Quantcast Studio XPS 1640 Windows 7 Upgrade questions

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Notebook Consultant

Default Studio XPS 1640 Windows 7 Upgrade questions

For those of you that have a 1640 and have upgraded from Vista to 7, how long did the install take you? And my second question is...did you run into any complications with the upgrade process that I should be aware of before I start it on my wife's laptop?

Default Re: Studio XPS 1640 Windows 7 Upgrade questions

hello largefarva

i jsut did it yesterday....well it all depends...will u do a clean install or an upgrade??

upgrade was pretty quick and everything kept working fine.... had some intel driver that i couldn't remove and wanted to remove the restore function on the other boot drive... so i decided to do a clean install..

i was stupid and formatted even the OEM section and now i cannot have access to the DELL DOWNLOADS software section...

so make sure u download the fastaccess software and any other software u need before running the upgrade...

as for the rest...everything seems to work ok....

had one problem with google at first which i have now solved

and a problem with a kensington mouse..

Quote Originally Posted by largefarva View Post
    For those of you that have a 1640 and have upgraded from Vista to 7, how long did the install take you? And my second question is...did you run into any complications with the upgrade process that I should be aware of before I start it on my wife's laptop?
    see above

Notebook Guru

Quote Originally Posted by logitek256 View Post
    hello largefarva

i jsut did it yesterday....well it all depends...will u do a clean install or an upgrade??

upgrade was pretty quick and everything kept working fine.... had some intel driver that i couldn't remove and wanted to remove the restore function on the other boot drive... so i decided to do a clean install..

i was stupid and formatted even the OEM section and now i cannot have access to the DELL DOWNLOADS software section...

so make sure u download the fastaccess software and any other software u need before running the upgrade...

as for the rest...everything seems to work ok....

had one problem with google at first which i have now solved

and a problem with a kensington mouse..
    Hmm that's odd, I removed my OEM partition as well on my reformat (given it's a 1645, but the models are identical and shouldn't matter too much) but it didn't affect my ability to go to Dell Downloads? When I went to their site, I just chose my model and it allowed me to log on.

Notebook Evangelist

It will take like 2 hours and so. Probably 3 hours. Not much complications though. Just had to grab a couple of drivers from Dell site (Ricoh Memory Card, Quickset..) besides that, Windows Update took care of it.
    Studio XPS 1640 : Status : [||||||] -Dead Screen

Notebook Consultant

Ok thanks guys. I'll just be doing the upgrade...not a clean install since all we have is the upgrade disk from Dell. So three hours....that's quicker than the rumors of 20+ hours that were out there right before the release of 7. But still....even 3 hours seems like it would be too long. lol I've never had an OS install take that long. lol

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by largefarva View Post
    I did a clean install on mine out of the box and it took maybe 20 minutes or so. It was surprisingly fast. Windows 7 is really good about finding most of the drivers you require. Any that were not found, I actually got from the driver disk that came with the system. Most vista drivers will work with 7.

If you do have problems accessing the my downloads as someone else mentioned, it could be because of the Internet explorer 8. I had to run in compatibility mode to get mine to work properly.
    -Dell Studio XPS 16, P8800, 4GB Ram, 320GB HD, Blu-ray burner, ATI 4670, Bluetooth, wireless N.
    -Dell Inspiron m101x, AMD Athlon II Neo K325, 320G 7200RPM, 4GB,DDR3. (EDD 08/25/2010)

Notebook Guru

Some confirmation needed here, the Dell Windows 7 disk that Dell gives us can't do a clean install? It can only upgrade Vista to 7?
    Dell Studio XPS 1640
    16" 1080p RBGLED | T9600 2.80GHz | 8GB DDR3-8500
    ATI Radeon 4670, 1GB | 180GB SSD | DVD/BD-Combo

HP Pavillion dv6335CA - Retired
    15.4" | T5300 1.73GHz | 2GB DDR2-5300
    Intel 950 Graphics | 160GB 5400RPM

HP Pavillion zv5450CA - Retired
    15.4" | P4 3.2GHz | 1280MB DDR-2700
    ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 | 100GB 4200RPM

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by spud387 View Post
    Some confirmation needed here, the Dell Windows 7 disk that Dell gives us can't do a clean install? It can only upgrade Vista to 7?
    Yes, you can do a clean install with the Dell upgrade Windows 7 disk. It's actually very easy.

If you need help, you can follow these instructions:
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...7-version.html

Notebook Evangelist

It will do a clean install, at the same time keeping your old stuff in a folder in C called Windows.old
    Studio XPS 1640 : Status : [||||||] -Dead Screen

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast