Quantcast Dell D430 3GB ram?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    9
    Rep Power
    16

    Default Dell D430 3GB ram?

    Dell states that the max ram for the D430 model is 2GB (1GB onboard + 1GB slot). Although, I have read that the chipset supports up to 4GB..would it be possible for me to purchase a 2GB card to replace the 1GB and achieve 3GB total RAM?

    I have googled and it seems as if a person has claimed to have accomplished this. Just wanted to confirm...anyone know for sure?

  2. #2
    Notebook Prophet
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    England
    Posts
    6,399
    Rep Power
    43

    Default Re: Dell D430 3GB ram?

    if you do have a vacant slot apart from the onboard ram, go for the 2gig ram, since the i945GM can support upto 2GB in each bank..!!
    But if it makes your system unstable, you would be getting BSODs all the time, since it mainly depends upon the BIOS, whether the extra ram will be supported or not....

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    9
    Rep Power
    16

    Default Re: Dell D430 3GB ram?

    Quote Originally Posted by angad1608 View Post
    if you do have a vacant slot apart from the onboard ram, go for the 2gig ram, since the i945GM can support upto 2GB in each bank..!!
    But if it makes your system unstable, you would be getting BSODs all the time, since it mainly depends upon the BIOS, whether the extra ram will be supported or not....
    Yea theoretically the 945GM can support 4GB, but has anyone seen the D430 use 3GB with no problems?

  4. #4
    X2P
    X2P is offline
    I♥COOLING | NBR Super Mod
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Montreal, QC
    Posts
    5,361
    Rep Power
    42

    Default Re: Dell D430 3GB ram?

    Quote Originally Posted by white_dc5 View Post
    Yea theoretically the 945GM can support 4GB, but has anyone seen the D430 use 3GB with no problems?
    Exactly, the chipset can support it while the mother board doesnt.
    NotebookReview.com | Super Moderator
    PCGamingCorner.com | Partner Site

    Notebook-Cooling.com | Editor in Chief
    GadgetSurge.com | Editor in Chief

    Latest Review: | Razer Onza Tournament Edition
    Latest Article: | Latest Gadget News



  5. #5
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    9
    Rep Power
    16

    Default Re: Dell D430 3GB ram?

    Quote Originally Posted by X2P View Post
    Exactly, the chipset can support it while the mother board doesnt.
    So you're saying it won't work?

  6. #6
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Dell D430 3GB ram?

    i tried it with ddr2 pc2-5400 and it did not work. I put the ram in the 630 and it was able to accept the additional ram.

    the 430 is a great laptop but needs more ram.

  7. #7
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    7
    Rep Power
    15

    Default Re: Dell D430 3GB ram?

    it works, but you have to update your bios to a06

  8. #8
    NBR Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    NBR Moderator HQ
    Posts
    16,217
    Rep Power
    92

    Default Re: Dell D430 3GB ram?

    The D430 uses a lower power (and lower capable) chipset. It only supports 1GB per slot, up to 2GB max.

    I've tried it. If you put in a stick larger than 1GB, the laptop will not boot.
    Desktop   15" Macbook Pro Retina
    W7 Ultimate, Core i7 4770k, Crucial M500 240GB SSD   
    16GB RAM, GTX 780, 3x Dell U2412M Surround
       Mavericks, Core i7 4750HQ, 8GB RAM
       256GB SSD, 32GB iPad Air

  9. #9
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    7
    Rep Power
    15

    Default Re: Dell D430 3GB ram?

    Greg is correct. The D-430 is incapable of supporting 3gbs of ram even if the bios is updated to the newest version, A07. The screen lights up but remains blink and will not load. If anyone has figured out a way to upgrade the Ram, please let me know.

  10. #10
    NBR Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    NBR Moderator HQ
    Posts
    16,217
    Rep Power
    92

    Default Re: Dell D430 3GB ram?

    Quote Originally Posted by JasonPearsall View Post
    Greg is correct. The D-430 is incapable of supporting 3gbs of ram even if the bios is updated to the newest version, A07. The screen lights up but remains blink and will not load. If anyone has figured out a way to upgrade the Ram, please let me know.
    This is a CHIPSET LIMITATION and it cannot be overcome. 2GB will ALWAYS be the maximum the D430 can support.

    It isn't the BIOS holding it down. The hardware itself cannot have more than 2GB accessible.

    Dell's BIOS just check to see if more than 2GB is installed, and hangs if true.
    Desktop   15" Macbook Pro Retina
    W7 Ultimate, Core i7 4770k, Crucial M500 240GB SSD   
    16GB RAM, GTX 780, 3x Dell U2412M Surround
       Mavericks, Core i7 4750HQ, 8GB RAM
       256GB SSD, 32GB iPad Air

 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:30 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1