Quantcast Dell and Video Cards...some can be replaced

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast
    Notebook Evangelist

Default Dell and Video Cards...some can be replaced

From time to time I've noticed some people asking if they can replace the video cards in their Dell laptops.

The answer is...in many of Dell's laptops, you can change the video card. However, THIS IS NOT SANCTIONED BY DELL AND WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY IF YOUR COMPUTER FAILS. So replace at your own risk.

The only laptop currently that offers sanctioned upgrades is the XPS. However, say you bought a 5150 with a 32 MB Video card. You can purchase the 64 MB Card offered for that system from Dell's spare parts. You can only replace a video card that was specifically made for that system. For instance, you can upgrade (on your own) a 64 MB Geforce FX 5200 to an ATI 9600 128 MB in the Inspiron 8600, because both of these video cards are produced for the 8600. However, you cannot replace a 64 MB Geforce FX 5200 with an ATI 9600 in an Inspiron 5150 because the ATI 9600 form factor is not compatible with the 5150.

Bottom line, AT YOUR OWN RISK, you can replace a video card in most newer Dell systems with video cards specifically made for that system. BUT THIS WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY. Unless of course you have an XPS, and when the newest video card comes out, Dell will replace that for you.

Instructions on how to replace video cards are found on Dell's website.

Notebook Enthusiast

This is good to know. My only regret with my 9100 is not getting the 128mb video card.
    I'm still going to give Dell a call and see what they can do about it. I'm not a huge gamer though and the 64mb card is more than enough for all the games I have.
    For now anyways, I'm sure in the future I will need that 128.

Notebook Enthusiast

can the 8600 take a 9700 128? or the next gen of ATI cards?

Notebook Evangelist

As of now, the best video card available for the 8600 is the ATI 9600 128 MB. The only cards available for the 8600 are the options offered for that system. If (although unlikely) Dell adds a newer video card to the 8600 line, then you can replace it.

The ATI 9700 card WILL NOT work with the 8600.

where to boy a separate video parts?

Notebook Evangelist

The safest place to is to call Dell's Spare Parts. I don't know the number off hand.

Sometimes, you have to speak to more than one individual because they don't like to give these parts out. But with patience, it can be done.

Notebook Enthusiast

just don't tell dell you replace your video card

Notebook Enthusiast

quote:
    Originally posted by zxcvb
    [br]just don't tell dell you replace your video card

cant replace it, the video card is actually attached to the motherboard.

www.ComputerOfAmerica.com <---best computers in the world

Notebook Evangelist

No, actually some of Dell's models have video cards that aren't attached. You can do a search for service manuals on particular models at Dell's website that shows you how to remove video cards.

I cracked open my Dell 5150 case the other day (to clean out some crud in the heatsink) and happened to have a look at the graphics card. I've got a geforce FX5200 Go 64mb, which is ok i guess, but I wouldn't mind having either a Geforce FX5650 Go or an ATI 9600...Does anyone know if the connectors from the display to the graphics card are compatible? Iif not, would some 'creative' soldering enable you to fit one of these cards in? The graphics are really the only think holding back the system...

Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast