Quantcast The Dell XPS 17 3D with Sandy Bridge Has Arrived! Recommended Specs? - Page 17

Closed Thread
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718 LastLast
    Notebook Evangelist

Default Re: The Dell XPS 17 3D with Sandy Bridge Has Arrived! Recommended Specs?

Quote Originally Posted by andyguk View Post
    Hmmmm I've just been having a look at this thread in detail, mainly regarding the Optimus discussion. I ordered the 3D version of the L720X and it's due at the end of March. I'm now very interested in the switchable graphics option.

I just had a look at NVidia Optimus section in the L720X manual and this is what it says,

"NVIDIA Optimus Technology (Optional) Your XPS laptop is equipped with NVIDIA’s Optimus technology. The Optimus technology enhances the performance of your computer, while minimizing the impact on battery life. It enables you to combine the graphic processing capability of the integrated Intel graphic processing unit (GPU) with the discrete NVIDIA GPU while running graphic‑intensive applications such as 3D games."

this seems to claim the 3D version utilises Optimus, however after reading this thread, you guys have come up with some pretty convincing evidence that the 3D version will not utilise Optimus.

I was going to chat with a Dell rep but they don't seem to know much :-/
    That quote referencing 3D is not talking about a 3D display, just 3D style game rendering. The fact that it says Optimus is "(Optional)" is yet another pointer to the fact that the 3D display capable L702x will not have Optimus.

Notebook Consultant

Default Re: The Dell XPS 17 3D with Sandy Bridge Has Arrived! Recommended Specs?

any one have an "insider" update on the production of these units? my current delivery date says the 25th of this month.
    --
    dell alienware m14x: 2.4 core i5-2430, nvidia gt 555m, 8gb ram, 120gb ssd
    dell alienware m17x: 2.4 core i7-2760, ati 6990m, 16gb ram, 160gb ssd + 750gb hdd

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Jay View Post
    - I don't need 3D. I don't have any content nor do I think it's a useful feature on a screen smaller than 90 degrees of horizontal angle of view (i.e. even a regular movie theater is too small - need an IMAX theater).
    - Optimus is nice, but the total energy saved over the life of the device amounts to perhaps $10-$20 or so depending on usage and other things. So it's a battery life issue mostly, and for me this machine will be plugged in most of the time so battery life isn't a big deal.... I don't care much about battery life on this particular machine.
    - There's an advantage to being on the discrete GPU all the time - the CPU will have its video section shut down all the time, which means it'll consume less power and thus run cooler. Cooler running on Sandy Bridge means higher clock speeds for longer times in Turbo mode. So that might mean a bit more performance. Probably a small amount, but not zero.
    - WiDi is also nice but I don't have any compatible devices currently and I don't know when I might if ever. So, I'll treat that one as an "I'll cross that bridge when I come to it" issue.

So, despite the fact that this situation really annoys me, I might go for the 3D version anyway, and who knows, maybe I'll mess with the 3D stuff just for kicks.
    This makes a lot of sense to me (re Optimus real savings, GPU/CPU cooling and performance; 4 RAM slots v. 2 in the 900p). I have followed the L701x thread and now this one. i plan to order one: timing and configuration are questions.

i will use the unit for work: document reading/drafting (lots of reading...), research (multiple simultaneous sites) MS Office stuff, maybe some graphic apps.

as importantly, will use it for play: photo and (mostly) digital editing, and music recording and editing/mixing (native/live recording, mix tracks, edit with effects, etc) none of it too sophisticated.

so, if i understand you, there are practical advantages to 3D that outweigh lack of Optimus/WiDi for my use, too. Correct?

contemplating i7 quad; HD: seems that two 500Gb @7200 units is the best deal. from what i read it will be easy to swap in SSDs when prices come down. someone also mentioned storing content on a removable SATA HD. looks like the place to economize is RAM- easy and cheap upgrade. 4Gb would be sufficient?

on the downside, one advantage of 900p screen (i think) is that the 900p offers better-quality NVIDIA graphics cards (555 and 455 available) and drivers: is this correct? and, in the end, for my uses, does it make a difference?

last is timing. there will always be something better 'soon'. is the consensus that, in light of my contemplated uses, no advantage to waiting for non-3D, Optimus-enabling? my current machine is hanging on....more or less....

Thanks for any remarks/guidance.

Notebook Enthusiast

Hey guys, if im gonna order new XPS with backlit keyboard, can i then turn the keyboard light off? Like when watching a movie or something..

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Rebkos View Post
    Hey guys, if im gonna order new XPS with backlit keyboard, can i then turn the keyboard light off? Like when watching a movie or something..
    I believe you can.

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by Rebkos View Post
    It will go off after a minute unless you set it otherwise, or you can hit the backlit keyboard key until it goes off, then it will stay off.
    Matt Arnold

Inspiron 17R SE 7720
    3rd Gen Intel Core i7-3630QM (Turbo Boost to 3.4 GHz/6MB cache)
    16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM
    17.3" 1080p - Nvidia GeForce GT 650M 2GB GDDR5 VRAM
    128GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD + 1TB 5400 RPM SATA Hard Drive
    8X Tray Load CD/DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive)
    Waves MaxxAudio 4 + Skullcandy Speakers
    Intel Centrino Wireless 2230, 2x2 bgn + Bluetooth

Banned

There are 3 Backlit settings
    Off/Low/High
    which can be set by the backlit button, and as mentioned above, will go off after a min of no laptop usage (moving mouse/pressing a key).

Notebook Consultant

Can you set it so that it will stay on?

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by pcgeek View Post
    Can you set it so that it will stay on?
    Yes, through Windows Mobility Center.
    Matt Arnold

Inspiron 17R SE 7720
    3rd Gen Intel Core i7-3630QM (Turbo Boost to 3.4 GHz/6MB cache)
    16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM
    17.3" 1080p - Nvidia GeForce GT 650M 2GB GDDR5 VRAM
    128GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD + 1TB 5400 RPM SATA Hard Drive
    8X Tray Load CD/DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive)
    Waves MaxxAudio 4 + Skullcandy Speakers
    Intel Centrino Wireless 2230, 2x2 bgn + Bluetooth

I've read a lot about the the not working nvidia Optimus technology in combination with the 1080p 3D screen in this topic. I regret this decision of Dell, and would rather have a 1080p NON-3D screen with Optimus. However, this choice unfortunately is (still) unavailable.

The reason why Optimus is important for me is that I tend to irritate myself very quickly to whining fans in my laptop. Especially because there is little background noise in my house. I am afraid that with the Nvidia Geforce working all the time, the fan is always on even in office-use. (which would be a deal-breaker for me). Is there anyone who has this laptop already? If yes, how is the fan behavior? Is it spinning at an idle desktop? If not, I will definitely order the XPS 17 with 1080p screen, because the specs are really great!