Quantcast My new laptop 9 cell battery lasts less than 2 hours?is this normal?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Notebook Enthusiast

Default My new laptop 9 cell battery lasts less than 2 hours?is this normal?

my inspiron 9400 arrived a few days ago, and after i fully charged the battery it only lasted for 1:45 with power saving profile then i fully charged it again and restarted the laptop enterd the bios to see how long would it last without windows loaded and it went out after 2 hours,is this normal,i mean when orderd they said it should last between 4 till 5 hours.i used to play movies on my dead ASUS for 3 hours

Notebook Evangelist

Default Re: My new laptop 9 cell battery lasts less than 2 hours?is this normal?

Could you please provide us with your laptop's specs and what you were doing (ie. applications, wireless on, bluetooth on, etc.) so that we can get a better idea of what the issue is. Also if while you were in the BIOS run if the wireless cards were turned on as well.

Notebook Enthusiast

Default Re: My new laptop 9 cell battery lasts less than 2 hours?is this normal?

Quote Originally Posted by gohanssjn View Post
    Could you please provide us with your laptop's specs and what you were doing (ie. applications, wireless on, bluetooth on, etc.) so that we can get a better idea of what the issue is. Also if while you were in the BIOS run if the wireless cards were turned on as well.
    sorry about that
    specs:
    Intel Core Duo 2060 1.6
    1024 MB ram
    Go 7900GS
    80GB HDD 7200RPM
    Wifi and BT were off in both Vista and the BIOS

ZzzZzz

What is the OS ? Is it Vista (*shivers*) ?
    If the answer is positive, you can try a Live Linux Distro and see how much battery life it has.
    Thinkpad T400
    Older laptop : ASUS W3J

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by mujtaba View Post
    What is the OS ? Is it Vista (*shivers*) ?
    If the answer is positive, you can try a Live Linux Distro and see how much battery life it has.
    but i already tried the battery without vista loaded i mean in the BIOS

Notebook Evangelist

Yeah, I am not positive, I have a 1210, but those numbers do seem low.

EDIT: Wow, just read the latest stuff, and maybe Vista does suck more power...but a lot of site's are on the fence. I may load my HD thats set to Dual boot and try some tests...
    Last edited by gohanssjn; 18th April 2007 at 02:44 PM.

The Random Mod

Hmm.... what are you trying to do with the computer when running it on battery? You said power saving so I'm assuming the nic card is off and the screen is atleast dimmed. I won't even ask about wifi on. Does the bios say the battery is okay? Perhaps you should check a program like mobilemeter to see if there is an unusual amount of wear. When you press the button on the battery to make the charge status lights come on, what do they do? Do they function normally? Also what does the battery indicator light on your hinge do? Any out of the ordinary there?

I wouldn't be surprised if Vista is messing it up though, as the above have said.

Beat up Thinkpad T400 | Acer Iconia W510 | Samsung Focus Flash
    Penny'l start a fire.

Notebook Enthusiast

its weird because the battery didnt live much longer in the bios more than vista!
    BTW can you guys recommend me good battery monitor that can work with Vista?
    thanks

Notebook Evangelist

My computer runs about the same time with Vista, btw. Maybe I am the exception, but I run a Balanced profile, 5/7 brightness, and Aero and get about the same time I did with XP.

And I have never used a battery program, sorry. I am sure someone here has though.

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphical View Post
    Hmm.... what are you trying to do with the computer when running it on battery? You said power saving so I'm assuming the nic card is off and the screen is atleast dimmed. I won't even ask about wifi on. Does the bios say the battery is okay? Perhaps you should check a program like mobilemeter to see if there is an unusual amount of wear. When you press the button on the battery to make the charge status lights come on, what do they do? Do they function normally? Also what does the battery indicator light on your hinge do? Any out of the ordinary there?

I wouldn't be surprised if Vista is messing it up though, as the above have said.
    ummmm Metamorphical did suggest a battery checker....lol
    Dell Inspiron E1505: Intel Core 2 Duo @ 1.66GHz, ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 with 256MB and Hyper Memory, 250GB Seagate HDD, 2GB Corsair RAM, TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-L632D, Sanyo 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery and Windows 7 Ultimate x64

en route: Lenovo T500

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast