressing a a keyboard key will power on the LCD.

*Thanks to Taimur Asad for writing this little Application.

LOCK WORKSTATION, RESTART, SHUTDOWN:

You can also use this same process to perform these functions.

So, for LOCK WORKSTATION you would:

1. Right-click an empty space on your desktop, point at New, and then select Shortcut.

2. Type rundll32.exe user32.dll,LockWorkStation in the location field and then press Next.

3. Type the name of the shortcut in the name box ("LockWorkstation").

4. Click Finish to create the shortcut. To keep the desktop clean and free of clutter, move the newly created shortcut to the root level of your C: drive.

5. Now, in the Application path of the registry edit process, change it to point to your LockWorkstation shortcut.

"C:\LockWorkstation"

6. Reboot.

Pressing the MediaDirect button will now lock your lappie. Granted its probably just as fast to use keyboard shortcuts, but some people may find it useful.

Try this for a SHUTDOWN shortcut which will force all open application to close the system to shutdown:

Shutdown.exe -s -t 00

or to give the system 30 seconds, use this:

Shutdown.exe -s

For SLEEP, try:

Rundll32.exe Powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState Sleep

for HIBERNATE, try:

Rundll32.exe Powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState Hibernate

Again, once you have identified the shortcut/application/file you want to link the button to, just go into the registry as before and change the Application Path. You can link to any shortcut you create... Why not set it to launch a favorite website like NotebookReview's Dell Forum? Kind of cool huh?

Well, there you have it. Enjoy! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Notebook Consultant

Default Re: [GUIDE] How to change your Dell MediaDirect button's functionality

Really Useful guide thanks for posting BatBoy

Notebook Guru

Really useful! No doubt I'll be using this when I set up Dells into the future!

--Tom
    My blog: tbtech.info

We publish reviews and photography of premium products from the consumer tech sector.

Apple MacBook Pro (Rev. C) 2.16GHz, 120GB 5400RPM, 1GB DDR2, 128mb Mobility Radeon

X2P
    I♥COOLING | NBR Super Mod

Will this work for "any" dell notebook?
    NotebookReview.com | Super Moderator
    PCGamingCorner.com | Partner Site

Notebook-Cooling.com | Editor in Chief
    GadgetSurge.com | Editor in Chief

Latest Review: | Razer Onza Tournament Edition
    Latest Article: | Latest Gadget News

Notebook Prophet

Great guide, I will use this when my M1730 gets here. Do you know how to set it to sleep or hibernate? I haven't been able to find a clear cut answer for Vista.
    Looking for a new laptop? Try the Dell Outlet Coupon Thread!

NBR's Supreme Angel

If you press the power button once it goes to sleep.
    XPS M1530 / T9300 / LED / 4GB / 9-cell / Bluetooth / Intel N / 320 7200RPM

Notebook Prophet

I suppose I could do that, but I was aiming for a shutdown and sleep button. I suppose I'll just opt for restart or map it to something else.
    Looking for a new laptop? Try the Dell Outlet Coupon Thread!

Notebook Guru

Great guide. umm Can you map it to boot xp?
    Dell XPS M1530 | (PRODUCT) RED | CORE 2 DUO T9500 2.60GHz | 15.4" Widescreen WUXGA (1920x1200) | 4.0GB (2x2048) 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM | 320GB SATA (5400rpm) | Slot Load (BD/DVD/CD read/write) | Primary 6-cell | 256MB NVIDIA GeForce Go 8600M GT | Dell Bluetooth | Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N | Vista Ultimate (32Bit) SP1

wow...great guide, thanks

NBR Community Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by X2P View Post
    Will this work for "any" dell notebook?
    Yes. It will work with any Dell that has a MediaDirect button (house) on the keyboard and has Quickset installed.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast