Quantcast Dell Vista Laptop Reformat and Bloatware Removal Guide - Page 76

Closed Thread
Page 76 of 234 FirstFirst ... 266672737475767778798086126176 ... LastLast
    NBR Assassin

Default Re: Dell Vista Laptop Reformat and Bloatware Removal Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Widge View Post
    Oh yeah, I've seen that. But I was wondering if getting a partition and a restore would be the best step before embarking on tweakage?
    Oh

I would make your secondary partition and create a backup image of your OS partition. That way you can always revert back to a clean install setting if you need to.

After doing that, I installed all my programs, did all the tweaks, and then created a backup image of both partitions (I have it all on an external hard drive).

*NEW*Dell XPS 13 Ultrabook: i5|FHD|256GB SSD|Windows 8.1 64-bit
    Desktop: Antec 300|GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked|i7 920|6 GB DDR3|WD 750 GB + 640 GB|Corsair 650W|Windows 7 64-bit

Steam Games Deals Thread | Updating Mobile Graphics Cards Drivers | Forum Rules | Gaming Forum Information Booth

Notebook Consultant

Haha! No worries, I'm one of the rare few who like to sit and hoover up info FIRST before asking away.

Ah right, so plough on with my plan then. Partition off, make image and then tweak away.

Is 8 GB enough? EDIT: No! I'm using 17GB after a clean install anyway! Looks like about 25GB...

Gah, I've got no DVDs left, I'll have to put this on hold until I scrounge one up. OH actually, I'm being an idiot, I can make an image on the big partition and then burn to DVD at my leisure.
    Last edited by Widge; 27th February 2008 at 04:56 PM.
    m1530
    Crimson Red
    l502x
    Silver

NBR Assassin

Haha! No worries, I'm one of the rare few who like to sit and hoover up info FIRST before asking away.

Ah right, so plough on with my plan then. Partition off, make image and then tweak away.
    What I would do

Is 8 GB enough? EDIT: No! I'm using 17GB after a clean install anyway! Looks like about 25GB...
    I personally have my OS partition set at 35 GB, but I also have Office 2007 Ultimate installed on it. Those 2 things together total to be 20.4 GB currently, with a few more to be used by SP1 and future updates.

Gah, I've got no DVDs left, I'll have to put this on hold until I scrounge one up. OH actually, I'm being an idiot, I can make an image on the big partition and then burn to DVD at my leisure.

*NEW*Dell XPS 13 Ultrabook: i5|FHD|256GB SSD|Windows 8.1 64-bit
    Desktop: Antec 300|GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked|i7 920|6 GB DDR3|WD 750 GB + 640 GB|Corsair 650W|Windows 7 64-bit

Steam Games Deals Thread | Updating Mobile Graphics Cards Drivers | Forum Rules | Gaming Forum Information Booth

reinstalled vista and did all the tweaks for my vostro 1500, thanks op. My only problem is that I can't get my wireless going. under other devices network controller has the question mark to it. i downloaded the 1390 wireless driver is there something else that i am missing. when i go into the dell wireless utility i get the error "the wireless network adapter could not be accessed". the switch is in the on position. i had it on my network before i uninstalled, i know i am missing something, please help. thanks!

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by darthsat View Post
    vitog123, to get past that stage of installation, I think you have to do the following:

First, save the Intel Matrix Storage Manager Driver to a USB drive. After that, begin the reformatting steps.

1. Boot with vista ultimate disk.
    2. Format the drive desired.
    3. After it formats the drive, there will be a button that says "Load Driver". Click it and install the Intel Matrix Storage Manager driver from the USB drive to that newly formatted drive.
    4. Start the vista installation.

It should complete the installation correctly.
    thanks it worked!

Notebook Consultant

Interesting, vista 'drive' sits there at about 19GB full.... I did an Acronis Image and that shows up as 5.34GB. I wonder if it compresses it?

May get some DVD9's, get a 'fresh install' disc and an 'install with steam and ableton and fave programs' disc.
    m1530
    Crimson Red
    l502x
    Silver

Notebook Deity

Quote Originally Posted by vitog123 View Post
    thanks it worked!
    Excellent to hear.

Hi

One final thing...

Do you need to install the Intel Matrix at the end even if you use the Dell OS disk?

Ta

Notebook Enthusiast

Second time I've tried now.

I follow the steps, and when windows boots up, I insert the dell media direct CD. Nothing happens. So I open it manually, open the dell kit folder and attempt to execute the dell kit program.

It takes FOREVER to load, and then comes up with an Error message stating "Data Cyclic error, D: something something"

Les
    Not associated with NotebookReview in any way

That might occur if the original installation of MediaDirect was not completed.

Can you confirm that you followed the steps by initially creating the partitions through the Mediadirect disk first, then reboot and install Vista, and only then put the mediadirect disk back in and find and execute dellkit?