Quantcast XPS 14 UltraBook Owners Lounge - Page 6

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 193 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: XPS 14 UltraBook Owners Lounge

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by racertim View Post
    Pulled the trigger tonight. $1023 at the dell kiosk in the mall for the base model.
    How did you get it so low?!

Notebook Enthusiast

Default Re: XPS 14 UltraBook Owners Lounge

@Dell-Bill_B,

If you preview the student-only offers (x-box 360 promotion) on Dell Home the xps 14 configuration shown is an i7, 4gb ram, and a 256gb ssd.

I'm guessing this is a mistake on Dell's end somewhere along the line; I spent about a half an hour today chatting with a sales rep about it and they confirmed that the configuration being built for the student offer is the 8gb ram 500gb HDD option regularly available on Dell Home. Obviously the ssd configuration isn't available, any time frame on when it will be released and if the $1499.99 price is accurate? (I'd prefer the ssd over the extra ram). Thanks in advance.

I posted this here so others could see a potential configuration option in case they are like me and are hesitant about dropping $1500.00.

Notebook Consultant

Im not sure if you guys have noticed this but when I came across Bestbuy website, here is what I found

Product Features

From our expanded online assortment; not available in all Best Buy stores
    3rd Gen Intel® Core™ i7-3517U processor
    Features a 1.9GHz processor speed with Turbo Boost up to 2.8GHz.
    Intel® Core™ i7 processor
    Features 8-way processing for ultimate smart performance. Intel® Turbo Boost Technology delivers extra performance when you need it and increased energy efficiency when you don't.
    8GB DDR3 memory
    For multitasking power.
    Note: Optical drive not included
    Compatible with optional external recordable CD/DVD drives (not included).
    14" WLED high-definition display
    With 400 cd/m² brightness and Gorilla Glass slim bezel showcases movies and games in stunning clarity.
    Intel® Wireless Display
    Wirelessly transmits streamed or downloaded movies, TV shows, music, photos and more from your laptop, network or the Internet to your TV (NETGEAR Push2TV adapter required, not included).
    500GB hard drive (5400 rpm)
    Along with a 32GB solid state drive offers spacious storage and fast read/write times.
    NVIDIA N13P-GV graphics
    Feature 1GB GDDR5 dedicated video memory for lush images and vivid detail. HDMI output for connection to an HDTV.
    Built-in 1.3MP HD webcam
    Makes it easy to video chat with family and friends.
    Multiformat media reader
    Supports Secure Digital, Secure Digital Input/Output and SDXC formats.
    2 USB 3.0 ports
    For fast digital video, audio and data transfer.
    Built-in Intel® 6235 wireless LAN (802.11n)
    Connect to the Internet without wires.
    Bluetooth 4.0 interface
    Easily link with other Bluetooth-enabled devices, such as a mobile phone or MP3 player.
    Built-in 10/100 Mbps Ethernet LAN
    For quick and easy wired Web connection.
    Weighs 4.7 lbs. and measures just 0.8" thin
    For easy portability.
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64-bit operating system with Service Pack 1 (SP1) preinstalled
    Provides a stable platform for word processing, Web navigation, gaming, media storage and more.
    Software package included
    With Microsoft Office Starter 2010 (product key card required for activation; sold separately).
    Intel, Pentium, Celeron, Centrino, Core, Viiv, Intel Inside and the Intel Inside logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Intel Corporation or its subsidiaries in the United States and other countries.

For $1299, same specs on Dell website would cost you $1499 O_o Am i missing something?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dell+-+14%26%2334%3B+XPS+Laptop+-+8GB+Memory+-+500GB+Hard+Drive+%2B+32GB+Solid+State+Drive+-+Aluminum+Silver/5700326.p?id=1218682373060&skuId=5700326&st=dell%20xps&cp=1&lp=11

http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-14-l421x/pd.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&~ck=mn
    Dell - 14" XPS Laptop - 8GB Memory - 500GB Hard Drive + 32GB Solid State Drive - Aluminum Silver - XPS14-1591

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by alastiar View Post
    Im not sure if you guys have noticed this but when I came across Bestbuy website, here is what I found

Product Features

From our expanded online assortment; not available in all Best Buy stores
    3rd Gen Intel® Core™ i7-3517U processor
    Features a 1.9GHz processor speed with Turbo Boost up to 2.8GHz.
    Intel® Core™ i7 processor
    Features 8-way processing for ultimate smart performance. Intel® Turbo Boost Technology delivers extra performance when you need it and increased energy efficiency when you don't.
    8GB DDR3 memory
    For multitasking power.
    Note: Optical drive not included
    Compatible with optional external recordable CD/DVD drives (not included).
    14" WLED high-definition display
    With 400 cd/m² brightness and Gorilla Glass slim bezel showcases movies and games in stunning clarity.
    Intel® Wireless Display
    Wirelessly transmits streamed or downloaded movies, TV shows, music, photos and more from your laptop, network or the Internet to your TV (NETGEAR Push2TV adapter required, not included).
    500GB hard drive (5400 rpm)
    Along with a 32GB solid state drive offers spacious storage and fast read/write times.
    NVIDIA N13P-GV graphics
    Feature 1GB GDDR5 dedicated video memory for lush images and vivid detail. HDMI output for connection to an HDTV.
    Built-in 1.3MP HD webcam
    Makes it easy to video chat with family and friends.
    Multiformat media reader
    Supports Secure Digital, Secure Digital Input/Output and SDXC formats.
    2 USB 3.0 ports
    For fast digital video, audio and data transfer.
    Built-in Intel® 6235 wireless LAN (802.11n)
    Connect to the Internet without wires.
    Bluetooth 4.0 interface
    Easily link with other Bluetooth-enabled devices, such as a mobile phone or MP3 player.
    Built-in 10/100 Mbps Ethernet LAN
    For quick and easy wired Web connection.
    Weighs 4.7 lbs. and measures just 0.8" thin
    For easy portability.
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64-bit operating system with Service Pack 1 (SP1) preinstalled
    Provides a stable platform for word processing, Web navigation, gaming, media storage and more.
    Software package included
    With Microsoft Office Starter 2010 (product key card required for activation; sold separately).
    Intel, Pentium, Celeron, Centrino, Core, Viiv, Intel Inside and the Intel Inside logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Intel Corporation or its subsidiaries in the United States and other countries.

For $1299, same specs on Dell website would cost you $1499 O_o Am i missing something?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dell+-+14%26%2334%3B+XPS+Laptop+-+8GB+Memory+-+500GB+Hard+Drive+%2B+32GB+Solid+State+Drive+-+Aluminum+Silver/5700326.p?id=1218682373060&skuId=5700326&st=dell%20xps&cp=1&lp=11

http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-14-l421x/pd.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&~ck=mn
    Dell - 14" XPS Laptop - 8GB Memory - 500GB Hard Drive + 32GB Solid State Drive - Aluminum Silver - XPS14-1591
    Best Buy found a slimmer margin to
    Price in. It also doesn't have the dell 1 year non-hardware warranty that you'd get if u buy from dell

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by Xps13SAM View Post
    Best Buy found a slimmer margin to
    Price in. It also doesn't have the dell 1 year non-hardware warranty that you'd get if u buy from dell
    I would take a chance on that and save $200, I"m sure bestbuy have 1 year coverage for all of their product right? Dell coverage is just a marketing gimmick,

"Accidental Damage Service: Service excludes theft, loss, and damage due to fire, flood or other acts of nature, or intentional damage." so what is that that they cover?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by alastiar View Post
    I would take a chance on that and save $200, I"m sure bestbuy have 1 year coverage for all of their product right? Dell coverage is just a marketing gimmick,

"Accidental Damage Service: Service excludes theft, loss, and damage due to fire, flood or other acts of nature, or intentional damage." so what is that that they cover?
    I am

Best buy gets their units online Tuesday and I can just ship to store and get it by next saturday

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyCoder View Post
    It's the price you have to pay for the slim build and premium materials. If you're happy with a brick with plastic panels on the bottom, then parts can easily be changed.
    There are thin laptops out there that have easily user-replaceable components. The 15" Sony Vaio SE has the hard drive, ODD, and memory available under a plastic panel with only two screws, and is thinner than the Dell XPS15. Similar ease of repairing could be done for a 14" laptop with no ODD. Don't make excuses for Dell's poor engineering.
    Last edited by MidnightSun; 30th June 2012 at 02:28 AM. Reason: Avoid personal attacks. This is your last warning. Thank you.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dorekk View Post
    There are thin laptops out there that have easily user-replaceable components. The 15" Sony Vaio SE has the hard drive, ODD, and memory available under a plastic panel with only two screws, and is thinner than the Dell XPS15. Similar ease of repairing could be done for a 14" laptop with no ODD. Don't make excuses for Dell's poor engineering.
    And BTW the 15" Vaio SE doesn't come with a cache SSD that's why it's cheaper.

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by hylton View Post
    Thors,

Thanks for clearing that up. I've only been reading what I can find. Had not run across anywhere yet talking about SATA III mSATA/m-PCI-e.

So for the moment, let's assume it's a SATA 2 on the mSATA w/ the XPS 14. Any idea if that will perform as well (relatively) as say an Intel 320 SATA II. I'm totally content w/ my current Intel 320 (120gb) drives as far as speed goes. So maybe I'll just put the OS on the mSATA when it arrives and drop one of my Intel 320 drives in there for storage.
    Yea, it will still be plenty fast. No need to worry about it. It really depends on the drive. As you guys know, all SSD drives are not created equal. That goes for mSATA, too.

The reason you haven't heard much talk is because it's an emerging tech. Last year all the Sandy Bridge based ThinkPads included the ability to either use a WWAN cell card in the PCIe slot, or a mSATA drive. Many of us used the 80GB Intel Series 310 mSATA as a boot drive. This allowed for three SSD drives in the chassis of the machine.

This year, many of the Ultrabooks are using mSATA SSD for the primary drive. Now that capacity for this form factor is 256GB, things are getting really interesting.

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by Xps13SAM View Post
    And BTW the 15" Vaio SE doesn't come with a cache SSD that's why it's cheaper.
    And the fit & finish on the Sony is no match for the XPS, we're talking MBP build quality here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dell Latitude 6430u | 14" 1600x900 | Windows 8 Professional x64 | Intel® Core™ i7-3667U 2.0 GHz | 8GB RAM |256GB mSATA SSD.
    Dell XPS 14 | 14" 1600x900 | Windows 8 Professional x64 | Intel® Core™ i5-3317U 1.7 GHz | 8GB RAM |Samsung 830 Series 128GB SSD.
    Dell Latitude E6400 | 14.1" 1440x900 | Windows 7 Professional x64 | Core 2 Duo P8700 2.54 GHz | 4GB RAM |Intel X-25M 80GB SSD.
    HP ProBook 6470b | 14" 1600x900 | Windows 7 Professional x64 | Core i5 2.5 GHz | 8GB RAM |Samsung 830 128GB SSD.

Page 6 of 193 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106 ... LastLast