Quantcast E4600: is the audio quality from the DisplayPort(HDMI) same as from the headphones?

Closed Thread
    Notebook Consultant

Default E4600: is the audio quality from the DisplayPort(HDMI) same as from the headphones?

I'd like to load a few 720p movies onto my E4600 and hooking it up to my LCD TV to watch movies. Thing is that when I connect my 2.1 speakers to the laptop through the headphone port, the audio isn't very good. I'm wondering if when I use the DisplayPort (will be using a DP->HDMI cable/adpater) will thet audio quality be the same.

Notebook Consultant

Default Re: E4600: is the audio quality from the DisplayPort(HDMI) same as from the headphones?

Audio from the headphone port will be analog converted by the system's sound card (and subject to volume controls on the system as well as your speaker system). Audio from an HDMI/DisplayPort connection will be digital and converted to analog by your receiver. In short, don't use the headphone port unless you've got to.
    Jason Litka | Utter Ramblings

Systems:
    Dell Adamo 13, Dell Latitude E4200, Dell Mini 9

Notebook Consultant

Default Re: E4600: is the audio quality from the DisplayPort(HDMI) same as from the headphones?

what if i don't use a receiver? i''ll just be connecting the laptop straight to the LCD TV with that DisplayPort->HDMI cable.

Notebook Consultant

Then your TV will be doing the digital to analog conversion and, depending on the type of data sent (AC3, for example), possibly the decoding and downmixing as well.

EDIT: If the TV allows volume control of the signal it outputs, as well as your speaker system, then you're not really any better off than sending audio straight from the notebook unless you're getting interference from the HD, DVD drive, etc. when using the notebook's headphone ports.
    Jason Litka | Utter Ramblings

Systems:
    Dell Adamo 13, Dell Latitude E4200, Dell Mini 9