Quantcast Are You SERIOUS?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Notebook Guru

Default Are You SERIOUS?

Vista can't be this bad.

I installed my software and drivers for my SB X-Fi Xtreme sound card. And I can't get it to work. I've installed and reinstalled twice.

When I try to open Audio Console it says, "Audio device supported by this application is not detected. This application will exit."

When I try to open Console Launcher, it says, ""Audio device supported by this application is not detected. Do you want to select another audio device now?"

When I click "Yes," it says, "The Creative Audio Device Selection module cannot be launched. The module may be missing from your system. You may need to re-install your application."

?! I've installed twice ... including getting all the updates.

Also, I can't even ****ING install Direct X9 or 10 ... doesn't it come preloaded with Vista? I can't even ****ing play C&C 3 because DX9 and 10 go into "Not Responding" upon installation.

I'm real pissed. I just got this laptop last night and did a complete clean install. I did everything right.

Default Re: Are You SERIOUS?

Dual Boot XP... I do

Notebook Evangelist

I don't believe Creative has released drivers that support their products for vista.

...I think, there was a very large issue on that.
    Dell XPS M1530: T8300@2.4GHzUndervolted /w Arctic Silver|320GB 5400RPM HDD|4GB DDR2 RAM|8600GT (620/880 overclock)|LED LCD 1440x900|Tuxedo Black|9-Cell Battery
    [most]DEFECTIVE GPU THREADS SUCK!!!
    actually you've got 2 cores at 1.66ghz, which is 3.33ghz....

Notebook Deity

Quote Originally Posted by ski_merlin View Post
    Vista can't be this bad.

Also, I can't even ****ING install Direct X9 or 10 ... doesn't it come preloaded with Vista? I can't even ****ing play C&C 3 because DX9 and 10 go into "Not Responding" upon installation.

I'm real pissed. I just got this laptop last night and did a complete clean install. I did everything right.
    Can't help you with the sound card. Where did you get the drivers from? Are the Vista-specific drivers? Have you tried downloading from Creative's site? Did you purchase this card from Dell?

Regarding DX9 and DX10...there's no reason these shouldn't properly install and load in Vista. Are you using versions that came bundled on game CD's? If so, try downloading the latest versions directly from Microsoft.

An editorial aside...while I'm a big proponent of reformatting and installing the OS fresh, I'm not a big fan of doing it on Day 1. If there are software or hardware issues, it becomes difficult to tell whether there's a real problem, or if something the user has done is the cause. I like running on the stock install for a few days until I see that everything operates as expected. Then if I format and reinstall and there's an issue, I can pretty much know that it's something I've done wrong.

BBQ Expert

Quote Originally Posted by ski_merlin View Post
    Vista can't be this bad.

I installed my software and drivers for my SB X-Fi Xtreme sound card. And I can't get it to work. I've installed and reinstalled twice.

When I try to open Audio Console it says, "Audio device supported by this application is not detected. This application will exit."

When I try to open Console Launcher, it says, ""Audio device supported by this application is not detected. Do you want to select another audio device now?"

When I click "Yes," it says, "The Creative Audio Device Selection module cannot be launched. The module may be missing from your system. You may need to re-install your application."

?! I've installed twice ... including getting all the updates.

What I did for my Platinum ZS:

1. Tried KX drivers
    2. Tried YouPAX drivers.
    3. Found a third party ISO with manipulated drivers by some guy who is getting sued by Creative for offering people a solution for VISTA. The SURROUND MIXER will not work, no EAX, Alchemy sucks, no THX, no EQ, no environments, no effects, etc.

None of the above solutions gave me quality on VISTA so I used the magic FORMAT C: command .Take VISTA OFF and enjoy the quality of your card by using XP. No need to make it sound like an onboard on VISTA!!!
    Last edited by Wishmaker; 4th June 2008 at 10:21 AM.

BBQ Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Polarix View Post
    I don't believe Creative has released drivers that support their products for vista.

...I think, there was a very large issue on that.
    They have released a minimum pack that will make the card work and sound like ****. I know, I spent a week trying to fix my Audigy 2 Platinum!!! I read every tutorial, every stupid way of forcing drivers, modified registry, modified my drivers!!! For what? For a fancy design on an OS? I spent 300 euros when that card came out and I cannot use it? Hell no, back to XP and stay there!

The problem with Vista is that it has a new approach that should offer better SNR and higher fidelity. Creative is working on the problem by launching a new line of products Vista compatible. The current ones will not get the support they deserve. Rip people off for money 101 .

Cranky Bastage

My understanding was that Creative was one of the last mainstream hardware manufacturers to release Vista drivers, and that the problems affected only certain models of Creative sound cards (my Audigy 2 Value worked fine in Vista 64-bit, though admittedly, I don't take advantage of the Creative software that comes with it).

As far as I knew, DX9 and 10 are included in the Vista install. Not sure what might be causing you problems there.

ThinkPad T500 2081-CTO:
    T9400, 4GB DDR3, 15.4" WSXGA+ TFT CCFL with camera, ATI Mobility Radeon 3650 256MB GDDR3, 160GB 7200RPM HDD, Ultrabay Slim DVD R/W, ExpressCard/PC Card, fingerprint reader, AT&T WWAN, Intel WiFi Link 5300, 9-cell battery
    Laptops I've owned in the past:
    HP 6710b | Dell Inspiron 6000D | Toshiba Satellite 5105-S607 | IBM ThinkPad A20m | IBM ThinkPad 570E | IBM ThinkPad 600E | Compaq Armada 1750 | Gateway Solo 2100

Notebook Consultant

Sorry if this sounds patronising, but are you sure you're installing the correct drivers for the XtremeAudio?

I ask because the XtremeAudio is not actually a true X-Fi, they're rebadged Audigy SE cards, and thus use a different driver set to the rest of the X-Fi range.

Notebook Guru

Yes yes and yes to everyone.

I DLed drivers off of Creative's website AND the ones on the install disk, to no avail.
    I can't believe Dell would sell this card with VISTA when it has known problems of WORKING.

I thought DX9 came on Vista too but apparently, when I tried to install C&C 3, it said I didn't have DX installed. Went to Microsoft and DLed DX9 AND DX10 and tried to install either one. Neither worked ... didn't even get to the progess bar on the install screen and it went "Not Responding."

Rediculous. I'm gonna try another graphics driver since I installed, 174.93 for my 8600 GT ... you think that's the problem?

And Jake, I installed the specific Express Card SB X-FI Xtreme Audio drivers off of Creative's site.

Notebook Consultant

Installed just fine on mine.
    Dell XPS m1330; Crimson Red; T7300; 2gb RAM; 200gb HDD; LED Display w/webcam; Bluetooth; Intel Next-Gen N; FP Reader; 9-cell primary

ASUS G51J-A1; 15.6" LED @ 1920x1080p; Intel Core i7-720QM; 4GB DDR3; Geforce GTX 260M 1GB DDR3; 640GB (320x2) @ 7200rpm; Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast