Quantcast Stuck screw in my Dell laptop

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Notebook Evangelist

Default Stuck screw in my Dell laptop

Hi, I have a 1330. I decided to take out the h/d when I recieved the machine to see how easy it was. In putting it back together, something went wrong. I don't know what exactly happened but the screw in the hole which is really long is stuck. It seems to have "caught" somewhere in the hole's entrance. I can spin it around but it neither comes in nor out. It does not come out when I turn the machine upside down. I can get in there with a small screwdriver and lift one side up but that does nothing. Does anyone have any ideas of what happened and more importantly, how to get out of this? I can't get the h/d out now and that, obviously, is a problem. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Yasmine
    Last edited by yasdaz; 29th December 2007 at 01:31 AM.

sly
    m1530 owner!!!

Default Re: Stuck screw in my Dell laptop

try one of those screw drivers with the magnetic heads and then lift it out . otherwise if its real problem call dell

DELL XPS 1530
    2GB RAM
    2 GHZ CORE2DUO
    8600MGT GDDR3

Notebook Evangelist

Hi, I did call Dell Tech Support (in fact their xps t/s). The guy was nice but was basically giving me useless tips that would not work. No mention of a repair.

NBR Super Moderator

They probably won't offer to repair it, since you were the one the damaged it. Honestly, you probably stripped the screw and it might be a pain to get out.
    Desktop   15" Macbook Pro Retina
    W7 Ultimate, Core i7 4770k, Crucial M500 240GB SSD   
    16GB RAM, GTX 780, 3x Dell U2412M Surround
       Mavericks, Core i7 4750HQ, 8GB RAM
       256GB SSD, 32GB iPad Air

It used to be the iLand..

Yes, to be honest when you opened up the machine you probably invalidated the guarantee so they won't be overly inclined to help unfortunately

Notebook Consultant

Try a pair of very thin tweezers to try and grip both sides.

Yes I am better than you!

Quote Originally Posted by mattireland View Post
    Yes, to be honest when you opened up the machine you probably invalidated the guarantee so they won't be overly inclined to help unfortunately
    The OP didn't say he opened the machine......he took the hard drive out which is a user serviceable part and will not void the warranty.

Having said that however, since the OP caused the problem, Dell won't repair it at their expense.

Notebook Evangelist

Hi, thanks for all the replies. You will not believe how I solved this. First, the problem was that there were two different sizes of screws, one long, one short. For some reason, instead of just not fitting, as it were, when the screws are put into the wrong holes they get stuck. As far as I am concerned, this is a design flaw and Dell should mention this in their book that comes with the 1330. I don't think anyone should reasonably be able to know that the screw in the wrong hole will get stuck, not just not fit. Anyway, I was picking up some ram so I asked the people at the store. The guy said that it was simple; take a flat edge and use it as a wedge to pull one end of the screw higher than the other, then simply use the screwdriver to turn the screw out of the hole. It worked! So now I know a great tip for this situation which I will be passing on to any tech I meet. It's so easy and simple! At least my crisis is solved and I so appreciate everyone's contribution.

It used to be the iLand..

Thanks for letting me know about this - c'est interessant. Glad you got it fixed!

Notebook Evangelist

Congrats on getting it fixed, it didn't sound to tough to do luckily.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast