Quantcast Precision M6400 screen color as blue push/tint - Page 12

Closed Thread
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast
    Notebook Enthusiast

Default Re: Precision M6400 screen color as blue push/tint

Hi, i just bought a precision m6400, rgbled antiglare, LG panel. The monitor has a significant shift in hue towards the blue, i can tell cause what should be grey looks bluish. I got it 3 days ago and i've been messing around with the nvidia panel but there's no way to get rid of saturation. I contacted DELL yesterday, no answer yet. What i'm asking is if using a calibrator things can be fixed or there's no way to get the grey looking totally desaturated, in which case i'll need to return the laptop. Thanks.

Hi,

I finally bought colormunki (version: photo) to profile my m6400 rgb-led matte display (Everest reports it to be a LGD018E).
    Reason for choosing colormunki was, that it does not use a colorimeter but a spectrophotometer which, in general, doesnt suffer the same limitation in terms of wide gamut color spaces as colorimeters (still?) do.

Downside of colormunki was its software that couldn't provide v2 icc-profiles but only v4 profiles that cant be read/loaded by many ordinary applications. With software version 1.1. this problem got meanwhile solved.

Still, there are some minor bugs: i.e.: you have to load your generated monitor profile manually after booting, because the colormunki-autostart profile-loading takes place before vista (64) has finished its booting process, what means: vista overrides the already loaded colormunki-profile with its own default profil.
    To load the profile manually just use colormunki Gamma. Same is necessary after your pc wakes up from hibernation.

The result of calibrating my monitor with colormunki is not bad - I have to check it against a professional printed colorchart though.

You may test my profile (download colormunki_1_1_D65.icm ) and report back how it works for you.

Any advice on how to configure the vista color system with regard to Adobe CS4 applications is appreciated as well.

Hey Zudoof, thx for ur .icc profile
    I have m6400 rgb led antiglare too, and oversaturation problem makes me crazy, ur file help a little bit (some colors are still oversaturated - red, pink...)

Notebook Enthusiast

For more information on color calibration of laptop LCDs, how to avoid LUT wars and how to do color management in Vista, you might want to read some of the FAQs here:

http://www.xrite.com/product_overvie...upport&id=1161
    Dell Precision M6400 / Intel QX9300 2.53GHz / nVidia Quadro FX3700M / WUXGA RGB LED / RAM 16GB DDR3 1066MHz / 2x 500GB 7200 RPM HDD / Backlit keyboard / Intel Wifi 5300 / Crucial M4 SSD / Dell BlueTooth 370 / Win7 Ultimate 64bit

Notebook Enthusiast

Default How to calibrate M6400 LG LED panel correctly

I checked much deeper into calibration and color profiles and this is that I figured out.

When calibration is performed there are 3 steps in total.
    1. Calibrator will measure parameters of the given screen and then create the LUT correction table.
    2. Calibration software will load LUT to Video card to correct color coordinates of white point and gamma based on the white point and gamma you specified to calibrate for.
    3. Calibrator will measure screen again (after LUT is loaded) and will create the ICM profile which will contain new white point gamma and color coordinates for RED, GREEN, and BUE.

After ICM is assigned to the monitor, color managed applications will correct the colors taking in consideration color profile of the image you are working with and color profile of the monitor.

There is one problem I noticed about calibrating LGD018E LED panel on m6400. For sRGB and Adobe RGB white point color coordinates supposed to be x:0.3127 y:0.3290 which matches to D65 or ~6500K. My Spyder 3 Elite seems to set this white point fine for any monitor I tried except for my m6400 LGD018E LED panel. In colorimeter mode white is measured as x:0.324 y:0.327 before and after calibration! Whis white point does not correspond to any color standard. For some reason Dstacolor software is not adjusting it to 6500K even if it told so. At the same time grey before calibration is totaly off - x:0.277 y:0.285 which corresponds to 10667K!
    Gamma adjustment is performed fine to gamma 2.2.

To correct the problem I had to adjust the white point manually using nvidia driver which on XP and x64 XP in "adjust desktop color settings" has a "Graph" adjustment (not available in Vista drivers).
    I set the following:
    Removed center point from the graph. And then adjusted colors top point the following way:
    R: in:1 / out:0.97
    G: in:1 / out:1
    B: in:1 / out:0.98

Using calibration device in colorimeter mode I checked the setting and got the following coordinates for white point:
    x:0.312697 (ideal D65:0.3127)
    y:0.328109 (ideal D65:0.3290)
    I could not get closer to D65 than this. Then I set spyder software to calibrate for native white point and gamma 2.2 with gray balanced calibration OFF. As a result I got my gamma djusted correctly while keeping correct white poiint. Both White and Gray (127,127,127) is very close to 6500K now. ICM profile is fine. So I am happy about the results.

Regarding whindows interface and colors in non color managed applications like Internet explorer - they are oversaturated, but this is what you get with wide gammut monitor anyway. After assigning ICM profile to the monitor, colors produced by color managed applications are fine.

This is the data from ICM profile about monitor after above adjustments and after LUT is loaded:
    White point:
    x:0.312697 (ideal D65:0.3127)
    y:0.328109 (ideal D65:0.3290)

Red - better than Adobe RGB:
    x:0.692712 (Adobe RGB: 0.6400)
    y:0.303864 (Adobe RGB: 0.3300)

Green - worse than Adobe RGB:
    x:0.199295 (Adobe RGB: 0.2100)
    y:0.674009 (Adobe RGB: 0.7100)

Blue - almost as Adobe RGB:
    x:0.155679 (Adobe RGB: 0.1500)
    y:0.054599 (Adobe RGB: 0.0600)

As you can see from coordinates above the coverage is very similar to Adobe RGB even when white point is set to D65 (6500K) manually via graph adjustment.

Please do remember that even after correct white point adjustment all non - color managed applications (windows interface, internet explorer, picture and fax viewer in XP will give you oversaturaded colors with usually greenish tint as you LED panel is wide gammut so green is much more saturated than on standard sRGB panel and even RED is oversaturated as well!

Hope this helps.

P.S. I think Dell is lying about the 100% coverage of Adobe RGB Or maybe it is my spyder not detecting green correctly Looks like our days color management is a very funny computer game!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by shlang; 14th July 2009 at 01:13 AM.

Notebook Enthusiast

I was able to get my RGB LED anti-glare screen (LGD018E) pretty much dialed in by:

1) Going to the Nvidia control panel in Win 7 and setting: (any values not indicated are set to default)

Red
    Brightness - 52%
    Contrast - 55%
    Gamma - 48%

Green
    Contrast - 55%

Blue
    Contrast - 55%
    Gamma - 44%

2) Calibrating with Eye One Match software and setting:

White point - 6400K (instead of 6500)
    Brightness - 100cd/m2 (required turning down brightness to about 25%)

Now, everything looks good. Whites and neutrals are neutral. I lost a little saturation, but the M6400 screen is now about 90%+ match to my Eizo CE240W. No more Disney-color. And, no blue tint, no purple reds or ruddy skin tones. Hooray!

If you follow the Nvidia control panel adjustments above and load the monitor profile I've attached into the Color Management tab under Display, you should get about the same color. Also be sure to adjust your screen brightness as indicated in the attached image.

Hope this helps those who are still struggling.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Brightness settings.JPG  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoGeek View Post
    I was able to get my RGB LED anti-glare screen (LGD018E) pretty much dialed in by:

Hope this helps those who are still struggling.
    I checked your ICC profile - your white point is off it is:
    x:0.345702
    y:0.358537

your gamma is 2.22 instead of 2.2 (2.1999)

You may get program called ICC Profile Inspector for free and check your profile.

The profiles contains measurements performed after LUT adjustment, so basically by inspecting it you can tell what you have right now.

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by shlang View Post
    I checked your ICC profile - your white point is off it is:
    x:0.345702
    y:0.358537

your gamma is 2.22 instead of 2.2 (2.1999)

You may get program called ICC Profile Inspector for free and check your profile.

The profiles contains measurements performed after LUT adjustment, so basically by inspecting it you can tell what you have right now.
    Remember, my Eye One profile was created after I adjusted my Nvidia settings. If I left those settings at defaults and then profiled, the results were not optimal. Reds looked purple, whites were bluish, saturated greens, blues, and reds were way over-pumped. I've found that with laptop displays, making adjustments prior to profiling made for a better end result.

And, the final litmus test is putting a test target on my M6400 screen and on my Eizo ColorEdge side-by-side and seeing how they stack up. With the settings and ICC profile I posted, they do.

Thank you for the suggestion of ICC Profile Inspector. I'll check it out.

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoGeek View Post
    If I left those settings at defaults and then profiled, the results were not optimal. Reds looked purple, whites were bluish, saturated greens, blues, and reds were way over-pumped.
    Do you have a colorimeter mode with your calibration software?

Are you on Vista or Old good XP?

Thanks.

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by shlang View Post
    Do you have a colorimeter mode with your calibration software?

Are you on Vista or Old good XP?

Thanks.
    I use an Eye One XT system, which using the Eye One Pro. This unit is a spectrophotometer, which is much more accurate than the Eye One Display 2 which is a colorimeter.

I'm running Windows 7 RC.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast