Quantcast Dell xps m1530 Plugged in, Not Charging

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red face Dell xps m1530 Plugged in, Not Charging

Hi,
    I have a dell xps m1530. Yesterday, suddenly a problem developed. The laptop charges for a few secs and then the battery icon says plugged in, not charging. I have tested the power supply and the adapter pin on the laptop motherboard its working fine. I purchased the laptop 4 months ago. i am using windows vista Ultimate with sp1. What could be the problem? Any solutions for this. I tried googling it but there is no definite solution.
    Thanks,
    Sultan

Notebook Consultant

Default Re: Dell xps m1530 Plugged in, Not Charging

So will the laptop power on without the battery, just on AC power?

Do you have any other batteries to try?
    Tuxedo Black M1530/ WUXGA 1900x1200 screen/ T9300 2.5 ghz/ 4GB Ram/ 250gb 5400 RPM/ Mini-wireless N card/ 8600GT 256mb GPU

Notebook Consultant

have you tried the life button on the battery itself? (push and hold for what 5 sec?)
    XPS m1530-t8300
    4 GB Ram @667 Mhz
    1280 x 800
    320gb 7200 rpm hard drive
    256mb 8600M GT video card
    Intel 4965AGN Wireless-N Mini-card
    LoJack Theft Recovery Service - 1 Year
    2 yr Warranty + 1 year extended
    $969.~

Anathema

This is *sort of* similar to what happened to me, on my 1530~!

The battery wouldn't hold a charge...I called XPS support. They had me check the adapter from the wall outlet > to the brick > to the adapter > to the socket in the lappy. The brick stayed *positive*. Then they had me check the battery itself. Not working...It just would not hold a charge. The adapter was a bit loose inside the socket!! another !!

So, Dell sent the on-site techn. to my house and they replaced my Motherboard, along with bringing me a new brick and adapter.

(I had figured that the internal *socket* was loose and needed some soldering & the technician also agreed) But the easiest way was to just replace the Motherboard.

So, now things are working just fine...And I'm wondering if this could be happening to your 1530???? Not sure, as you stated: that the *adapter pin on the laptop motherboard is working fine*

Just my thoughts, and my own opinion

Cin
    Last edited by Cin'; 21st September 2008 at 03:55 AM.
    I thought I had something to say, but then I remembered where I was..

JSUTAONHTERBIRCKINTEHWLAL

Quote Originally Posted by sultansaadat View Post
    Hi,
    I have a dell xps m1530. Yesterday, suddenly a problem developed. The laptop charges for a few secs and then the battery icon says plugged in, not charging. I have tested the power supply and the adapter pin on the laptop motherboard its working fine. I purchased the laptop 4 months ago. i am using windows vista Ultimate with sp1. What could be the problem? Any solutions for this. I tried googling it but there is no definite solution.
    Thanks,
    Sultan
    Try removing the battery completely, the ac and then reconnect both of them after a while.. say 10 or 15 mins and see if it charges up...

Another thing is drain your battery completely or at least till the critical level... and see if u can plug in n charge then...

Probably there is something wrong with the battery??? I dont know..

You could ask Dell to ship u a replacement battery may be if the above things dont work...
    Last edited by fonduekid; 21st September 2008 at 09:52 AM.
    Dell XPS M1530 | C2D T9500 2.60GHz | 15.4 Widescreen WUXGA (1920x1200) | 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM | 320GB SATA | 256MB NVIDIA GeForce Go 8600M GT | Windows 7 Ultimate

Notebook Deity

lol this happened to me with an HP, i completely cut and restored the adapter, when i took the battery out, suddenly it started working... good thing to know, dells have the power supply power the whole system, and then the battery, the hp was the other way arround .....
    DELL XPS m1530 - 2.6 GHz - 4GB RAM - 320 GB @ 7200 HD - GeForce 8600GT - Intel next-gen N - 9 cell battery - RETIRED
    SXPS 1640 - 2.66 GHz C2D - 4GB RAM - 500 GB @ 7200 HD - ATI 4670 - RETIRED
    Just ordered! SAGER np8150 - i7 2.3~3.4GHz - 8GB RAM - 500 GB w/ 4GB SSD - GeForce GTX 485M

I took the battery out of the laptop. Pushed the button on the battery and 4 lights lit up. What does this mean? Secondly, i ran the laptop on direct AC with the adapter. So this means there is something wrong with my battery and not the pin or the power supply brick. Should i get the battery replaced as my laptop is still under warranty.

I took the battery out of the laptop. Pushed the button on the battery and 4 lights lit up. What does this mean? Secondly, i ran the laptop on direct AC with the adapter. So this means there is something wrong with my battery and not the pin or the power supply brick. Should i get the battery replaced as my laptop is still under warranty.
    the battery lights are for an indication of the battery charge/health..

I think you should ask for a replacement.. Yes its seems the battery is having some problem.

Call Dell and ask for a replacement... and u shud get one..
    Dell XPS M1530 | C2D T9500 2.60GHz | 15.4 Widescreen WUXGA (1920x1200) | 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM | 320GB SATA | 256MB NVIDIA GeForce Go 8600M GT | Windows 7 Ultimate

Anathema

If you believe it's not the pin or power supply..and as it's still under warranty..I would ask for a battery replacement

Cin
    I thought I had something to say, but then I remembered where I was..

To the OP > and you might want to tell tech support that u tried everything possible for checking the issue.. else they might ask you to go through everything all over again... so U could just minimize the time u spend with them on the phone and ask for a replacement straight away, after telling them u checked everything and made sure its the battery.

And just for more info (in case u haven't seen this) >>
    Charge Gauge

By either pressing once or pressing and holding the status button on the battery charge gauge, you can check:

* Battery charge (check by pressing and releasing the status button)

* Battery health (check by pressing and holding the status button)

The battery operating time is largely determined by the number of times it is charged. After hundreds of charge and discharge cycles, batteries lose some charge capacity—or battery health. Therefore, a battery can show a status of charged, but maintain a reduced charge capacity (health).

Check the Battery Charge

To check the battery charge, press and release the status button on the battery charge gauge to illuminate the charge indicator lights. Each light represents approximately 20 percent of the total battery charge. For example, if the battery has 80 percent of its charge remaining, four of the lights are on. If no lights are on, the battery has no charge.

Check the Battery Health

NOTE: You can check battery health in one of two ways: by using the charge gauge on the battery, as described below, and by using the Battery Meter in Dell QuickSet. For information about QuickSet, right-click the QuickSet icon in the notification area, and then click Help.

To check the battery health using the charge gauge, press and hold the status button on the battery charge gauge for at least 3 seconds to illuminate the health indicator lights. Each light represents incremental degradation. If no lights appear, the battery is in good condition, and more than 80 percent of its original charge capacity remains. If five lights appear, less than 60 percent of the charge capacity remains, and you should consider replacing the battery. See Battery for more information about the battery operating time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast