Quantcast Dell Precision m6400 MEMORY UPGRADE

Closed Thread

Default Dell Precision m6400 MEMORY UPGRADE

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum, I figured i would sign up to ask for some assistance. I recently bought 4 sticks of 4GB DDR3 RAM for my Dell Precision m6400. It was an awesome deal:

Crucial CT51264BC1339 4GB DDR3 PC3-10600 204-pin SODIMM Notebook Memory in Memory for Desktop and Notebook Computers at JR.com

so i had to take advantage of it.

First I am running Windows 7 64-bit so my computer can handle this. Now for my issue, I successfully got 8gb of RAM working (the memory is installed in DIMM A and DIMM B). I am trying to install the other 8gb of memory in DIMM C and DIMM D but when i put the memory in either of those slots or both and turn on the computer it does not start up. the power is on but it simply doesn't do anything at all, just a black screen. All the memory sticks are exactly the same, same size and same speeds.

Do any of you know what the issue may be? Should i try installing the memory into DIMM A and DIMM D or DIMM B and DIMM C as seen mentioned in this Dell support page:

Documentation

I'm not sure exactly what I should do. Is there something I have to enable to make all 16gb of memory to work? Please help me if you can! Any input is appreciated.

Notebook Consultant

Default Re: Dell Precision m6400 MEMORY UPGRADE

I have 16gb in my M6400 as well and all I did was install the 4gb DIMMS in the four slots (all four are identical here as well). You could try moving the DIMMS around and reseat them. If that doesnt help you might have a bad memory channel on your systemboard or some bad memory.

damn it well that sucks. is there someway i can find out if it is a bad memory channel or something? i think it's a little weird that the computer simply doesn't start up when i add anything more than 8gb (i even put in my old 1gb stick and it still wouldn't turn on). also i did move around the DIMM, i put one stick in DIMM A and the other in DIMM D and the computer turned on successfully. I don't know what else to do ahhhhhhhh haha thank you for your input. i want to get this to work!

can i haz broadwell?

I think you can eliminate any hardware problems by testing each DIMM slot individually. Given that all the banks work, make sure you have the latest BIOS revision. If that still doesn't work, I'd say the M6400 might not like PC10600 memory that much?

yellowlt4, are you using PC8500 or PC10600?
    n o n s e n s e - w a r s . c o m

Intel NUC DC53427HYE Akasa Newton V/i5-3427U/8GB/HD 4000/830 128GB/7 Pro
    ThinkPad Yoga i5-4300U/4GB/HD 4400/FHD/Digitizer/Pro 1500 180GB/8.1 Pro

D830 Review/CPU Compatibility/GPU Reflow

Alright I got an update/ a new breakthrough. I successfully got 12gb of ram to work. What I did was put them in DIMM A then DIMM D, turned on the computer, booted windows, turned it off. The I installed another stick in DIMM B, turned it on, computer started up, windows loaded and recognized 12gb or ram. Shut down, installed the last stick in DIMM C, started up nothing. Right now I will try to explain it better of what happens when it doesn't turn on. Ok so here I go.

I press the power button, it turns on an stays on, the hard drive icon on the keyboard/speaker thing stays lit for like 4 seconds then turns off. The hard drive does make it's turn on noise but that stops after a second. Any ideas? It's good that I got 12gb to work. Oh yeah the last stick of memory isn't bad because I swapped it with the one I had in DIMM D. So I don't know what's wrong. So far thank you for the help guys!

Oh yeah Commander Wolf, I actually upgraded to the newest bios, A10, earlier today. And so far it's playing nice with the 10600.
    Last edited by pic2022; 23rd December 2010 at 02:48 AM. Reason: Added more.

can i haz broadwell?

What happens if you only have a stick in C and leave all the other slots empty?
    n o n s e n s e - w a r s . c o m

Intel NUC DC53427HYE Akasa Newton V/i5-3427U/8GB/HD 4000/830 128GB/7 Pro
    ThinkPad Yoga i5-4300U/4GB/HD 4400/FHD/Digitizer/Pro 1500 180GB/8.1 Pro

D830 Review/CPU Compatibility/GPU Reflow

Alright here is an update and thankfully it is a good one first let me just say I'm not stupid! ok APPARENTLY both DIMM C and DIMM D both must making a clikcing noise when you put the memory in them, unlike DIMM A and DIMM B. So let this be helpful to everyone who plans on upgrading their RAM into DIMM C and DIMM D, make sure you push hard enough so that it clicks >< hahaha well all is well and i now have my 16GB of RAM, thank you all for your help!

Notebook Consultant

I like these kind of updates! I'm glad you got it working.

It doesnt appear to matter but... FYI, I'm using PC8500 in my M6400.