Quantcast XPS 1645 Drive Image

Closed Thread
    Notebook Guru

Default XPS 1645 Drive Image

I have spent two plus days searching thread after thread and I am not getting anywhere! If someone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. I just got my 1645 yesterday and what I want to do is to remove the hard drive and put it into my desktop and create an image. I will be formatting the drive removing all three partitions and install another OS. Later on down the road I want to be able to reimage my drive with the original backup. I do not want to clone the drive as I will be using it... I have tried Drive Image and it successfully makes a backup image and when I use it to image another drive the 'OS' & 'Recovery' partitions are fine, and the computer even boots into Windows. But when I use F8 to access the repair console I get a '0xc000000e' error. All of the information I find is somewhat outdated and refers to the period when Dell used Mediadirect. If anyone has any insight into my problem it would be greatly appreciated.

Notebook Consultant

Default Re: XPS 1645 Drive Image

I did something similar a couple weeks ago with my new 1647. In Dell DataSafe, there is an option to create recovery discs. What this basically does is put the the factory backup images found on the RECOVERY partition onto a DVD, Blu-ray, or USB memory stick and is bootable. You are then able to restore the entire HD to the factory state with this disc or USB stick. When the system is rebooted for the first time after restoring it, it appears just like it did when you first received it from the factory...it loads the setup screen that you seen when you first turned it on.

I don't know if this will still work for you since it sounds like you've already attempted restoring the HD through other means. If Dell DataSafe is still able to access the hidden RECOVERY partition, I think it should still work. There is no need for a second system to create the image with.
    Studio XPS 1647
    Intel Core i5 540M 4GB DDR3 RAM 128GB SSD 16" RGBLED LCD (1920x1080) ATI Mobility RADEON HD 4670 Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200 Blu-ray Combo Drive Bluetooth

Notebook Geek

I'm interested in making a backup of my recovery partition, as I quite like the way Dell configured it, can you walk me through it?

-EDIT- Nevermind, I got it.
    Last edited by Heiji1412; 17th April 2010 at 08:26 AM.

Notebook Guru

Quote Originally Posted by codester View Post
    I did something similar a couple weeks ago with my new 1647. In Dell DataSafe, there is an option to create recovery discs. What this basically does is put the the factory backup images found on the RECOVERY partition onto a DVD, Blu-ray, or USB memory stick and is bootable. You are then able to restore the entire HD to the factory state with this disc or USB stick. When the system is rebooted for the first time after restoring it, it appears just like it did when you first received it from the factory...it loads the setup screen that you seen when you first turned it on.

I don't know if this will still work for you since it sounds like you've already attempted restoring the HD through other means. If Dell DataSafe is still able to access the hidden RECOVERY partition, I think it should still work. There is no need for a second system to create the image with.
    No, no I haven't done anything yet... kinda just waiting. I just happened to scan the forums tonight and noticed a reply, ok, what is dell datasafe, and where do I find it?
    Last edited by blemert; 17th April 2010 at 10:56 PM.

Anathema

Quote Originally Posted by blemert View Post
    No, no I haven't done anything yet... kinda just waiting. I just happened to scan the forums tonight and noticed a reply, ok, what is dell datasafe, and where do I find it?
    Here is some information for you:

Dell Datasafe Online Backup

FAQ's

You can get a 2gb trial thru here..but with some purchases it comes free

What is Dell DataSafe Online Backup?

Dell DataSafe Online is an online backup service that encrypts and backs up your important data (music, photos, email, financial records, and other important documents) offsite to secure data centers using your internet connection and helps protect it from software corruption, accidental deletion of files, hard drive crashes, theft and natural disasters.

Dell DataSafe Online's "one-step" setup and file selection wizard was designed to make using this service easy for any type of user.

When does my Subscription to Dell DataSafe Online start?

If you received this service with your purchase of a new XPS™, Inspiron™ or Vostro™ system, the service will come already-installed. You must activate your Dell DataSafe account as soon as your computer is delivered to gain its benefits, as your 1-year Subscription will start to run from the date we ship the computer to you. To activate your 30 day trial, go to run/programs/find the DataSafe Online program and follow the registration process by clicking on “activate your account”. To activate your DataSafe Online account, click on the desktop icon and follow the registration process by clicking on “Activate Your Account”.

If you are purchasing DataSafe to download onto your current computer, then your 1-year Subscription will begin as soon as your order is accepted by us. To register your account and download Dell DataSafe Online, check for the Dell “welcome email” and follow activation steps. A Dell order number is required to complete the registration.

Cin...

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by blemert View Post
    Sorry, I should have been more clear. The program is actually called Dell DataSafe Local Backup. (It is not the online version that Cin' is talking about.) You should be able to find it somewhere in the 'All Programs' list on the Start menu if it is installed. I don't have DataSafe installed on my system anymore so I cannot give the exact steps, but I think it is pretty straightforward once you open the application.
    Studio XPS 1647
    Intel Core i5 540M 4GB DDR3 RAM 128GB SSD 16" RGBLED LCD (1920x1080) ATI Mobility RADEON HD 4670 Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200 Blu-ray Combo Drive Bluetooth