Quantcast Flash Player skipping frames on full screen, full hd videos (10-15 fps instead of 24-30 fps), M4300

Closed Thread
    Notebook Enthusiast

Default Flash Player skipping frames on full screen, full hd videos (10-15 fps instead of 24-30 fps), M4300

In my laptop (Dell M4300) I have nVidia Quadro FX 360M, 256 Mb VRAM, latest video driver, 1920x1200 15" display, Core 2 Duo 2.6 Ghz, 4 Gb of RAM, 500 Gb hdd, Windows 7 64 bit, Flash Player 10.1, Firefox 3.6, Chrome and IE 8. Why playback is choppy on YouTube full hd 1080p, full screen videos? Offline full hd videos run smoothly full screen. Isn't my video card good enough for that or is the Flash player? I have hardware acceleration enabled on Flash player (enabled/disabled - no diference). In all browsers I get the same choppy playback.

Here is a screenshot I've done right clicking on YouTube player on 'Show Video Info':
    http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/893/printscreeno.jpg
    The video link is this:
    YouTube - Benny Benassi - Spaceship (Full HD Music Video 1080p)
    What do you think?

rip dmr

Default Re: Flash Player skipping frames on full screen, full hd videos (10-15 fps instead of 24-30 fps), M4300

Adobes Flash player is a performance killer (on every platform) and the video is most likely (I can't check right now) encoded in h.264 which is the most efficient video compression algorithm and therefore needs a lot of computing power.
    Dell Precision M6500 | Debian Squeeze GNU/Linux 2.6.32-5-amd64 (de) | BIOS A06 | i7-820QM @1,73GHz | 1GB + 2GB + 2x4GB RAM @1066MHz | Intel 310 mSATA SSD 80GB + 2x 500GB + 1x 750GB HDD | NVIDIA FX 2800M | WLED 1920x1200 | 2MPx camera

Notebook Evangelist

Default Re: Flash Player skipping frames on full screen, full hd videos (10-15 fps instead of 24-30 fps), M4300

Quote Originally Posted by danso View Post
    In my laptop (Dell M4300) I have nVidia Quadro FX 360M, 256 Mb VRAM, latest video driver, 1920x1200 15" display, Core 2 Duo 2.6 Ghz, 4 Gb of RAM, 500 Gb hdd, Windows 7 64 bit, Flash Player 10.1, Firefox 3.6, Chrome and IE 8. Why playback is choppy on YouTube full hd 1080p, full screen videos? Offline full hd videos run smoothly full screen. Isn't my video card good enough for that or is the Flash player? I have hardware acceleration enabled on Flash player (enabled/disabled - no diference). In all browsers I get the same choppy playback.

Here is a screenshot I've done right clicking on YouTube player on 'Show Video Info':
    http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/893/printscreeno.jpg
    The video link is this:
    YouTube - Benny Benassi - Spaceship (Full HD Music Video 1080p)
    What do you think?
    There can be a variety of reasons why your playback is choppy, and it's not related to your HP.

For instance, network packet size makes a big difference. If you're a DSL PPPoE you wan't to make sure you're not using jumbo packets. This is because DSL has an optimal packet size of 1492. If you use an alternate size, it will chop up the message, you end up with non-optimal partially filled cells. This can cause less than smooth playback.

For more on this see here.

There are also some other tweaks you can do related to Flash. Such as make sure you allow the system to buffer a good amount of video before starting playback.

Note that part of the issue could be the content provider, if the system is slow due to being under a heavy load ect.

Also note that this could be an issue on your system too. There could be other traffic such as other users on your network that taking up bandwidth.

Note that torrents can cause choppy playback because they can open a lot of connections.

In any case, if you can get smooth playback offline, the issue is not the hardware, but tweaks to the system.

Mike

Notebook Enthusiast

Thank you, but I don't think the network is the problem. I have a 30 Mbps connection and more important, even if I waited for the whole video to buffer I get the same choppy playback. My CPU runs at about 35%. If I download 1080p YouTube videos (with DownloadHelper in Firefox), mp4 format, they play just fine offline. nVidia Support told me that if the GPU is using a PCI-E x1 channel, that might be a problem. I don't know yet what is my GPU using. I've tried IE9 beta 64bit and Flash Player beta "Square" 64 bit, no change, still choppy playback.