Quantcast E6410 wont' hibernate or sleep - hangs black screen

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Notebook Enthusiast

Default E6410 wont' hibernate or sleep - hangs black screen

My E6410 won't hibernate. I even shut down Dropbox before I issue the sleep command. The screen goes black, the power light is solid, and the wifi is solid. The HD light flickers.

I have to shut it down by holding Power and restart.

Notebook Deity

Default Re: E6410 wont' hibernate or sleep - hangs black screen

Sounds like you need to reinstall Windows...
    DCSE, DDET, MCSA, MCTS, and MCITP Certified

Dell Latitude E6410, Intel Core i5-560M 2.66GHz, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA NVS 3100M 512MB, 256GB Samsung PM810 SSD, Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Dell UltraSharp 2209WA

Dell Latitude E6220, Intel Core i5-2520M 2.50GHz, 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung PM830 SSD, Windows 7 Enterprise x64

Dell OptiPlex 980 SMT, Intel Core i5-680 3.6GHz, 8GB RAM, 160GB Intel 320 Series SSD, 1TB Seagate Barracuda ES.2 HDD, Windows 7 Enterprise x64, Dell UltraSharp 2209WA

Notebook Enthusiast

Nope. This is fresh from the factory with all drivers and BIOS updated. Reinstalling Windows would take a hell of a long time and put me down for 15 hours of reloading software. People on other forums with similar problems say reloading didn't do a thing, assuming that it's a driver issue.

Moderately inquisitive

One possible clue: I can get my E6410 to do this if I disconnect an external HDD immediately before hibernating. I often see a gap of a minute or two before doing a safe removal of the HDD and the system reporting that it is removed (which suggests a buggy storage driver / software). Trying to hibernate during the intervening period is to be avoided. I try to remember to hibernate first and then disconnect the HDD.

However, I haven't tried to see if BIOS A06 has fixed the problem. Update to this version if you haven't done so already. There's a long list of bug fixes.

John

Notebook Enthusiast

Yeah I thought it might be several things:

1. Dropbox (almost thought that was it)
    2. Webcam (disabled in hardware manager)
    3. Bios (just went to A06 yesterday)
    4. IIS (set up a batch to close that prior to sleeping, no go)

Who knows...

Quote Originally Posted by John Ratsey View Post
    However, I haven't tried to see if BIOS A06 has fixed the problem. Update to this version if you haven't done so already. There's a long list of bug fixes.

John
    I got my E6410 last week with this problem. Well, hibernate worked but sleep didn't. Dell had me run the hardware test all ok and instructed me to download drivers.

I installed A06, the latest chipset driver, and a current video driver last night.

And it worked last night, on and off battery. Even woke after a 1 hour sleep. Today not so much.

I tried to power off holding power button for 4 seconds and it turned off (thought I was powering it off) and it powered up like waking from hibernate. Must be my power button setting, I don't know.

I need quick access walking in and out of accounts, never realized how much I use sleep mode on my old laptop and this issue is driving me nuts.

Notebook Deity

I recently setup an E6410 for a customer, and it didn't have any problems going to sleep (hibernate is disabled). It had A06 BIOS, Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Windows-provided chipset driver, and Nvidia 260.99 graphics driver. I don't remember what drivers I had manually installed, but I installed everything needed to make the unknown and generic devices recognized, except for the Broadcom USH, which I disabled.
    DCSE, DDET, MCSA, MCTS, and MCITP Certified

Dell Latitude E6410, Intel Core i5-560M 2.66GHz, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA NVS 3100M 512MB, 256GB Samsung PM810 SSD, Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Dell UltraSharp 2209WA

Dell Latitude E6220, Intel Core i5-2520M 2.50GHz, 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung PM830 SSD, Windows 7 Enterprise x64

Dell OptiPlex 980 SMT, Intel Core i5-680 3.6GHz, 8GB RAM, 160GB Intel 320 Series SSD, 1TB Seagate Barracuda ES.2 HDD, Windows 7 Enterprise x64, Dell UltraSharp 2209WA

Notebook Enthusiast

Also saw this related to USB power settings for devices that don't support powering down:

Computer does not shut down properly if Selective Suspend is enabled

There is one more setting:

Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options\Edit Plan Settings

Click Change Advanced Power Settings

Scroll to USB Settings

Disable USB Selective Suspend

Quote Originally Posted by caveatrob View Post
    Also saw this related to USB power settings for devices that don't support powering down:

Computer does not shut down properly if Selective Suspend is enabled

There is one more setting:

Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options\Edit Plan Settings

Click Change Advanced Power Settings

Scroll to USB Settings

Disable USB Selective Suspend
    The USB was already setup that way, there was an option for "wake with usb" but greyed out. I would have tried that.

The other setting I don't see Hardware and Sound in my Windows 7 Pro 32-Bit OS, I see sound but that doesn't have power options.

Thanks, as mentioned eager to try anything (outside of replacement/hardware) to get this corrected.

Notebook Enthusiast

Honestly, I've seen this problem listed with some newer Latitudes. I doubt it's your hardware.

I suspect it's something software related, probably with a driver. Could also be anything running resident, or TCP/IP connections that stubbornly don't want to go. I've seen people mention the following hardware/driver issues that caused this problem:

1. The integrated webcam driver. I've disabled my webcam entirely.
    2. The wireless network driver for particular cards. Sadly, mine isn't one of them.

I also run Dropbox and Web Services, along with Developer software, and various Autohotkey scripts.

Keep us posted on what you find.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast