Quantcast Dell XPS 15 Factory Restore..?

Closed Thread

Default Dell XPS 15 Factory Restore..?

Hi guys,

For dell factory restore, I keep getting a popup asking me to create a CD using Dell Datasafe or save the image on a usb.. I thought you could press F8 repeatedly to access that 15gb image.. why do I need that dvd then?

Also when I did try to the F8, I only had a repair feature, there was no restore to factory..?

Thanks.

Notebook Geek

Default Re: Dell XPS 15 Factory Restore..?

You need to create restore DVDs because your hard drive may one day die or the stored image get corrupted.

Restoring the factory image is one of the reapir options. If you proceed to the next reapir screen, you'd see it.

Quote Originally Posted by 240sxer View Post
    Hi guys,

For dell factory restore, I keep getting a popup asking me to create a CD using Dell Datasafe or save the image on a usb.. I thought you could press F8 repeatedly to access that 15gb image.. why do I need that dvd then?

Also when I did try to the F8, I only had a repair feature, there was no restore to factory..?

Thanks.

I see it now, thanks..

So after I create this image on a dvde, can I then delete/remove the dell datasafe program? Would that affect the image partition? I see no use of that program once the image is created seeing its not the pro version that actually backs up your data..

anyone?....

Notebook Geek

I had uninstalled DataSafe. Then tried to restore my notebook to the factory image. The computer couldn't find the image. When I did a system restore to get DataSafe back, I was able to restore my notebook without any proble,. So, from my experience, it seems, factory image restoration requires the presence of DataSafe.

Restore DVDs do not require the presence of DataSafe because the DVDs are bootable and the image is stored on them, not on the hard disk.

Quote Originally Posted by 240sxer View Post
    anyone?....

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by kajouma View Post
    I had uninstalled DataSafe. Then tried to restore my notebook to the factory image. The computer couldn't find the image. When I did a system restore to get DataSafe back, I was able to restore my notebook without any proble,. So, from my experience, it seems, factory image restoration requires the presence of DataSafe.

Restore DVDs do not require the presence of DataSafe because the DVDs are bootable and the image is stored on them, not on the hard disk.
    Weird because when I made the DVDs, it stated I should only use them if the recovery data on the HDD is corrupted or lost. So that to me says you can boot from the DVDs and restore. Guess I could boot it when I get home and see what happens.
    Matt Arnold

Inspiron 17R SE 7720
    3rd Gen Intel Core i7-3630QM (Turbo Boost to 3.4 GHz/6MB cache)
    16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM
    17.3" 1080p - Nvidia GeForce GT 650M 2GB GDDR5 VRAM
    128GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD + 1TB 5400 RPM SATA Hard Drive
    8X Tray Load CD/DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive)
    Waves MaxxAudio 4 + Skullcandy Speakers
    Intel Centrino Wireless 2230, 2x2 bgn + Bluetooth

Notebook Geek

You are 100% right! This is exactly what I tried to commuicate in the quoted post; maybe, due to my poor (non-native) English, I failed to express it lucidly.

Quote Originally Posted by compwiz0620 View Post
    Weird because when I made the DVDs, it stated I should only use them if the recovery data on the HDD is corrupted or lost. So that to me says you can boot from the DVDs and restore. Guess I could boot it when I get home and see what happens.

Notebook Consultant

i have a question. I got hit by a virus that completely denied all access to the HDD. I could not use the DVDs i made or could i reinstall a new OS. So my friend completely wiped the whole drive and put on a windows for me. I want to restore my image on the DVD but it keeps saying I need 465GB or space. I have never seen my HDD with that much space. It has always been 451GB. Why is it asking for more space? I made it when i first got the laptop so there was barely any data and they were able to sit on 2 DVDs. So why is it asking for 465?

Notebook Enthusiast

Can anyone please help? I am trying to do a factory restore. I created the disc set in DataSafe but they do not appear to be bootable. I receive an error when I try to boot from them. I receive the same error when I try to restore to factory image using DataSafe as well.

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. Below is the error. Any ideas?

I also get this same error when attempting to restore using these directions - Restoring Your Dell Computer to Original Factory Installation with Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0 - KB Article - 353562 | Dell

Info: The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible.