Quantcast XPS 1640 Wireless touch button

Closed Thread
    Notebook Enthusiast

Default XPS 1640 Wireless touch button

Lovely machine this, but a couple of times now, I've accidentally hit the wireless enable/disable touch button above the keyboard. Does any one know please whether there is a way of disabling this from working in Win 7?

Notebook Enthusiast

Default Re: XPS 1640 Wireless touch button

In Win7 right-click the power status icon -> Windows Mobility Center -> Launch Radio control options -> Disable WiFi/Wlan or both, at your choice. Hope this helps.

Notebook Deity

What he wants to do is disable the wireless switch button.I believe you can disable the device in the BIOS / System setup. Hold F2 during start up to get into the BIOS, go to the Advanced tab, and at the buttom of the settings list there is an item called "Wireless" - there's an option there where you can specify which devices it controls, and is sounds like to me you want to set it to "NONE". Once you do this, you'll have to toggle them on/off within Windows instead.
    Last edited by gaah; 24th October 2009 at 08:24 PM.

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by gaah View Post
    What he wants to do is disable the wireless switch button.I believe you can disable the device in the BIOS / System setup. Hold F2 during start up to get into the BIOS, go to the Advanced tab, and at the buttom of the settings list there is an item called "Wireless" - there's an option there where you can specify which devices it controls, and is sounds like to me you want to set it to "NONE". Once you do this, you'll have to toggle them on/off within Windows instead.
    That's it. I hadn't noticed that setting in the bios, but it does indeed disable the touch button. Excellent, thanks gaah!

I've done this, and now when I it the Wireless touch button, the WiFi status still pops up (bottom right) and then it turns of for a few seconds before turnig back on. So it is better because it turns back on, but not perfect because it does go off for a few seconds. Is there any way to totally disable this silly button?

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyR View Post
    I've done this, and now when I it the Wireless touch button, the WiFi status still pops up (bottom right) and then it turns of for a few seconds before turnig back on. So it is better because it turns back on, but not perfect because it does go off for a few seconds. Is there any way to totally disable this silly button?
    Uninstal quickset, but this will stop all those buttons from working, and I think also screen brightness adjust and backlit keyboard control
    Dell Latitude E5420 |i7 2620|8GB RAM|14"WLED 1600*900|Crucial M4 128GB + 500GB 7200rpm|Intel 6300
    Desktop |i7:870|8GB RAM|HD6970|X25-M 80GB + 1TB WDBlack