Quantcast AccelerometerP11 info?

Closed Thread
    Notebook Consultant

Default AccelerometerP11 info?

Hello,

this question got ignored in the E6420 owners threat, so I post it extra.

Some "AccelerometerP11" software is installed on my laptop, and I wonder if I should or could deinstall it, since I am not even sure if this is only relates to a free fall sensor, which I obviously wouldn't need and which could even be harmful to an SSD... But in the device manager it says Accelerometer/"ControlVault w/o Fingerprint Sensor", so is this some security device too?

Anyone got some info on this?

Thanks!

Matthias

Notebook Guru

Default Re: AccelerometerP11 info?

I believe it is a device driver that puts your hard drive in a protected state in case of a sudden drop.
    I have it on my XPS 15, but mine is a regular disk drive.
    If you have an SSD, I'm not sure whether it would help at all since there are no moving parts... Weird...

Notebook Consultant

Yeah, that's why I'm asking. Because the driver was installed when I got the laptop, and the driver's name also suggests it is more than just a free fall sensor.

But there is no info on the net about this. And I heard a free fall sensor activated could even harm an SSD...

Custom User Title

Quote Originally Posted by MatzeXXX View Post
    Yeah, that's why I'm asking. Because the driver was installed when I got the laptop, and the driver's name also suggests it is more than just a free fall sensor.

But there is no info on the net about this. And I heard a free fall sensor activated could even harm an SSD...
    This is probably worth taking up with Dell to determine if it will interfere with an SSD. You can probably live without it, but uninstalling always has the potential of side affects you may not incur if never installed in the first place.

GK

06/10 Dell Latitude E6410 Core i7-620M nVidia Quadro NVS 3100M w/Express Card Win7 x64 reimage
    12/08 Dell Latitude E6400 Core 2 Duo P9500 nVidia Quadro NVS 160M w/Express Card Win7 x64 reimage WinVista x64 reimage
    This forum looks better and displays faster in vBulletin Default Style!

Notebook Consultant

Just spoke to one guy at Dell and he says it can remain installed and won't do any harm. It basically tries to move the heads in case laptop gets dropped, but obviously can't move heads, so nothing happens.