Quantcast Dell XPS 15z (L511z) BIOS modding (UEFI booting, Nvidia GFX replacement, Advanced Menus, Native Speedstep) and more!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Dell XPS 15z (L511z) BIOS modding (UEFI booting, Nvidia GFX replacement, Advanced Menus, Native Speedstep) and more!

Notebook Enthusiast

Default Dell XPS 15z (L511z) BIOS modding (UEFI booting, Nvidia GFX replacement, Advanced Menus, Native Speedstep) and more!

Hi all

Some of you may know my work from other bios modding forums - we have been busy researching on how to open the full potential of the Dell XPS laptops. After lots of hard work we have finally unlocked most, if not all, of our Dell's excellent hardware potential.

Initially I'll just be posting a few ROMs as a proof of concept. Once we get more requests - and importantly, feedback! - I'll start to add more configurable ROMs.

For now, here is the latest Dell XPS 15z A11 ROM, fully unlocked with Nvidia GPU undervolted to 0.83V/0.85V and native speedstep enabled for anyone who runs OSX.

CPU Support: All i3 series, i5 series and i7 series.

Note: I've kept the Intel vbios same as stock for now for compatibility purposes.

Get the file here: Dell XPS15z L511z BIOS A12

When I'm given more quota to upload a 2MB file to this form I'll post it here

Flash the file in windows with the following command line:
    winflash.exe /BIOS /EC /SA /SV /CVAR /BBL file.WPH

With gaming the temperature drops with the new bios because the GPU is undervolted. There's a brilliant thread by captainkasar on the L502x that explains this in more depth (he's using the same mods) so if you use it more for windows and gaming I'd strongly advise you to check out his thread. There's a bug in the nvidiainspector that shows 0.98V but its actually running at 0.85V (I know because I set those limits in the BIOS GPU)

DISCLAIMER: This file is for the Dell 15z only! Even though this flash is a safe process for this hardware, there is no (known) recovery method for Dell UEFI bioses yet and so I do not take any responsibility for improper use of this file!

Respect goes out to Mikhail, captainkasar, djjonastybe, kasar, androdev and Ahmed - thank you for the great work done so far! Let's unlock all the potential of our Dell machines!

Cheers
    jkbuha
    Last edited by jkbuha; 8th December 2012 at 12:27 PM.

Notebook Deity

Default Re: Dell XPS 15z (L511z) BIOS modding (UEFI booting, Nvidia GFX replacement, Advanced Menus, Native Speedstep) and more!

nice work!
    L502X,overclocked and undervolted GT525m, also the whole system is OCed, minidisplay to vga adapter, 2 HDD caddy,
    replaced thermal paste, removed dust filter to improve airflow, internal usb mod and modded BIOS & ME firmware, BIOS socket installed too.
    [MOD] Custom voltage modded L502X bioses + Unlocked menus + ME update + Overclocking
    [GUIDE] Setting up the L502X GPS
    [GUIDE] L502X Internal USB mod

Notebook Consultant

Default Re: Dell XPS 15z (L511z) BIOS modding (UEFI booting, Nvidia GFX replacement, Advanced Menus, Native Speedstep) and more!

A couple questions:

Does winflash work in Windows 8?

Do you see any improved battery life in windows with the undervolted GPU?

Thanks for your work on this, I'm glad to see an active community still thriving for the 15Z!
    ASUS N61JQ-A1: i7 720QM, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD + 500GB HD in optical bay - Windows 7/ Linux Mint 12

Dell XPS 15Z: i7-2640M, 6GB RAM, 120 GB Vertex 3 SSD - Windows 8

Notebook Enthusiast

Yes to both questions. At 0.83V win8 runs faster especially on GPU intensive operations. Cant wait to find a way to undervolt both the i7 and the intel hd3000 as well

if i have a 15z, but with i5 2410
    would these work and what do they do actually? I'm quite interested but i don't know what i'm getting too? XD

Notebook Enthusiast

I guess if you're asking those questions it's probably better if you don't flash this bios. They're quite advanced and let you do specific things like change memory timings, graphics processor priorities etc, but apply a wrong setting and you may be stuck in boot. Once we've found the way to flash recovery bioses (which actually is gathering momentum at the moment) it would be a better time to experiment with these bioses as it would then allow you to completely recover from any issues.

Quote Originally Posted by jkbuha View Post
    I guess if you're asking those questions it's probably better if you don't flash this bios. They're quite advanced and let you do specific things like change memory timings, graphics processor priorities etc, but apply a wrong setting and you may be stuck in boot. Once we've found the way to flash recovery bioses (which actually is gathering momentum at the moment) it would be a better time to experiment with these bioses as it would then allow you to completely recover from any issues.
    Ohh i though you had come with some ''default modded settings of those bios'' that would be working on every 15z.

The fact that you have achieve to bring the 525m to a 540m was pretty interesting too + the battery life aspect.

Notebook Evangelist

will you be modding other dell laptops bios?
    Current Laptop
    L501X: i7-620m, nvidia GT 420m, 4gb RAM

Old:
    Lenovo T520: i7-2720qm, NVS 4200m, 8gb RAM
    XPS m1530
    Inspiron 1720

Notebook Enthusiast

Depends what dell laptops. A lot of good work has been done on bios-mods forums, so feel free to look around and see if someone has already modded your bios. Otherwise feel free to ask.

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by jkbuha View Post
    Depends what dell laptops. A lot of good work has been done on bios-mods forums, so feel free to look around and see if someone has already modded your bios. Otherwise feel free to ask.
    Ive been trying to mod the XPS 15 (L501x) bios. I am able to change the voltages of the video cards and I have a bios from kizwan that unlocks additional menus. Some things I want to try but haven't been able to do/don't know how/not sure if is necessary:

+change video card (GT 420m to 435m or 525m or 540m) (they're all the same chip basically).
    +update cpu microcode
    +anything else that can enhance cpu performance.
    Current Laptop
    L501X: i7-620m, nvidia GT 420m, 4gb RAM

Old:
    Lenovo T520: i7-2720qm, NVS 4200m, 8gb RAM
    XPS m1530
    Inspiron 1720

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast