Quantcast Buttons F7, F8, F9 for sound not working

Closed Thread

Default Buttons F7, F8, F9 for sound not working

How can I get these F8 + F9 sound buttons to work properly? I've had this XPS 15 L501x just a few weeks and I already screwed it up. Have tried everything to get them to work and I'm sure it's a simple fix. I just hate to call dell support.

Notebook Consultant

Default Re: Buttons F7, F8, F9 for sound not working

Quote Originally Posted by allroads View Post
    How can I get these F8 + F9 sound buttons to work properly? I've had this XPS 15 L501x just a few weeks and I already screwed it up. Have tried everything to get them to work and I'm sure it's a simple fix. I just hate to call dell support.
    have you checked if perhaps the function keys are performing the multimedia/dispay settings or the actual "f1" etc settings?
    if you press the touch sensitive gears button or open windows mobility center some options will come up and you can chose the default functions these keys perform, or you can even change it in the bios.

perhaps you've tried this already but its the only thing i can think of >.<
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wmc.PNG  
    "Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall"

XPS 17 - i7 740QM - 4Gb RAM - 500Gb HDD - 3Gb Nvidia GT 445M - BD Combo - Win7 x64

Default Re: Buttons F7, F8, F9 for sound not working

I had that problem with my xps 17 and found changing the settings in the bios to Function Key First rather than Multimedia key first worked (or something along those lines)

Dell XPS 17 L701x Thread

on the first page of this thread there is a picture of the BIOS for the xps 17 which shows what i was talking about.

hope this is useful and works.
    Last edited by MiddletoM; 7th January 2011 at 09:19 AM. Reason: possibly useful link added