Quantcast Help installing SanDisk Extreme in XPS L702x

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Notebook Enthusiast

Default Help installing SanDisk Extreme in XPS L702x

Hello all

I got a new Sandisk Extreme 120gb ssd, I decided to do a clean win7 pro 64bit installation, it took more than an hour to install win7 and when windows finally booted up, my laptop was freezing up randomly and when installing drivers and had to reboot the laptop, sometime it won't reboot. I decided to install back the two 500gb hd and now windows does not want to boot up, a line stay blinking on the upper rigth side of the screen. Now I put back the ssd and just keep getting error message that there were I/O problem with my ssd. I have the A14 bios version. Can someone help me out with this? Thanks

Notebook Enthusiast

Default Re: Help installing SanDisk Extreme in XPS L702x

Any idea someone? I'm formatting and installing windows 7 again on my ssd, and now I'm having problems with this installation. I'm so frustrated, ii is a $1200 laptop, first was the nvidia drivers and all the problems with bios a14 and now this.

Notebook Enthusiast

That's really weird... If your warranty is still on I would strongly suggest your to call Dell and ask for a change. Good luck!

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by pwr1009 View Post
    That's really weird... If your warranty is still on I would strongly suggest your to call Dell and ask for a change. Good luck!
    do you think they're gonna give me hard time because I did a windows clean installation? or void my warranty?

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by hectormuniz20 View Post
    do you think they're gonna give me hard time because I did a windows clean installation? or void my warranty?
    Don't worry it's absolutely your right to do a clean install and it doesn't void your warranty for sure.

If you want to be precocious you can always say that you didn't even start the computer when you receive it but did a clean install right away (which is your right).

Notebook Deity

Quote Originally Posted by pwr1009 View Post
    I doubt dell will do anything since the problem seems with the ssd. OP Have you simply tried reinstalling windows on the ssd with JUST that drive in the machine, make sure to take the 500gb drive out before you do this and see if it works if not tell me the problems exactly how they are. Dont try to install any drivers, just do this and then see. It could be the firmware on the ssd needs updating which can cause freezes etc.

Desktop:
    Corsair Obsidian 250D | Corsair AX 850 | ROG Maximus VI Impact | Intel Core I5 4670K @ 4.2Ghz | Corsair H100i | EVGA GTX 680 4GB | 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1600mhz |128GB Crucial M4 SSD (OS) | WD 1TB Caviar Black 7200rpm |

Notebook Deity

What Sam said. Make sure neither of the original drives are in the machine when you try to install the the SSD. Since boot files are placed on the old drives from the initial factory install, it can cause all kinds of issues to have them in when doing the new install.

Dell won't help out with issues on a drive you bought and installed. But on their supplied drives, they cannot deny you service for re-installing the same OS that came with the system. Despite what they might try to tell you. Been there with them on that before...(when I said I reformatted immediately, they couldn't understand why. According to them they install ZERO bloatware, apparently having 95 processes running on an out-of-the-box machine is normal... )
    Laptop: XPS l702x | i7-2720QM | Nvidia 555m + Intel HD 3000 (Optimus) | 8GB 1333MHz (Corsair) | 1080p AG (no-3D) | Intel 6230 WiFi | Crucial M4 256GB SSD | Seagate 500GB 7200RPM | Backlit KB | 9-cell Battery | Blu-Ray Reader/DVD+CD Burner

Desktop: Q9550 @3.4GHz | GA-X48-DS5 | 8GB DDR2 1066 (Crucial) | Gigabyte 560TI @ 900/1800/4000 | 2x 22" 1680x1050 | Vertex 2 240GB SSD | 2x WD Black 1TB (RAID 1) | Antec 300 Case | Antec TP3-650W PSU
    Still an awesome system!

Notebook Enthusiast

Well, I just put back both 500gb hd and since I have a server running Windows Home server, before I formatted the hd the first day, I created a backup image. My dell xps can't find the server ( i think is lan card drivers) so i put one of the 500 hd in my hp and re-image with the image I created the first the when I got the new dell laptop. I put the 500gb hd back to the dell and now I'm running windows home premium with all the bloatware that came with the dell laptop. I think I'm going to shrink the 500gb hd create an image and the put that image on the sandisk sdd.

I'm not very confident that is going to fix the problem, with the ssd it took 5 minutes to boot up windows 7 pro, way too slow. It could be a bad sdd.

Thanks for the response guy, appreciate it.

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_A_1992 View Post
    I doubt dell will do anything since the problem seems with the ssd. OP Have you simply tried reinstalling windows on the ssd with JUST that drive in the machine, make sure to take the 500gb drive out before you do this and see if it works if not tell me the problems exactly how they are. Dont try to install any drivers, just do this and then see. It could be the firmware on the ssd needs updating which can cause freezes etc.
    I've been searching around for a new firmware but it seems there is not such of thing.

Notebook Enthusiast

I just tried to shrink the C drive to something close to 115gb but Windows won't let me shrink it to less than 245gb, if a create an image of the size it won't fit on the sandisk 120gb ssd

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast