Quantcast Wireless just turn off automatically

Closed Thread
    Notebook Consultant

Default Wireless just turn off automatically

For some reason my wireless adapter would turn off by itself. The Wifi light below the screen would also be off. Is this a sign of my wireless adapter failing?
    Laptop- HP DV2000/Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2 GHz/2 GB RAM/Nvidia 8400 GS/160 GB 5400 RPM/Bluetooth/Finger Print Reader/

Upgraded Desktop-Intel Core 2 Quad @ 2.83 Ghz with Tuniq Tower/HIS Radeon HD 4870/Thermaltake Power Express 450 Watt VGA Powersupply/Gigabyte GA P35 DS3L/Corsair VX450 PSU/4 GB Ram

Drinking the good stuff

Default Re: Wireless just turn off automatically

Is your E1505 plugged in or on battery power?

Mike.
    Rig:
    Intel Xeon W3520 @ 4.2GHz (1.20V) | Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P | OCZ Platinum 6GB PC3-12800 (7-7-7-24) | XFX HD 5870 | 2x Intel 80GB G2 SSD RAID 0 | X-Fi Titanium Fatality | Corsair HX850 | CoolerMaster ATCS 840 (Black)

Cooling:
    HEATKILLER LT CPU Waterblock | Laing DDC-3.2 w/ XSPC Reservoir Top | XSPC RX 480 w/ Scythe Gentle Typhoons

Westinghouse L2410NM / LG L246WP-BN | HP 2335 → Nintendo Wii

Notebook Consultant

Plugged in.
    Laptop- HP DV2000/Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2 GHz/2 GB RAM/Nvidia 8400 GS/160 GB 5400 RPM/Bluetooth/Finger Print Reader/

Upgraded Desktop-Intel Core 2 Quad @ 2.83 Ghz with Tuniq Tower/HIS Radeon HD 4870/Thermaltake Power Express 450 Watt VGA Powersupply/Gigabyte GA P35 DS3L/Corsair VX450 PSU/4 GB Ram

Notebook Enthusiast

I have the same problem. Once in a while, my wireless will just turn off and I'll have to restart it to get it back on. The little WiFi light next to the Bluetooth light goes out and there's nothing I can do to get it back on without restarting (i.e. Fn+F2 does nothing, and I've also gone into device managers, etc).

This happened every 10 minutes or so when I was at a friend's house (where I was on an unsecure network), but never happened at home until very recently (where the network is secure).
    Dell Inspiron E1705. Intel Core Duo 2.0 GHz. 2 GHz DDR2 at 667MHz. 256meg 7900GS. 100GB SATA at 7200rpm. SoundBlaster Audigy HD. 17" UXGA with TrueLife.
    OC 500/1100 06:4301 05:7821

Notebook Geek

Quote Originally Posted by ahwang View Post
    I have the same problem. Once in a while, my wireless will just turn off and I'll have to restart it to get it back on. The little WiFi light next to the Bluetooth light goes out and there's nothing I can do to get it back on without restarting (i.e. Fn+F2 does nothing, and I've also gone into device managers, etc).

This happened every 10 minutes or so when I was at a friend's house (where I was on an unsecure network), but never happened at home until very recently (where the network is secure).
    Hi there guys,

First of all are you guys using Windows Vista?
    Second of all, did you guys just recently update your wireless drivers with the Intel wireless drivers from Intel's website?

The reason I ask is that there seems to be an issue affecting some users (myself included until a few days ago) where if you are using Vista and you update your wireless drivers for those from Intel's website then your wireless adapter will start disabling itself automatically for no apparent reason while you're surfing the net. The only way to re enable the adapter is to reboot the computer. The way I finally got rid of this issue was to completely uninstall the Intel wireless driver that I had gotten from Intel's website and let Vista install its own default driver for my wireless card since then the problem of the adapter light coming off and disabling the connection has gone away, the only hiccup in all of this is that I noticed that the signal strength for my wireless is lower than it was before (i'm getting 3 out of 5 bars even when my laptop is right next to my router, which does not make any sense whereas before i would always have full strength 5 bars out of 5 even when I was 2 floors away from the router). It seems that I have sacrificed some signal strength in exchange for the adapter not turning itself off by using the Vista default wireless drivers.

I'm not sure how wide spread this problem is but
    I myself was having this issue a while ago until I ran into some other people over at notebookforums.com with the same problem ,here is the thread it might provide you guys with some additional help and information

http://www.notebookforums.com/thread197326.html

Hope this helps but I wonder if other people were having this issue could please chime in here and give a possible solution that would enable me to go back and use the Intel wireless drivers without the adapter light turning off

Thank you
    Last edited by eessie; 9th June 2007 at 04:11 PM.
    Intel i7-4700MQ 2.4GHz with Turbo Boost 3.4GHz | 16GB DDR3 SDRAM | 2GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M with switchable graphics | 17" Full HD LED-backlit touchscreen display (1920 x 1080) | 1TB 5400RPM HDD | SuperMulti DVD burner | Beats Audio by Dr. DRE (quad speakers + sub woofer) | Backlit Keyboard |