Quantcast Do Dell have accelerometers?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Notebook Guru

Default Do Dell have accelerometers?

i own a M1530 but i dont know if the laptop has a built in acceleromete like the thinkpads and the macbooks. does dell offer this in their line of laptops?

Notebook Enthusiast

Default Re: Do Dell have accelerometers?

Accelerometer wha??? Why do you want to measure the amount of gravity acceleration in your laptop for? Did you mean Readyboost or Turbo?
    Alienware Area-51 m15x
    Windows Vista Ultimate 64|| X9000 Core 2 Extreme || 4GB RAM || GeForce 8800M GTX || 7200 RPM 320GB SATA || WUXGA 1920 x 1200

X2P
    I♥COOLING | NBR Super Mod

Quote Originally Posted by Notebooka View Post
    Accelerometer wha??? Why do you want to measure the amount of gravity acceleration in your laptop for? Did you mean Readyboost or Turbo?
    what he said 0.0 weird
    NotebookReview.com | Super Moderator
    PCGamingCorner.com | Partner Site

Notebook-Cooling.com | Editor in Chief
    GadgetSurge.com | Editor in Chief

Latest Review: | Razer Onza Tournament Edition
    Latest Article: | Latest Gadget News

Notebook Consultant

Notebooka: No, he didn't mean Readyboost or Turbo.

Accelerometers tend to be built into a number of laptop models for purposes of data security. A small driver constantly monitors several accelerometers (usually at least three, one for each axis) and will park the hard drive heads if it detects freefall, or a sharp knock.

Hard drives are now coming supplied with their own, for simplicity's sake (plus a faster response to dangerous impacts).

Rekxxor: In answer to your query, yes and no. Some (if not all) Dell notebooks can be configured with a harddrive featuring a freefall sensor. The notebook itself does not feature an accelerometer.

Notebook Enthusiast

K man, sorry for the mishap... Now I know what it is... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accelerometer I heard bout this word but i thought it has something got to do with the calculation of gravity.
    Alienware Area-51 m15x
    Windows Vista Ultimate 64|| X9000 Core 2 Extreme || 4GB RAM || GeForce 8800M GTX || 7200 RPM 320GB SATA || WUXGA 1920 x 1200

Notebook Deity

it is about that

Notebook Evangelist

acceleration isn't just gravity.....acceleration is by what rate are you speeding up, so acceleration by gravity is one (actually 9.8 m/s^2), but cars, for example, can also accelerate. Yes accelerometers can be used to measure gravitational acceleration.
    I have a lot of computers, varying greatly in performance. From computers less powerful than your phone, to servers with more processor cores than are necessary. But more of the first one.

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Mark Twain

Notebook Geek

Most Dell laptops now come with HDD's that have "Free Fall Sensors".
    Dell XPS M1730 - Smoke Grey
    Core 2 Duo T9300 2.50GHz, 4GB Dual Channel RAM, 320GB (7200rpm) SATA RAID 0 Stripe (2x160GB), Dual SLi 512MB NVIDIAŽ GeForceŽ 8800M GTX, Ageia PhysX 100M Processor.
    Dell XPS M1330 - Tuxedo Black

Core 2 Duo T9300 2.50GHz, 4GB Dual Channel RAM, 320GB HDD, 128MB NVIDIAŽ GeForceŽ 8400M GS, LED.

Banned

Free fall sensors- what is this for?

Notebook Geek

They detect if the laptop is falling or thrown or generally going through unusual movement. When this occurs the heads in the HDD move away from the plates to stop damage occuring to the HDD.
    Dell XPS M1730 - Smoke Grey
    Core 2 Duo T9300 2.50GHz, 4GB Dual Channel RAM, 320GB (7200rpm) SATA RAID 0 Stripe (2x160GB), Dual SLi 512MB NVIDIAŽ GeForceŽ 8800M GTX, Ageia PhysX 100M Processor.
    Dell XPS M1330 - Tuxedo Black

Core 2 Duo T9300 2.50GHz, 4GB Dual Channel RAM, 320GB HDD, 128MB NVIDIAŽ GeForceŽ 8400M GS, LED.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast