Quantcast E6410 Owner's Thread - Page 200

+ Reply to Thread
Page 200 of 330 FirstFirst ... 100150190196197198199200201202203204210250300 ... LastLast
Results 1,991 to 2,000 of 3296
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: E6410 Owner's Thread

Default Re: E6410 Owner's Thread

Did anybody else get really annoyed by the screen brightness changing on its own? My eyes pick up on every little flicker so it was driving me INSANE.

I just spent a while but finally got rid of it completely. There were two things at play: Intel power savings and the Ambient light sensor.

For Intel display power savings (obviously not an issue with nvidia gpu), which fiddle with display brightness while on battery power:
    1) Go to intel graphics properties (via control panel, desktop right-click or tray icon)
    2) Go to power tab -> Power features
    3) Power plan settings dropbox to 'Battery'
    4) Uncheck 'display power saving technology'

The ambient light sensor (nvidia or intel, battery or plugged in) was trickier. The BIOS setting can turn it off on boot, but the Fn+Left can still turn it on. What I noticed though is that with it on (quick check is to put a finger over the sensor on the monitor and see if it dims, more noticeable on lower brightness) I could crank the display brightness way up (but with flickering). With it off however max brightness was still really dim.

So into the BIOS I went, and sure enough the 'manual' brightness was cranked way down below half (half is about right in my office, which is why it was too dim) and it seems like any brightness settings after boot were working with this reduced maximum. So I cranked that all the way up and now I have fully manual brightness control with windows settings or Fn-Up/Down as long as I don't hit Fn-Left.

What a nightmare! I was getting really annoyed at the display flickering (or dimness) so figured I post this to see if anyone had a similar experience or also wants to solve this.

Now that this is sorted out I absolutely love the machine. My only other two minor annoyances are:

1) Fingerprint reader not windows biometrics compatible. (and Dell controlvault bloatware errored on install)

2) Touchpad doesn't register tap-clicks sometimes. I'll tap on something a few times and it won't work but tapping somewhere else works right away. One time I tested how long it would take if I kept tapping on the same spot I had to tap about a dozen times. Seems like more of a software issue? (I have latest drivers from Dell)

Custom User Title

Quote Originally Posted by pnjunction View Post
    Did anybody else get really annoyed by the screen brightness changing on its own? My eyes pick up on every little flicker so it was driving me INSANE.

I just spent a while but finally got rid of it completely. There were two things at play: Intel power savings and the Ambient light sensor.

For Intel display power savings (obviously not an issue with nvidia gpu), which fiddle with display brightness while on battery power:
    1) Go to intel graphics properties (via control panel, desktop right-click or tray icon)

The ambient light sensor (nvidia or intel, battery or plugged in) was trickier. The BIOS setting can turn it off on boot, but the Fn+Left can still turn it on. What I noticed though is that with it on (quick check is to put a finger over the sensor on the monitor and see if it dims, more noticeable on lower brightness) I could crank the display brightness way up (but with flickering). With it off however max brightness was still really dim.

So into the BIOS I went, and sure enough the 'manual' brightness was cranked way down below half (half is about right in my office, which is why it was too dim) and it seems like any brightness settings after boot were working with this reduced maximum. So I cranked that all the way up and now I have fully manual brightness control with windows settings or Fn-Up/Down as long as I don't hit Fn-Left.

What a nightmare! I was getting really annoyed at the display flickering (or dimness) so figured I post this to see if anyone had a similar experience or also wants to solve this.

Now that this is sorted out I absolutely love the machine. My only other two minor annoyances are:

1) Fingerprint reader not windows biometrics compatible. (and Dell controlvault bloatware errored on install)

2) Touchpad doesn't register tap-clicks sometimes. I'll tap on something a few times and it won't work but tapping somewhere else works right away. One time I tested how long it would take if I kept tapping on the same spot I had to tap about a dozen times. Seems like more of a software issue? (I have latest drivers from Dell)
    Yeah, the ambient light sensor can be too sensitive. It should have a longer delay before kicking in to avoid the frequent adjustments. Not a nightmare, though, just turn it off.

GK

06/10 Dell Latitude E6410 Core i7-620M nVidia Quadro NVS 3100M w/Express Card Win7 x64 reimage
    12/08 Dell Latitude E6400 Core 2 Duo P9500 nVidia Quadro NVS 160M w/Express Card Win7 x64 reimage WinVista x64 reimage
    This forum looks better and displays faster in vBulletin Default Style!

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by pnjunction View Post

Thanks. I noticed that my E6410 changes brightness by itself too. Lets see if it works...

NvGPUPro

If your screen flickers, all the time. Then it's your screen that is set to 40Hz instead of 60Hz. Dell power saving feature does that. In the Windows power option, you can tell it to not reduce the screen refresh rate, so that it stays at 60Hz. I can't comment on the E6410, but on the E6400, you don't save that much battery life.. maybe 15-20min depending on your battery, and PERHAPS screen model (resolution).
    My projects:Nv GPU Tweak Tool - The best tweak tool for Nvidia GPU's..

Dell Lat. E6400: Quadro NVS 160M / 4GB / P8400 / 1440x900 / DVD Burner / 9-cell bat. / Win 7 Pro 64-bit.

Quote Originally Posted by GKDesigns View Post
    Yeah, the ambient light sensor can be too sensitive. It should have a longer delay before kicking in to avoid the frequent adjustments. Not a nightmare, though, just turn it off.
    GK
    Indeed it was the sensitivity that was making it so annoying. It was probably just me shifting my body around in front of it (ie. between the laptop and my desktop) that was making it adjust.

If you read my tolstoy though the secondary problem was that manual brightness was limited when the ALS was off by the brightness setting in the BIOS.

Regarding the 40/60 Hz thing I did change it from 40 to 60 at some point. Looking at the two now though I am hard pressed to tell the difference, maybe it would be more apparent under different lighting conditions. The brightness changing was far more annoying.

Notebook Consultant

How long does it take your E6410 to get to the BIOS screen? Mine can take about 10 seconds or so just to reach the BIOS splash screen. Seems pretty long almost as long as it takes to boot up off my SSD.

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by parawizard View Post
    How long does it take your E6410 to get to the BIOS screen? Mine can take about 10 seconds or so just to reach the BIOS splash screen. Seems pretty long almost as long as it takes to boot up off my SSD.
    Mine takes 10 seconds to the Dell logo splash screen
    45 seconds to the Welcome screen
    60 seconds to the desktop
    On an E6410 i5 GMA with 7200rpm drive.
    I was able to hop on the intenet in just under 60 seconds, but after installing ControlPoint Manager it now takes 2 minutes for the network to be ready. After a clean install and drivers reinstallation, I noticed I needed ControlPoint to set the duration of the backlit keyboard illumination, but that driver install also put Dell System Manager in my startup folder, and it may be causing a conflict w/ Igfx tray, also in startup. Can I disable both, and can I also disable igfxpers? While I'm at it, can I remove HotKeysCmds from startup and do I need the Broadcom Wireless Manager to load automatically?

Windows popped up this driver alert and something about a confict causing a resume from sleep issue

Last edited by gergev; 11th December 2010 at 06:40 AM.

Notebook Enthusiast

I also have this issue. When I run the Connection diagnostics with the DW WLAN Card Utility it fails at the 6th step "Internet IP ping", then skips the DNS IP ping and Internet Website Domain Name ping.

It passes the Hardware diagnostics and I'm able to get on the intenet anyway, but the system tray Network icon will have a yellow exclamation point on it for a while, although that's probably related to something else.

This diagnostic would 'fail' even before installing the ControlPoint software. Now the system tray Network icon has issues for another minute after booting to the desktop, with a spinning circle, then blurred with a yellow circle, then the yellow exclamation mark. I can't get on the intenet until the blurred circle disappears.

Notebook Enthusiast

Just to add some background and pollute this thread further, I should add that earlier this week I put a clean installation onto a new HD into one partition with the Dell reinstallation DVD for Win 7 pro 32-bit. Thanks to the help from GK and John posts it seemed to go pretty well. I believe the clean install was the main reason the boot time (from power on to internet-access ready) was reduced from original two minutes with Dell software/partitions to 55 seconds.

I attempted to use GK's driver install guide, but probably got the order mixed up. I think the Intel GMA also installed several drivers at once. Here is what I put in, before adding ControlPoint several days later.

I got the 6410 from the outlet for use as a 'home' laptop. It has no modem, wwan, expresscard, fingerprint reader, camera, dock, latitude ON. After installing the A6 BIOS, I changed Fastboot from thorough to minimum, but it didn't seem to affect boot time. I also disabled internal modem, expresscard, parallel port and serial port, OROM Keyboard access, virtualization. Wasn't sure about CPU XD Support, so left it enabled.

This laptop is very nice for under $500, runs fairly cool, fan not obnoxious...

Custom User Title

Quote Originally Posted by gergev View Post
    Just to add some background and pollute this thread further, I should add that earlier this week I put a clean installation onto a new HD into one partition with the Dell reinstallation DVD for Win 7 pro 32-bit. Thanks to the help from GK and John posts it seemed to go pretty well. I believe the clean install was the main reason the boot time (from power on to internet-access ready) was reduced from original two minutes with Dell software/partitions to 55 seconds.

I attempted to use GK's driver install guide, but probably got the order mixed up. I think the Intel GMA also installed several drivers at once. Here is what I put in, before adding ControlPoint several days later.

I got the 6410 from the outlet for use as a 'home' laptop. It has no modem, wwan, expresscard, fingerprint reader, camera, dock, latitude ON. After installing the A6 BIOS, I changed Fastboot from thorough to minimum, but it didn't seem to affect boot time. I also disabled internal modem, expresscard, parallel port and serial port, OROM Keyboard access, virtualization. Wasn't sure about CPU XD Support, so left it enabled.

This laptop is very nice for under $500, runs fairly cool, fan not obnoxious...
    Definitely should have installed the Intel chipset software first and then the Dell system software second. The install order through video and sound is pretty standard. The Intel chipset software may provide some basis for the subsequent installation of the Intel video driver.

I think you can remove DCP from Startup and run whatever manually when you need it. You can remove anything from Startup and always put it back, if rquired.

Does anyone know if Sun JAVA is required or does MS provide its own JAVA support. Sorry if that is a dumb question.

Regarding the Dell WAN, I view Dell as an integrator, so when they start making their own competing bits, its to take a bigger piece of the profit margin, not necessarily to build better bits... so given a choice, I'd go for the Intel WAN to better interoperate with the Intel system.

GK
    Last edited by GKDesigns; 11th December 2010 at 10:13 AM.

06/10 Dell Latitude E6410 Core i7-620M nVidia Quadro NVS 3100M w/Express Card Win7 x64 reimage
    12/08 Dell Latitude E6400 Core 2 Duo P9500 nVidia Quadro NVS 160M w/Express Card Win7 x64 reimage WinVista x64 reimage
    This forum looks better and displays faster in vBulletin Default Style!