Quantcast Dell XPS 17 (L702x) Thread - Page 671

Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Dell XPS 17 (L702x) Thread

Notebook Enthusiast

Default Re: Dell XPS 17 (L702x) Thread

A question for those with SSD drives. I will be soon be getting a Crucial M4 256gb drive to replace my current drive and wanted to know how SSD drives cope with Hibernation.

Currently I like to be able to press the power button, which in turn hibernates my machine and keeps all documents etc etc as they are ready for when I return.

I have read that hibernation/sleep mode is not recommended but instead to shut down/start up the machine instead. The booting times some say are as fast, if not faster that resuming from hibernation. This is fine, but for someone that likes to leave their machine in a state of documents/programs open this doesn’t help me...

Any feedback would be gratefully received!!

Notebook Deity

Well i disabled hibernation to save some space but i use sleep mode all the time and it works perfectly. A lot quicker booting from sleep than shutting down and restarting.

Desktop:
    Corsair Obsidian 250D | Corsair AX 850 | ROG Maximus VI Impact | Intel Core I5 4670K @ 4.2Ghz | Corsair H100i | EVGA GTX 680 4GB | 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1600mhz |128GB Crucial M4 SSD (OS) | WD 1TB Caviar Black 7200rpm |

Notebook Deity

Quote Originally Posted by pkalein View Post
    In just 2 weeks mine is 2% anyway to slow down wear??
    Theres much discussion about slowing the wear level down. Some say you cant others say you can, i personnaly keep my battery between 20-30% and turn off charging which is supposed to help and be better than leaving it at 100% all the time.

And i havent tried the sim card slot but i guess you must need a 3g wifi card of some sort installed.

Desktop:
    Corsair Obsidian 250D | Corsair AX 850 | ROG Maximus VI Impact | Intel Core I5 4670K @ 4.2Ghz | Corsair H100i | EVGA GTX 680 4GB | 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1600mhz |128GB Crucial M4 SSD (OS) | WD 1TB Caviar Black 7200rpm |

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_A_1992 View Post
    Theres much discussion about slowing the wear level down. Some say you cant others say you can, i personnaly keep my battery between 20-30% and turn off charging which is supposed to help and be better than leaving it at 100% all the time.

And i havent tried the sim card slot but i guess you must need a 3g wifi card of some sort installed.
    oh thanks
    and leave SIMCARD I don't need that

Hi screff,
    Could you please reupload your .mst file for quickset?
    I have finally find your solution for quickset installation, but the file is no longer there...
    Thanks a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by screff View Post
    Here is what I did to fix all of the problems that I encountered while doing a clean Windows 7 x64 installation. This won't install all of the drivers, but it will take care of the ones that don't work on Dell's support site.

Keep in mind that this may very well void your warranty. These steps do work just great for me, but haven't been tested beyond the week I have had my laptop. If it breaks your laptop don't say I didn't warn you.

1. Install the Intel HD 3000 driver from the intel.com website or from Windows Update. The latest version works fine. It is available here.
    2. Download the latest NVIDIA Mobile driver from their site. You should be grabbing the GeForce 550 or 555 depending on which one you have in your system.
    3. Next you will need to modify the NVIDIA driver to work with your system. To do this run the NVIDIA setup file that you downloaded. This will extract the installer program to C:\NVIDIA. Drill down through the subdirectories in this folder until you find the Display.Driver folder. Edit the nvam.inf file using a text editor.
    4. You will need to find the hardware ID of your NVIDIA card in device manager. Open device manager, find the Standard VGA Adapter (under Display adapters). Right click on it and go to Properties. Click on the Details tab. Under Property, change it to Hardware Ids. You should now see several lines with hardware IDs. In the nvam.inf file, find the section called "
    [NVIDIA_SetA_Devices.NTamd64.6.1]". You should see a bunch of lines starting with %NVIDIA_DEV.blahblah. Go to the bottom of these and insert a new line. Using the information from device manager, make a line like this using your hardware ids.
    Code:
    %NVIDIA_DEV.1246.01% = Section012, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1246&SUBSYS_05711028
    The 1246 is next to DEV_ in the hardware ids window. You will also need to put in the stuff after Section012 from the hardware ids window. This may vary from system to system.

You will now want to go under the [Strings] section in the .inf file. Add a line like this, using your hardware ids information.
    Code:
    NVIDIA_DEV.1246.01 = "NVIDIA Geforce GT 550M"
    Make sure you replace 1246 with your hardware id number.
    Save the inf file and run the installer. It should work this time successfully.
    5. Go to the Realtek website to download your sound driver. Mine actually worked when I ran Windows Update, but it stopped working after the next reboot. Their site is here.
    6. To get the Dell Support website and download the latest Quickset application here. By default, it will not work because of some hardware revision changes. To get around this limitation I created a custom .mst file that disables the hardware checks, allowing us to install the application. Download my .mst file here. Run the Dell installer and let it fail.
    7. Go into the C:\dell\drivers\R295128 and copy/paste the .mst file you downloaded.
    8. Go to Start, and type in cmd in the search box. When cmd.exe shows up in the search results, right click on it and choose Run as Administrator.
    9. In the Command Prompt window type these commands.
    Code:
    c:
    cd\Dell\drivers\R295128
    msiexec /i quickset64.msi TRANSFORMS=dset.mst
    10. You should now see the Quickset installer program come up. It will let you run it all the way through. If you have 32 bit Windows 7 you will need to change quickset64.msi above to quickset32.msi.
    11. Reboot and you should now see the Quickset popups when you adjust volume, etc.

Enjoy! If you get stuck I'll try and help when I can.
    Hi screff,
    Could you please reupload your .mst file for quickset?
    I have finally find your solution for quickset installation, but the file is no longer there...
    Thanks a lot.

Notebook Enthusiast

I'm looking to OC my GT555m...

What are some settings I should try with the MSI Afterburner v2.10? Thanks

edit: From reading the oc'ing thread, 760/1050 seems like a good setting.

Notebook Enthusiast

The fan would go on and off while browsing the internet... is this normal?

I have my CPU max utilization set to 99%.

Notebook Deity

Quote Originally Posted by booju View Post
    I'm looking to OC my GT555m...

What are some settings I should try with the MSI Afterburner v2.10? Thanks

edit: From reading the oc'ing thread, 760/1050 seems like a good setting.
    I have mine set to 760/1520/1050 and its very stable with up to 10fps increase in games.

Quote Originally Posted by booju View Post
    The fan would go on and off while browsing the internet... is this normal?

I have my CPU max utilization set to 99%.
    Having msi afterburner, hwmonitor or any other monitoring programs can cause the fan to constantly go on and off so check and shut them down if you have.

Desktop:

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_A_1992 View Post
    I have mine set to 760/1520/1050 and its very stable with up to 10fps increase in games.

Having msi afterburner, hwmonitor or any other monitoring programs can cause the fan to constantly go on and off so check and shut them down if you have.
    Ahhhh... thanks!

Yeah I had HWmonitor up and it seems to be the problem...

Btw are you using Afterburner v2.1 or v2.2 beta?

edit: v2.2 beta 14 is out and is available for download at 3dguru