Quantcast Please help. XPS M1330 won't boot. Getting nothing but rainbow vertical lines.

Closed Thread
    Notebook Enthusiast

Default Please help. XPS M1330 won't boot. Getting nothing but rainbow vertical lines.

My XPS M1330 that I got since late August 2007 won't boot up anymore. It was working fine until a few days ago. It started to turn itself off when I'm trying to load the front page of Yahoo to read the news. And when I tried to turn it back on, I get these rainbow colors vertical lines. Turning it on and off a few times and it would boot normally. But then the same thing would happen again if I tried to read some webpages. Today, turning it on and off will not boot Vista Home Premium. All I get are the vertical rainbow lines. My system has 4GB of RAM and the GS 8400 graphic card.

Is anyone else experiencing similar boot-up problem? Please help. Thanks.

Suspended Disbelief!

Default Re: Please help. XPS M1330 won't boot. Getting nothing but rainbow vertical lines.

Probably a faulty Graphics card.

Notebook Evangelist

Default Re: Please help. XPS M1330 won't boot. Getting nothing but rainbow vertical lines.

Contact Dell. Time for them to make good on the warranty. It could be the GPU. But you can't fix the GPU yourself.

Notebook Deity

Check this thread out. There are many people who have complained about this very issue. I had the same exact problem a couple months back. For me, a motherboard replacement completely fixed the issue. You're best bet is to call dell and that is probably what they will arrange for you.

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by investor27 View Post
    My XPS M1330 that I got since late August 2007 won't boot up anymore. It was working fine until a few days ago. It started to turn itself off when I'm trying to load the front page of Yahoo to read the news. And when I tried to turn it back on, I get these rainbow colors vertical lines. Turning it on and off a few times and it would boot normally. But then the same thing would happen again if I tried to read some webpages. Today, turning it on and off will not boot Vista Home Premium. All I get are the vertical rainbow lines. My system has 4GB of RAM and the GS 8400 graphic card.

Is anyone else experiencing similar boot-up problem? Please help. Thanks.
    As multiple others (and threads) have said - you need a GPU/mobo replacement.

Been there - done that - the new mobo fixed it.

I bet you have a rev 0 mobo??

Notebook Enthusiast

Thanks to all for helping me out so quickly. This is extremely frustrating. I have had nothing but trouble with the XPS M1330. The unit squeaks, won't come back on from stand-by, and now this. Never again will I buy Dell for business or personal.

I'm having the exact same problem!! It started acting up a couple weeks ago, but would start eventually. Last night however, it just refused to boot and just displayed the infamous rainbow stripes. Will be logging a call with Dell tonight! Sounds like a defective batch of motherboards somehow got used!
    System: Dell XPS 1330
    Processor: Core 2 Duo T7300 2.0GHz
    Colour: White
    Screen: Slim & Light LED with VGA Webcam
    Memory: 2GB
    HDD: 120GB SATA
    Video: 128MB NVIDIA GeForce Go 8400M GS
    Options: Bluetooth, Fingerprint Reader

Notebook Guru

Quote Originally Posted by vogue View Post
    I'm having the exact same problem!! It started acting up a couple weeks ago, but would start eventually. Last night however, it just refused to boot and just displayed the infamous rainbow stripes. Will be logging a call with Dell tonight! Sounds like a defective batch of motherboards somehow got used!
    It's not the motherboard. It's a design prob. with the heatpipe that causes the burnout. Although the end result is a burnt GPU on the motherboard.

Have a read here.
    How to: Improve your XPS M1330 Cooling