Quantcast L502X - eSata port - port multiplier works?

+ Reply to Thread
    Notebook Enthusiast

Default L502X - eSata port - port multiplier works?

hi folks, anyone know if the esata port on the l502x supports "port mulitipler"? i would like to attach a 2-drive port dock like this:

Amazon.com: Thermaltake BlacX Duet eSATA USB Dual Hard Drives Docking Station ST0014U: Electronics

... but it says your esata port must support "port multiplier". anyone know what brand/chipset the usb/esata port is?

cheers

gary.

Notebook Deity

Default Re: L502X - eSata port - port multiplier works?

dont know about connecting two devices at a time to that port since I didnt tested it.

however I can tell, since I replaced the optical drive with a second hdd caddy, some rare times, I connect the stock optical drive using a cable to the eSata/usb combo port.

it works fine, can even boot media at the bios, it also power the optical drive thing without external power.

in your case , when conecting two or more drives to the esata port may require external power suply to power the drives.
    Last edited by capitankasar; 15th January 2012 at 09:33 PM.
    L502X,overclocked and undervolted GT525m, also the whole system is OCed, minidisplay to vga adapter, 2 HDD caddy,
    replaced thermal paste, removed dust filter to improve airflow, internal usb mod and modded BIOS & ME firmware, BIOS socket installed too.
    [MOD] Custom voltage modded L502X bioses + Unlocked menus + ME update + Overclocking
    [GUIDE] Setting up the L502X GPS
    [GUIDE] L502X Internal USB mod

Notebook Consultant

I think he means whether it can function as both an e-sata and usb port at the same time (i.e act as two separate ports) as opposed to just being a single port that can accept either esata or usb cables.

edit: ok so after doing some reading, port multiplier is just a feature that allows devices physically connected to a single sata controller to see it as more than one.

according to this site, there is no way to really tell unless you ask dell or test it yourself (or if someone else has already tested it and confirmed whether it has port multiplier or not).

Notebook Geek

Tried that dock on my L501X and it didn't work. It did detect one of the hard drives but not both.
    Sony VAIO Z1 Prototype "Alto" | Core i5 520M | 8GB DDR3 | nVidia GT 330m | Samsung 64x2 SSD RAID 0 | Windows 7 Ultimate | 1080p LED | Prem. Carbon Fiber

Dell XPS L501x "Kamina" | Core i5 560M | 4GB DDR3 | nVidia GT 420 "OC" 750/960/1500 | Western Digital Scorpio Blue 500GB | Windows 7 Ultimate | 1080p B+RGLED

Brotips #69 : Try something new today. If you need an idea, refer to the number on this tip.

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by ClearIzzy View Post
    Tried that dock on my L501X and it didn't work. It did detect one of the hard drives but not both.
    Did you have the drivers installed? You need the intel rapid storage technology I think...

Notebook Enthusiast

ok so looks like port multiplier is not active on the l502x.

anybody attached a sata drive to one of the usb3 ports with an appropriate adapter? how did it perform? these kinds of adapters are around 20 over here.

Sorry to tell that mate, but you can only see both hard drives when you are using the USB cable.

Using the eSata, you can only see ONE of them.
    I used to have a ASUS G53, which was one of the best laptops on the market 2 years ago.

I now have a Dell XPS 702X... which should support most of the "top of the line" technologies from 2 years ago". =/

I will contact DELL support tomorrow to check if there is any driver that could possibly unlock this function on the laptop`s motherboard.

I hardly believe I will have success, but I will try anyway.

I let you know about the answer.