Quantcast e6400 hard drive replacement

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    Notebook Geek
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    93
    Rep Power
    16

    Default e6400 hard drive replacement

    I want a 7200 500GB drive in the E6400 that I plan to purchase.
    Dell doesnt offer a drive this big.
    These drives are quite cheap these days. So i will get the the E6400 with an 80GB and swap it out with an aftermarket 7200 500GB.
    Im hoping to use the OS disk that comes with the machine to install Vista on the new drive.
    Did anyone do also do this?
    did you run into any problems?
    Please share the Aftermarket drive you went with.
    Thanks

  2. #2
    Notebook Evangelist
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    423
    Rep Power
    15

    Default Re: e6400 hard drive replacement

    Quote Originally Posted by techman41973 View Post
    I want a 7200 500GB drive in the E6400 that I plan to purchase.
    Dell doesnt offer a drive this big.
    These drives are quite cheap these days. So i will get the the E6400 with an 80GB and swap it out with an aftermarket 7200 500GB.
    Im hoping to use the OS disk that comes with the machine to install Vista on the new drive.
    Did anyone do also do this?
    did you run into any problems?
    Please share the Aftermarket drive you went with.
    Thanks
    The OEM licensed Vista that you get with the machine will not refuse to install or activate if you exchange the harddrive. Should you be using XP you will, however, either need to clone the drive or have to already have another XP professional disc lying around, for Microsoft doesn't allow OEMs to give out XP discs to their customers anymore. What you are really buying when you buy an XP laptop is a Vista license with the right to downgrade to XP, which Dell already did for you.
    You will not need to re-activate XP just because the harddisk changed.

    For my old and new drives, see my signature.

    Edit: Added XP, too.
    Last edited by Christoph.krn; 12th May 2009 at 11:30 PM.
    Dell Precision M4400: P8600 2.40GHz, 4GB RAM, WUXGA-RGBLED SEC5443, Intel 5100 AGN, Quadro FX 1700M, Intel Gen1 X25-M 80GB SSD (Initially 250GB 7200RPM HDD WD2500BJKT), BL Keyboard.

  3. #3
    Moderately inquisitive
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Swindon, UK
    Posts
    24,564
    Rep Power
    126

    Default Re: e6400 hard drive replacement

    Upgrading the HDD is very easy. I've gone from 160GB to 320GB to 500GB.

    I use the cloning method as described here, because Dell didn't give me an XP reinstallation disc.

    John

  4. #4
    can i haz haswell?
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    7,972
    Rep Power
    50

    Default Re: e6400 hard drive replacement

    Seems to be a crapshot with this XP disk... Dell did give me an XP disk with my original E6400, and it did give my friend an XP disk with his E6400 as well. More recently, a relative of mine who bought a new E6400 also got an XP disk, and it was finally with SP3 as well.

    That being said, XP installation on my E6400 was arguably easier than that on my old D830; no problems whatsoever aside from the usual SATA/ATA shenanigans.
    n o n s e n s e - w a r s . c o m

    Intel NUC DC5327HYE Akasa Newton V/i5-3427U/8GB/HD 4000/830 128GB/7 Pro
    ThinkPad Yoga i5-4300U/4GB/HD 4400/FHD/Digitizer/Pro 1500 180GB/8.1 Pro

    D830 Review/CPU Compatibility/GPU Reflow

  5. #5
    Web Designer & Developer
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,589
    Rep Power
    23

    Default Re: e6400 hard drive replacement

    Quote Originally Posted by Commander Wolf View Post
    Seems to be a crapshot with this XP disk... Dell did give me an XP disk with my original E6400, and it did give my friend an XP disk with his E6400 as well. More recently, a relative of mine who bought a new E6400 also got an XP disk, and it was finally with SP3 as well.

    That being said, XP installation on my E6400 was arguably easier than that on my old D830; no problems whatsoever aside from the usual SATA/ATA shenanigans.
    Huh, so the Dell XP reinstallation CD isn't slipstreamed with SATA drivers?
    Eric Huang is a Freelance Web Designer and Developer
    http://erichuangis.com

  6. #6
    Notebook Evangelist
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    manila, philippines
    Posts
    429
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Re: e6400 hard drive replacement

    Quote Originally Posted by Theros123 View Post
    Huh, so the Dell XP reinstallation CD isn't slipstreamed with SATA drivers?
    nope.... it's not
    Dell E6400 - Vaio VPCYB35A

  7. #7
    Web Designer & Developer
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,589
    Rep Power
    23

    Default Re: e6400 hard drive replacement

    Quote Originally Posted by MDR8850 View Post
    nope.... it's not
    wow, that's useless of them.
    Eric Huang is a Freelance Web Designer and Developer
    http://erichuangis.com

  8. #8
    Notebook Geek
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    93
    Rep Power
    16

    Default Re: e6400 hard drive replacement

    It seems the best way to do it is to clone the drive to avoid issues with OS installation. I know that my M1330 last year came with quite a bit of bloatware and i preferred to reinstall the OS.
    How clean is the installation that comes with the E6400 (bloatware wise)
    XP or Vista? Is it still preferencial to reinstall the OS anyway.

  9. #9
    Moderately inquisitive
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Swindon, UK
    Posts
    24,564
    Rep Power
    126

    Default Re: e6400 hard drive replacement

    The nearest the E6400 has to bloatware can be the Dell ControlPoint Connection Manager and Security Manager software. I'm not sure if they are installed by default but, if you don't need their functionality, then remove them.

    John

  10. #10
    Notebook Evangelist
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    manila, philippines
    Posts
    429
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Re: e6400 hard drive replacement

    the only bloatware i had when i got my e6400 on vista business was the DCP and the DVD uitility. which i just uninstalled. installed registry booster and it was fine. then updated the bios and other drivers from the site
    Dell E6400 - Vaio VPCYB35A

 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:45 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1