Quantcast How to upgrade RAM in E6400

Closed Thread
    Notebook Enthusiast

Default How to upgrade RAM in E6400

Hi

Please apologize to my ignorance, I seems can't figure out how to open my laptop. I unscrew 3 screws from the bottom of the laptop; and notice 2 of the screws is to secure the HDD, so it seems there is only one main screw to hold the bottom. After I unscrew everything, I try to slide down away from the battery, it just doesn't open, I don't want to force anything, am I doing it right?

Thank you

Notebook Consultant

Default Re: How to upgrade RAM in E6400

Yes, there is one screw and then the bottom slides away from the battery and drops off. At that point you will see the stacked memory slots.

NBR Random Reviewer
    ASUS U36JC-A1 w/ Intel 6300 wifi || G.Skill 256GB SSD
    Dell Latitude E6400 (company laptop) w/ Intel P8600 || 160GB HDD || 4GB Ram || Nvidia Quadro 160M
    Canon 5DMKII || 24-70mm f/2.8L || 70-200mm f/2.8L IS VII|| 100mm 2.8L Macro || 430EX II
    flickr

Notebook Enthusiast

Thanks for your help

Notebook Virtuoso

Has anyone else noticed Dell's apparent move to making the entire bottom panel removable instead of various small access panels for upgradeable parts? I was amazed it only has a single screw on my E6400...but it is magnesium alloy. The Studio 15's plastic bottom panel has 7 different screws to fasten it into place. And when it is removed, the Studio quivers like Jell-o...scary!

NBR Random Reviewer

Quote Originally Posted by allfiredup View Post
    Has anyone else noticed Dell's apparent move to making the entire bottom panel removable instead of various small access panels for upgradeable parts? I was amazed it only has a single screw on my E6400...but it is magnesium alloy. The Studio 15's plastic bottom panel has 7 different screws to fasten it into place. And when it is removed, the Studio quivers like Jell-o...scary!
    The bottom panel is actually plastic. The magnesium alloy is found in the chassis and not used on any of the E6400's exterior casing.
    Nevertheless, the single screw and single back panel is impressive and certainly very convenient for people whom likes to tweak and make modifications on their laptops
    ASUS U36JC-A1 w/ Intel 6300 wifi || G.Skill 256GB SSD
    Dell Latitude E6400 (company laptop) w/ Intel P8600 || 160GB HDD || 4GB Ram || Nvidia Quadro 160M
    Canon 5DMKII || 24-70mm f/2.8L || 70-200mm f/2.8L IS VII|| 100mm 2.8L Macro || 430EX II
    flickr

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    The bottom panel is actually plastic. The magnesium alloy is found in the chassis and not used on any of the E6400's exterior casing.
    Nevertheless, the single screw and single back panel is impressive and certainly very convenient for people whom likes to tweak and make modifications on their laptops
    The bootom door on my E6400 is NOT plastic, It is Magnesium alloy. The LCD top on my E6400 is also Magnesium alloy. The only plastic I can find is in the palm rest and the few other small plastic peices like the hinge covers.

Notebook Virtuoso

I honestly can't tell what material is used for the bottom cover, but it feels oddly metal-like....could be a really good paint/finish on some heavy duty (but lightweight) plastic?

In any case, the magnesium alloy case/frame makes the E6400 feel rock-solid! Even when the bottom cover is removed and you pick the machine up (upside-down, of course), it doesn't feel any less sturdy. The Studio 15 without it's plastic bottom cover (and the seven screws that accompany it) feels like you could twist the entire thing if you got a good grip on each side with both hands....or snap it like a twig!

Long story, short= Latitude GOOD!
    "It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot