Quantcast Latitude D420 vs. Latitude D430

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Notebook Evangelist

Default Latitude D420 vs. Latitude D430

This is something i've been wondering for a while, what's the difference? They are both still on sale and they both have exactly the same specs. The only difference is that the D420 uses a U2500 processor whereas the D430 U7600 but they both run at the same clock speed and I can see little difference between the two. The only other thing i've noticed is the secondary battery module in the D430, which the D420 doesn't have, but it is rather confusing as there is little other information about it and I can see no way they could have included a second built-in battery.
    Last edited by The General; 9th October 2007 at 09:17 AM.

Notebook Prophet

Default Re: Latitude D420 vs. Latitude D430

the d430 has the new chipset.

Notebook Deity

the only supposed difference is a brighter screen, and a core 2 duo processor as opposed to a core duo. Of course, I'd recommend the D430.

If you're not afraid of thinkpads or the 4:3 aspect ration screen, I'd recommend the Lenovo X61s. I've had all three computers and the X61s is a nice computer for a great price.

Good luck

Notebook Deity

Quote Originally Posted by nizzy1115 View Post
    the d430 has the new chipset.
    No it doesn't.

Notebook Consultant

I've received my D430 this week, it's awesome. Supersmall formfactor and really fast. both design and material finishes are superb.
    [CENTER]Dell XPS13 (L332x) i7 256 1080p
    [

Notebook Evangelist

Whatever you do, do NOT buy a refurbished D420. See my thread, "Un-Reaking-Real, Dell", in the customer service issues subforum.

Banned

The chipset and screen are the only diffrence

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by Sirius_GTO View Post
    the only supposed difference is a brighter screen, and a core 2 duo processor as opposed to a core duo. Of course, I'd recommend the D430.

If you're not afraid of thinkpads or the 4:3 aspect ration screen, I'd recommend the Lenovo X61s. I've had all three computers and the X61s is a nice computer for a great price.

Good luck
    Hell no, I use a Latitude D610 as my main computer so a non-widescreen laptop is definitely not a problem. What I would like to ask, though, is what is the disadvantage of the Lenovo X61 compared to the latitude D420? I've noticed that the thinkpad runs at a far higher clock speed (1.6Ghz), yet it is still only 0.3 pounds heavier with an 8-cell battery and is actually lighter than the D420 with a 9-cell battery. It seems to me that there must be something i'm not noticing, considering the sizable performance gap.

Quote Originally Posted by gridtalker View Post
    The chipset and screen are the only diffrence
    So, in other words, it's not something to get annoyed about because I missed out on it?

Notebook Deity

Quote Originally Posted by The General View Post
    Hell no, I use a Latitude D610 as my main computer so a non-widescreen laptop is definitely not a problem. What I would like to ask, though, is what is the disadvantage of the Lenovo X61 compared to the latitude D420? I've noticed that the thinkpad runs at a far higher clock speed (1.6Ghz), yet it is still only 0.3 pounds heavier with an 8-cell battery and is actually lighter than the D420 with a 9-cell battery. It seems to me that there must be something i'm not noticing, considering the sizable performance gap.

So, in other words, it's not something to get annoyed about because I missed out on it?
    The X61s is quite a bit faster than the D430, and the X61 is a lot faster. But if small form factor and a bright screen is what you desire, go with the X61s. You must remember, the D430 uses a Core 2 Duo ULTRA low voltage @ 1.2 while the X61s uses a low (not an ultra low) voltage processor @ 1.6

The X61s is lighter than my D420. Build quality leans more to Dell.

Keep in mind the X61s does not have a touchpad.

Dell service and warranty is SUPERB compared with Lenovo. The D430 comes with 3 years warranty standard. Lenovo only offers one. And their customer reps are incredibly unprofessional.

Remember, the D420 uses older core duo tech, so don't even consider it.

Only consider the D430 or X61s.

edit: also, with the 4 cell, the X61s is lighter. With the 8 Cell, it's still lighter. Mine has the 8 cell and it's only 3.3 pounds. You have to remember though, the X61 is heavier than the X61s.

Sorry all my thoughts are unorganized. It's just random thoughts pouring out.
    Last edited by Sirius_GTO; 9th October 2007 at 04:29 PM.

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by Sirius_GTO View Post
    The X61s is quite a bit faster than the D430, and the X61 is a lot faster. But if small form factor and a bright screen is what you desire, go with the X61s. You must remember, the D430 uses a Core 2 Duo ULTRA low voltage @ 1.2 while the X61s uses a low (not an ultra low) voltage processor @ 1.6
    Small form factor and light weight are the top priorities. I would still like to know how Lenovo can compete on portability when they such higher spec chips?

The X61s is lighter than my D420. Build quality leans more to Dell.
    I expected so, Latitudes have superb build quality.

Keep in mind the X61s does not have a touchpad.
    Ah, that sort of sways it for me. I don't think I could stand using a pointer all the time.

Dell service and warranty is SUPERB compared with Lenovo. The D430 comes with 3 years warranty standard.
    I'm not suprised. I've always found the latitudes far superior in build-quality to other laptops.

Remember, the D420 uses older core duo tech, so don't even consider it.
    I was actually under the impression that the D420 used core 2 duo. If it's core duo then that would explain why it performs so poorly.

edit: also, with the 4 cell, the X61s is lighter. With the 8 Cell, it's still lighter. Mine has the 8 cell and it's only 3.3 pounds. You have to remember though, the X61 is heavier than the X61s.
    The 8 cell X61s is heavier than the 4 cell D430 but it's lighter than the 9 cell D430

Sorry all my thoughts are unorganized. It's just random thoughts pouring out.
    No problem, i'm glad for any advice given. This has been confusing me for a while.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast