Quantcast Reformatting my Dell Ultrabook 13

+ Reply to Thread

Default Reformatting my Dell Ultrabook 13

So I recently purchased the Dell Ultrabook 13 and decided to install linux on it. Now, I have decided to go back to Windows. I got my Win 7 installation disc and got an external dvd drive and started the process. Everything worked fine until I got to the point where I had to press install. When I press install, it tells me "A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk, CD, DVD, or USB flash drive, please insert it now. Note: If the Windows installation media is in the CD/DVD drive, you can safely remove it for this step." .
    Neither of these options let me continue with the install. I decided to get a flash drive and get all the possible drivers for my laptop model from the dell website and extracted them to my usb drive. I used the browse button and pointed to my usb flash drive and I still got the same result that says "No device drivers were found. Make sure that the installation media contains the correct drivers, and then click OK. I even tried putting the image on my USB flash drive and still got the same result. I tried installing Win 7 64-bit and 32-bit both giving me the same error. I searched around wayyyy to much and I could not find a possible solution to the problem. It would be great if someone could help me out or point me the in the right direction.
    Thank you!

Notebook Virtuoso

Default Re: Reformatting my Dell Ultrabook 13

Quote Originally Posted by v1ru5 View Post
    I got my Win 7 installation disc ...
    How did you get your Windows 7 installation disc? Did you download an ISO image and burn it to a DVD? If this is the case, either the ISO image is corrupt or the DVD was not written properly at the lowest speed. Re-download and re-burn.

Installing from a USB flash drive is another option.

Notebook Deity

I'd reccomend installing from a USB thumb drive.... On the other hand, if you're still stubborn (like me) and want to continue this, the distro is not asking for your DELL drivers, it's asking for the driver for your external CD/DVD drive. So you need to extract that external DVD/CD drive's drivers. Good luck!

P.S. I'll re-edit this and send you a link to a USB installation program where you can implement Win 7 on it.

EDIT: http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/...usbdvd_dwnTool

There you go

I had this same problem and was able to install succesfully using the usb port on the left side. Apparently the USB on the right side is USB3.0 compatible and the Windows 7 (even SP1) install program does not have the drivers built in to handle this port. The USB on the left side is only 2.0 and the install process completed normally with no mention of neding any drivers. Hope this helps.