Quantcast "Work In Progress" What does this mean & how long will it take?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Gb "Work In Progress" What does this mean & how long will it take?

"Work In Progress" What does this mean & how long will it take?

Dell says:
    Work In Progress

• If you personalized your computer, it's being prepared for production.
    • If you ordered an accessory, software or ink, your order is being prepared for packing.

Does this mean they are making it? Or does it mean its getting all the stuff (e.g hard drive) to make it?

BTW, I ordered the Studio 15 with these specs:
    Base
    Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core Processor T4300 (2.1GHz, 800MHz, 1MB cache)
    Memory
    4096MB 800MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x2048]
    Keyboard
    Internal UK/Irish Qwerty Keyboard
    Video Card
    512MB ATI Mobility RADEON HD 4570
    Hard Drive
    320GB (5.400rpm) SATA Hard Drive
    Microsoft Operating System
    Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64bit- English
    Optical Devices
    Fixed Internal DVD+/-RW Slot Load Drive including Software
    Wireless Networking
    Dell Wireless 1397 Mini Card (802.11 b/g)
    Cables
    1 Meter Power Cord (3 Wire) - UK
    Shipping Documents
    English - Documentation Studio 1545
    Gedis Bundle Reference
    N0153502
    Standard Warranty
    1 year of coverage included with your PC
    Enhanced Service Packs
    1 year of coverage included with your PC
    PalmRest
    Silver chainlink palm rest – with Black Chainlink cover only
    Bluetooth
    No Bluetooth Upgrade
    Order Information
    Studio 1555 Order - UK
    Primary Battery
    Primary 6-cell 56 WHr Lithium Ion battery
    Carrying Cases
    No Carrying Case
    Dell System Media Kit
    Studio 1555 Resource DVD (Diagnostic & Drivers)
    Camera
    2.0 Mega pixel Integrated Web Camera
    Colour Choice
    Black chainlink
    Accidental Damage Support
    No Accidental Damage Support
    Online Backup
    DataSafe Online Backup 2GB 1 year
    Theft Protection Solution
    FailSafe® Theft Protection - track and protect lost or stolen laptops - 30 days free trial
    Call Dell Experts
    One free Dell Expert call to help with your PC queries within 60 days of purchase
    Labels
    Wireless Label - Pentium Dual Core
    LCD
    15.6in Widescreen High Definition (1366x768) WLED with TrueLife
    DataSafe (Services Owned)
    Datasafe Local 2.0 Basic
    Microsoft Application Software
    Microsoft® Works 9.0 / English - (Does not include Microsoft® Word)
    Protect your new PC
    No Security/Anti-Virus Protection - English
    Power Supply
    90W AC Adaptor

All for £429, I had a great deal

please reply!

Gb Re: "Work In Progress" What does this mean & how long will it take?

yes, i ordered my dell studio xps on the 23rd of December 09 however i've just checked it today and its still on "work in progress" pls help us, we need your knowledge!!!

Notebook Consultant

Default Re: "Work In Progress" What does this mean & how long will it take?

From what I've read it may take approx 3 weeks, since what you have ordered is assembled somewhere in the word and it may be delayed again. It depends ...
    Ordered 12/29/2009 EDD 01/25/2010
    Dell Studio 1747 | Intel® Core™ i7-720QM Quad Core Processor @ 1.73GHz | 4GB DDR3 at 1333MHz |
    23/01/2010 Start hassling dell.
    01/27/2010 Delivery processing
    01/28/2010 Shipped
    01/29/2010 Delivered @ 14:57

what do you know, the very next day its off the "work in progress" and onto "manufacturing build complete". dell must be spying on me -.- I'm sorry!!!

Notebook Enthusiast

I think it depends on what kind of dell you ordered. My m15x went from work in progress to in production in a couple of hours and then took a few days(including weekend) to go to shipped. It was during the shipped stage that I had problems (displayed shipped early monday morning but didn't actually get picked up by ups until this evening)
    Alienware M15x Base Cosmic Black, Intel i7 720QM(1.60Ghz,6MB),15.6in Wide Full HD (1920 x 1080) WLED, 4096MB (2x2048) 1333MHz DDR3 Dual Channel, : 320GB Serial ATA (7200RPM), 1 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX260M

Notebook Enthusiast

I understand that many have or are still waiting for their orders from Dell and I really wish I had done more research prior to placing my order, but I really wanted a laptop and Dell actually offered me credit. Anyhow after seeing how bad production times have been how long is realistic to wait before worring that my laptop order isn't going to arrive? I ask because My order shows two different status depending on the page I am on and has been like this for 5 days.

My Order Status page shows N/A for the EDD and Work in Progress for the Status
    Order Details page shows 1/21/2010 for the EDD and In Progress for the Status

TIA for any words of advice.

Fubie

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Fubie View Post
    I understand that many have or are still waiting for their orders from Dell and I really wish I had done more research prior to placing my order, but I really wanted a laptop and Dell actually offered me credit. Anyhow after seeing how bad production times have been how long is realistic to wait before worring that my laptop order isn't going to arrive? I ask because My order shows two different status depending on the page I am on and has been like this for 5 days.

My Order Status page shows N/A for the EDD and Work in Progress for the Status
    Order Details page shows 1/21/2010 for the EDD and In Progress for the Status

TIA for any words of advice.

Fubie
    Hey Fubie
    Yeah I wish I had done more research about problems too but hopefully the laptop will be worth it.
    I don't really know what to say but I think it is good that both say work in progress. The edd, in my opinion is such a load of rubbish. Most either come a week or more before or way after first estimate but thats just my opinion.
    I am afraid with dell it is very hard to know what is going on with your order(not what you want to hear I am sure) and dell customer service is not like to be of any help.
    I would just continue to check it regularily but take some comfort that it does say its in progress. Sorry I can't help anymore and I hope it moves to shipped soon
    Alienware M15x Base Cosmic Black, Intel i7 720QM(1.60Ghz,6MB),15.6in Wide Full HD (1920 x 1080) WLED, 4096MB (2x2048) 1333MHz DDR3 Dual Channel, : 320GB Serial ATA (7200RPM), 1 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX260M

Notebook Enthusiast

Thanks for the update Amy189!

After posting here I went to the Dell website and tried configuring a new laptop like the one I ordered and it appears my selection of 6GB of DDR2 800 might be causing a delay (6 days appearently...) but as most have discovered with Dell it could be any reason or none at all causing the delay.
    Fubie

Dell Studio 1555 Mid-Night Blue | Core2Duo P8700 @ 2.53GHz | 6GB DDR2 800 | 1080 LED Display

Notebook Enthusiast

Yeah you never quite know with dell. Hopefully you got your order in before their stock became low
    But I'd give them a few more days of in production before you get in contact with them because their customer service is likely to just frustrate you more. Hopefully you won't need to contact them anyway because it will be completed soon

Notebook Enthusiast

Fubie - hope you've had some progress with your order. I also hope you get ups as your shipper... my dell left the netherlands at 5pm on the 6th and will be delivered tomorrow (down from an estimated date of the 12th). Now if only all companies (**cough cough** dell **cough cough**) could be this effective

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast