Quantcast m1530 LED - bright spots?

Closed Thread
    Notebook Enthusiast

Default m1530 LED - bright spots?

Hi all - I've had my m1530 for a couple of months now, and have just recently noticed a couple of bright spots that have shown up in the lower left corner. They don't quite look like stuck pixels - they are white and span a cluster of 5-6 pixels, but they look more like hazy luminescence. They are definitely noticeable on a white background, but they don't show up on a black background so they don't match the typical description of a red/blue/green stuck pixel.

I've tried the eraser trick & blasting them using Undeadpixel, but to no avail. Anyone else experience this?

Notebook Guru

Default Re: m1530 LED - bright spots?

Quote Originally Posted by dstedman View Post
    Hi all - I've had my m1530 for a couple of months now, and have just recently noticed a couple of bright spots that have shown up in the lower left corner. They don't quite look like stuck pixels - they are white and span a cluster of 5-6 pixels, but they look more like hazy luminescence. They are definitely noticeable on a white background, but they don't show up on a black background so they don't match the typical description of a red/blue/green stuck pixel.

I've tried the eraser trick & blasting them using Undeadpixel, but to no avail. Anyone else experience this?
    I got a spot recently on my replaced toshiba led 1330 screen
    weird!
    Dell XPS M1330 (Crimson Red):
    Intel Duo Core 2 T7500 2.2 Ghz
    Hynix 2GB DDR2 667 Mhz
    Nvidia 8400 GS 128MB DDR3
    Toshiba White-Led WXGA 13.3" inch Display 1280x800
    Fujitsu HD 160GB SATA 5400 RPM

Notebook Enthusiast

Yeah - they are almost holographic. When you look at them at an angle they change location a bit. Another LED screen with them is a bad sign.

Notebook Enthusiast

This phenomenon is the led bulbs showing through the matrix of the lcd screen. My m1330 (refurb) has about 15 of them and if you look really closely, you can see alot of bulbs through the screen. Dell is sending someone this saturday to replace my screen, hopefully, it will not suffer the same led bulb show through problem.

i think that these show up in the 'burn in' phase of a new led screen and can form later on. I know that leds don't emit much heat, but it seems a 'thinning' of the matrix thereby exposing the led through the screen is taking place.

Notebook Deity

me2, hw random
    Dell XPS 1530 Black
    T9300, WLED, 8600GT, 160GB, 9 Cell, 4GB Ram

Suspended Disbelief!

I have had those for a while(XPS M 1330)..They are on both edges of the screen,left and right. About 7 or 8 groups.. They seem to be increasing in number and area.. Nothing irritating so far, but if they get worse, I will have my screen replaced..(3 year CompleCover ftw.. )
    Latitude E6440/4300m/16GB/Hybrid/9Cell/FPR/HD+
    XPS M1330
    T7300/8400GS/2GB/LED/9Cell/Fingerprint Reader Review

Notebook Deity

I had a couple of bright spots on a CCFL LCD (HP DV2000Z) before. I'm not sure what caused it.
    Toshiba P50T-B Notebook
    Intel Core i7-4710HQ 2.50 Ghz | 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM | Radeon M9 265X 2GB GDDR5 | 15.6" LED backlit IPS LCD 1920x1080 | Crucial M550 1TB SSD | 802.11b/g/n WLAN | Bluetooth module | 4-cell li-ion battery | Windows 8.1 x64

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by jairama View Post
    This phenomenon is the led bulbs showing through the matrix of the lcd screen. My m1330 (refurb) has about 15 of them and if you look really closely, you can see alot of bulbs through the screen. Dell is sending someone this saturday to replace my screen, hopefully, it will not suffer the same led bulb show through problem.

i think that these show up in the 'burn in' phase of a new led screen and can form later on. I know that leds don't emit much heat, but it seems a 'thinning' of the matrix thereby exposing the led through the screen is taking place.
    LCDs 101

These LCD are edge lit (from the bottom only) so you will not "see" the actual LEDs as the LEDs are actually beside the LCD and not behind it. The light is emitted through a light guide and reflected forwards through 4 optical films (diffuser, BEF horizontal, BEF vertical, front diffuser) as well as two polarizers on the LCD panel itself. By the nature of edge lighting you will have a hot spot near the lit edge. Backlit LCDs are ideal for high luminance as they elimante the need for a light guide and will produce more uniform luminance but require thicker packaging.

Also, LCDs do not need to be burned in and LEDs do produce a considerable ammount of heat (close t 70C at room temp). Less heat than CCFL bulbs but still quite a bit, especially with such poor heat sinking because of the plastic ring frames used with most commercial LCDs

Suspended Disbelief!

Makes sense.. All the bright lines on my screen start at the edge, and fade inwards.. And are nearly invisible when viewed head on..
    Latitude E6440/4300m/16GB/Hybrid/9Cell/FPR/HD+
    XPS M1330
    T7300/8400GS/2GB/LED/9Cell/Fingerprint Reader Review

Notebook Enthusiast

Strange I thought I was the unlucky one to get a bad screen from ChiMei, seems they are the only ones Dell sources for the 1440x900 LED backlit LCD's. Mine has a holographic as it seems whitish reflection from behind kind of thing seems it's behind the glass. Don't show up on a black background but takes on the color of the screen if you change it except black. Might be a scratch in the actual polarizer film on the inside of the panel just before the color filters. Going to have mine replaced sometime as soon as I get the new laptop I ordered, can't be without the net.

DELL XPS M1530
    T9300 2.5 Ghz 6MB L2 - 4GB DDR2 RAM
    1440x900 LED LCD 8600MGT
    250 GB Seagate Momentus 7200 RPM
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit. beta

off topic, but my initial review of this OS, it's much more stable than VISTA and actually works.