Quantcast New XPS M1530 overheating - fan problem - Page 2

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: New XPS M1530 overheating - fan problem

I have same issue, GPU 100+, after back from Sleep sometimes.

I guess I need figure out it is a BIOS problem or fan problem.

Gb Re: New XPS M1530 overheating - fan problem

I have had my M1530 for just over a month now, and have encountered the same problem discussed in the forum, in that after a number of the sleep / hibernation cycles, the GPU core has reached 108, and the system shuts down, or reboots.

I have had the Dell technician out, who replaced the fan, and the motherboard, which had a later BIOS than the one on the system: in addition, Dell have just released another BIOS 09 that allegedly fixes, "thermal issues"....It Doesn't!! I sit here with the machine at 100 degrees without a fan blowing , and will have to shut it down once again.

There is clearly a serious problem, and I am obviously not the only one experiencing it. I note from some of the other posts that every suggestion made I have had done, but to no avail.

Where do I go from here?

(I just posted this on another thread, but it could be the same problem you guys are having, so I'm copying it here. Hope that's all right...)

I had this problem and it seems to be related to the Dell wireless card...I noticed that when it hibernated, as soon as it shut all the way down it would restart and say that Vista had shut down incorrectly. Then it would restart and get to the login screen. After a while it would sleep, then hibernate again, then go through the whole restarting process.

The first time I noticed this was one morning when I picked it up and it was blistering hot. I opened it up and found out that the screen was on, running the screensaver.

I searched around this forum and found a thread or two that pointed me to the Dell wireless card, of all things. People said they'd had it repaced with an Intel card and the problem stopped. So I tried shutting off the WiFi switch, and the problem went away. Turned the switch back on, and the problem came back. (I set the computer to sleep after a minute and hibernate after 3 minutes temporarily to test the problem.)

I got in touch with Dell and the first tech wanted to replace the wireless card with an identical Dell card. I didn't like that answer so I got in touch with them again. The second tech just said he'd replace the whole system. I thought this was overkill, I mean, an Intel card which would've cost $7 more would probably fix the problem. But then I thought that since the computer had sat out all night slowly baking to death without me knowing it, more than once, even though the computer seemed to be working fine it would probably be a good idea to get a new one with unfried components, so I didn't argue. (Plus I'd just found out I could use 64-bit Vista on this computer, and was thinking of reinstalling everything anyway.)

The replacement 1530 had the same problem. People with a Dell card might not notice the problem, since it only happens on hibernate, and since your computer's set from the factory to not hibernate for 1080 minutes, so it may be a while before you notice this problem. But setting the computer to sleep after a minute and hibernate after three brought the problem back. Shutting off WiFi again fixed the problem, turning the switch back on brought it back. (I had to completely shut down and restart between each switch change, or it would keep restarting anyway.)

So I got in touch with Dell again, and this time I got someone who seemed to have some sense, and he had me go to Device Manager and go to Network Adapter and click on the properties for the Dell wireless card. There was a checkbox at the top of the Power Management tab that said 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power'. He had me turn that off, and that seemed to fix the problem.

I'm a little worred that this might cause me to drain the battery more quickly, since apparently this means the wireless card'll be on all the time, but it's too soon to tell whether the battery's dying quicker or not.

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by jlovell2105 View Post
    And I'm almost sure you're completely mistaken (this is a good thing). I've built enough pc's recently to where I've seen fans that only power up intermittently. The fix is always to get the bad fan out and put another in. If this were a BIOS problem, a lot more people would be seeing it. Get Dell out there pronto to replace the fan/cooling assembly. If it still happens, follow what Udi says and get the motherboard replaced.
    I dont know if this is a bios prob or a fan prob but i have the exact same problem and did not know until just now what happened. Exactly right, after closing the lid, and opening, it goes into sleep mode, but everything is super hot when i open it again. the screen is blank and comes on when I open it and if it wasnt for the black screen, id think the screen was on the whole time and heating up the keyboard and such. and then the fan never comes on. then I did as above, hit power button off and on, and fan came on and cooled from 85 degrees celciius to 45 degrees.

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by ms009986 View Post
    (I just posted this on another thread, but it could be the same problem you guys are having, so I'm copying it here. Hope that's all right...)

I had this problem and it seems to be related to the Dell wireless card...I noticed that when it hibernated, as soon as it shut all the way down it would restart and say that Vista had shut down incorrectly. Then it would restart and get to the login screen. After a while it would sleep, then hibernate again, then go through the whole restarting process.

The first time I noticed this was one morning when I picked it up and it was blistering hot. I opened it up and found out that the screen was on, running the screensaver.

I searched around this forum and found a thread or two that pointed me to the Dell wireless card, of all things. People said they'd had it repaced with an Intel card and the problem stopped. So I tried shutting off the WiFi switch, and the problem went away. Turned the switch back on, and the problem came back. (I set the computer to sleep after a minute and hibernate after 3 minutes temporarily to test the problem.)

I got in touch with Dell and the first tech wanted to replace the wireless card with an identical Dell card. I didn't like that answer so I got in touch with them again. The second tech just said he'd replace the whole system. I thought this was overkill, I mean, an Intel card which would've cost $7 more would probably fix the problem. But then I thought that since the computer had sat out all night slowly baking to death without me knowing it, more than once, even though the computer seemed to be working fine it would probably be a good idea to get a new one with unfried components, so I didn't argue. (Plus I'd just found out I could use 64-bit Vista on this computer, and was thinking of reinstalling everything anyway.)

The replacement 1530 had the same problem. People with a Dell card might not notice the problem, since it only happens on hibernate, and since your computer's set from the factory to not hibernate for 1080 minutes, so it may be a while before you notice this problem. But setting the computer to sleep after a minute and hibernate after three brought the problem back. Shutting off WiFi again fixed the problem, turning the switch back on brought it back. (I had to completely shut down and restart between each switch change, or it would keep restarting anyway.)

So I got in touch with Dell again, and this time I got someone who seemed to have some sense, and he had me go to Device Manager and go to Network Adapter and click on the properties for the Dell wireless card. There was a checkbox at the top of the Power Management tab that said 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power'. He had me turn that off, and that seemed to fix the problem.

I'm a little worred that this might cause me to drain the battery more quickly, since apparently this means the wireless card'll be on all the time, but it's too soon to tell whether the battery's dying quicker or not.
    thanks for this, i just tried this and we'll see if it works too...

Notebook Consultant

Man I cant beleive I m one of the unlucky ones too! that too after multiple system exchange/refunds!
    This was my new system a month old n i was very happy with it when the stupid fan went dead on me. Is there a freaking software that will help me manually switch on/off the fan n control its speed?
    XPS 1530 T8300|3GB|8600m GT|320GB HDD|WXGA+ (1440x900) LG TFT|Wireless n|BT travel mouse|6 cell| Got a refund after 2 years of multiple repairs!

Ordered: XPS 16 Core i7 820QM|8GB DDR3 1333|256GB SSD|RGBLED FullHD| -- returned

Past 1 year: Alienware M17x R2 Core i7 740QM|4GBDDR3 1333|96GB SSD+1TB|RGB LED FullHD|CossFire ATi 5870

Banned

Yeah i just got the same thing my GPU temp was 106C

I am going to call Dell So they can send someone to check it out, i reversed to the A08 for a while then to the A09 again and its working fine now.

This is the second time in a few days (3approx)

I dont know what it's caused by but i think a defective Fan is the answer.
    Because it was running when it was 106C

Notebook Geek

can the people who have had this problem say whether they have a dell wireless card, or an intel wireless card?

Banned

Yes i have a Dell mini wireless card.

Do this it actually fix the problem (did for me at least)

Go to Device Manager and go to Network Adapter and click on the properties for the Dell wireless card. There is was a checkbox at the top of the Power Management tab that said 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power'. Turn that off, and that seemed to fix the problem.
    Works, try and report back.

Notebook Geek

i dont have a 1530....im thinking of buying one though....now ill get the intel card...i just wanna be sure that the wireless card is indeed teh problem

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast