Quantcast Windows Product Key: Belarc Advisor and sticker says another

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Notebook Deity

Default Windows Product Key: Belarc Advisor and sticker says another

XPS 15 with Windows 7 Home Premium (x64)

Ran Belarc Advisor, which can discover the Windows Product Key. However, the product key reported by Belarc Advisor is different from the product key found on the Certificate of Authenticity sticker on the laptop bottom.

What does this mis-match mean? Which one is correct, in case I ever need to clean install Windows?

Sir Pumpkin Longshanks

Default Re: Windows Product Key: Belarc Advisor and sticker says another

It`s normal Belarc Advisor is just showing the pre-activated key which will be the same on all XPS15 notebooks , It because all hdd`s are copied from a master so they have the same key.

The one on the bottom is your actual licence key, if you ever need to do a clean install.
    DON`T BLAME ME IF YOUR NOTEBOOK BLOWS UP WHILE FOLLOWING MY ADVICE, IT`S PURELY VOLUNTARY

HP Envy Rove 20-k000ea 20 inch Mobile AIO desktop PC - Plextor M5 Pro Extreme 512GB SSD

Asus T100TA 10.1" Tablet/Notebook

Notebook Guru

I am guessing, when they manufacture laptops, they won't install or configure Windows individually for each laptop, they just copy the same things to hard drives of the whole batch of laptops. In this case, they may have used a different way to activate them.

The key on the sticker under the laptop should be used if you reinstall Windows by yourself.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Notebook Deity

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks guys!

Sir Pumpkin Longshanks

If you ever want to do a clean install , you can use the pre-activated key , just use a program like ABR to backup the key, then install windows and use ABR to re-install the key, no activation required, and the key on the bottom of you laptop will not be touched if you ever want to sell it.

Use the beta version for Windows 7

ABR (Activation Backup and Restore) | directedge.us
    DON`T BLAME ME IF YOUR NOTEBOOK BLOWS UP WHILE FOLLOWING MY ADVICE, IT`S PURELY VOLUNTARY

HP Envy Rove 20-k000ea 20 inch Mobile AIO desktop PC - Plextor M5 Pro Extreme 512GB SSD

Notebook Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Tinderbox (UK) View Post
    If you ever want to do a clean install , you can use the pre-activated key , just use a program like ABR to backup the key, then install windows and use ABR to re-install the key, no activation required, and the key on the bottom of you laptop will not be touched if you ever want to sell it.

Use the beta version for Windows 7

ABR (Activation Backup and Restore) | directedge.us
    Hi:

Would I need to use that ABR software? Couldn't I just type in the the pre-activated key during the install process when Windows asks for a key? I know the pre-activated key, since Belarc Advisor shows it

Sacred Blame

Quote Originally Posted by toronto View Post
    Hi:

Would I need to use that ABR software? Couldn't I just type in the the pre-activated key during the install process when Windows asks for a key? I know the pre-activated key, since Belarc Advisor shows it
    There is more to it than the key itself, there are three components to authenticate an OEM install of 7 if i recall correctly. There is a certificate, the key and something else i forgot. Note that i haven't looked into that info in a while so i could be wrong, but i doubt just inputing the OEM's master key will work.

Using the key on the bottom of your notebook will require you to call MS to have it activated.
    Current: Precision M6700¦3720qm¦2x240GB SSD + 256GB mSATA¦32GB DDR3 1600MHz¦Firepro M6000
    Previous: Asus G73Jh-A2¦920xm¦160GB G3 + 7K750¦Chastity vBios¦ICD7 + 0.5mm pads¦Intel 6300
    Secondary: Elitebook 2760p¦2410m¦250GB SSD¦8 GB DDR3¦HD 3000

Sir Pumpkin Longshanks

I just use ABR, never tried the pre-activated key manually.

John.

Sacred Blame

Quote Originally Posted by Tinderbox (UK) View Post
    I just use ABR, never tried the pre-activated key manually.

John.
    Same here, i know ABR, Advanced Token Manager as well as the key on the sticker work, but that's about it. ABR is ridiculously easy to use, so you might as well take advantage of it. It will less time than writing down the key.
    Current: Precision M6700¦3720qm¦2x240GB SSD + 256GB mSATA¦32GB DDR3 1600MHz¦Firepro M6000
    Previous: Asus G73Jh-A2¦920xm¦160GB G3 + 7K750¦Chastity vBios¦ICD7 + 0.5mm pads¦Intel 6300
    Secondary: Elitebook 2760p¦2410m¦250GB SSD¦8 GB DDR3¦HD 3000

Sir Pumpkin Longshanks

Just make sure you use ABR Beta for Windows 7

John.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast