Quantcast Docked E6420 wake up issue

Closed Thread
    Notebook Consultant

Default Docked E6420 wake up issue

hello!

ok, i got this rather nice new laptop named latitude e6420 with rather ugly looks (e.g. that power brick is a joke) but awesome power (256gb samsung ssd, i5 2520M cpu, 4 gb memory, windows 7 pro 64bit), and the fact that for the first time ever a computer of mine does not produce any noise whatsoever is psychologically so above everything i experienced in the past,

but one thing i find totally unacceptable. i got the dock station where all my external hardware is hooked up to, like the second monitor, the external HDD, the printer and the Native Instruments sound card, and in balanced mode the computer seems to not be able to wake up its monitor when i come back to it after some hours of neglectance. everything seems to be "On" except of the screen (or screens; the external one doesn't wake up either), so i have to restart the system.

that is a nuisance beyond anything i could possily tolerate.

you guys got a hint for me?

matthias

Moderately inquisitive

Default Re: Docked E6420 wake up issue

Does the problem happen with both sleep and hibernation?

Have you checked for any updated BIOS and drivers?

John

Notebook Consultant

hi! thanks so much for your quick reply, and sorry i didn't respond any earlier, but i was away for a couple of days.

i did install the new BIOS update, and so far i seem to not be able to reproduce the error i experienced earlier.

if it indeed happens again that the computer screen won't wake up, i'll post it here.

cheers

Notebook Consultant

so, yeah, i did experience the problem again. it happens when i close the lit while being docked, meaning the power conneection is set.

the laptop puts itself on stand-by, but later i guess goes to hibernate.

then when i come back everything wakes up except of the internal and external screen, which means i gotta hard reset the computer.

i installed newest intel HD graphics drivers (i don't have the nvidia option), newest BIOS - same result.

this is quite annoying behaviour.

thanks for ANY help.

Moderately inquisitive

What happens if you change the power properties so that the sleep stage is omitted and the computer goes straight to hibernation? I have always found that sleep is less reliable than hibernation.

John

Notebook Consultant

hi john,

what you wrote helped me a lot finding out what caused the problem. i got an external usb soundcard (native instruments audio 2 dj, these days sold under the name traktor audio 2) connected to the dock. if that's plugged in, screen won't wake up from sleep, if it's disconnected no problem.

so i think i am gonna do what you wrote and just put it on hibernation instead of sleep when closing the lit. at the same time i have to make sure the energy settings are gonna do the same when the computer is on idle...

cheers!

Moderately inquisitive

Thanks for the update. It's useful to know the source of the problem.

John