Quantcast "WARNING: 70 Watt (20V, 3.5A) AC Adapter Detected.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default "WARNING: 70 Watt (20V, 3.5A) AC Adapter Detected.

I have a Dell Inspiron 8200. I get an odd error when booting up, "WARNING: 70 Watt (20V, 3.5A) AC Adapter Detected. System will not bt capable of running in full performance mode without a 90 Watt (20V, 4.5A) AC Adapter. Yet, I have the P-9 90 Watt Family Adapter (20V, 3.5A). Once pressing F1 to continue Booting, it boots to XP Pro with no problem (s). Although, the entire time the battery DOES NOT charge. Could this be an issue with a Voltage Regulator on the board?

Spawncho

"You can take the MARINE out of the corps, but you can't take the corps out of the MARINE"

Working at 486 Speed

Yes, you have a problem here. I've used both a 70 and 90 watt power cord with my old 8200, so I know the message you're getting well. I still never had a prolem charging though, it just didn't run at full speed. I doubt it's the cord, but that is a cheaper problem to troubleshoot if you're no longer under warranty.

Editor in Chief http://www.bargainPDA.com and http://www.SPOTstop.com

Warranty is dead. Any additional ideas are always welcomed. I feel better knowing I won't end up with LEFT-OVER SCREWS now.

Spawncho

"You can take the MARINE out of the corps, but you can't take the corps out of the MARINE"

Hi, I have the same problem with an inspiron 8100, also with a dead warranty. However, I have tried with both power supplies, and dell states that there is only one type. They sent me a similar one, and ofcause it did NOT solve the problem. Any ideas?

Working at 486 Speed

Short of making sure you have updated drivers everywhere and the latest bios, no. Anyone else?

Editor in Chief http://www.bargainPDA.com and http://www.SPOTstop.com

Notebook Enthusiast

I have a Dell Inspiron 8200 and I am now getting the same message on start up! Has anyone been able to fix the problem yet, or any clearer on what is causing the problem?

I've got this problem too, and have done for the past six months. I have two 90 Watt chargers, and an in-car charger, and the 8200 exhibits the same problem with any of these attached.

But here's the thing - I know exactly when the problems started. The laptop had frozen one evening, and I had to force-restart it. When I did, I saw that message for the first time, and have done ever since!

It's obviously a problem that many people are experiencing, and Dell should really address it.

Default Re: "WARNING: 70 Watt (20V, 3.5A) AC Adapter Detected.

My friend consulted my computer help. His Inspiron 8200 gave him that 70-watt power adapter message. Dell sent him a new 90-watt adapter and it did not fix the problem. Dell then told him that since hes out of warranty they would charge him $700 for a new motherboard ($500 for the mobo and $200 for service). So he bought a gateway, lol.

After the laptop sat unused for over a year, he told me about it and asked if i thought i could fix it. I opened it up and inspected it inside and out with no luck. I determined that the laptop works with the AC power adapter (hit F2 on the error screen and windows boots) but it does not charge the battery which lost all of its charge by sitting for over a year. He thought the problem was in the power jack that he jammed once and a pin bent (he bent the pin back). I tested all the pins for continuity and they all were fine. One thing i noticed is that the dell design with the 3-pin power jack is stupid, only 2 of the pins are really being used (like normal DC ciruits). So after all that I put the computer back together and started some research on new parts.

I found working motherboards on ebay for around $250 but I also stumbled upon another part called a powerboard. It attaches to the mainboard and sits underneath the videocard. They are on ebay for around $25. I dont know exactly what this part does but it is also called the charging board and a lot of the auctions claim that if you are having problems with your computer powering up or charging the battery that you should replace this. This sounds to me to be the problem but since the power goes through the motherboard before getting to this board, i dont know if i will still need to replace the motherboard. What I plan on doing is a little more research on this powerboard and possibly purchase one and install it within the next few weeks. Then I will post on here what my results are.

This is the most I have seen anyone find out about this particular issue and I hope that I will be able to resolve this dihlema for everyone. So far my hypothesis is that a new powerboard will fix the problem. And I hope it does.

-Andrew

Any Luck with it? I saw those power boards. I am getting the same error. Surprising for me is I used this Inspiron 8200 for 3 years now and all of a sudden it started getting this error.

Please let me know if you can solve this problem with replacing power boards from EBAY. As I don't plan on spending more on this machine.

Thanks in Advance,
    Tommy

No dice. The powerboard I bought did not fix the problem. At this point I will not be spending the money to get a new motherboard but I will post if I try anything else. I did see on another messageboard someone who fixed it using a new powerboard, so the problem can be caused by the powerboard and/or the motherboard.

-Andrew

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast