Quantcast Dell Studio 1557 - Page 17

+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 197 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920212767117 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 1963
  1. #161
    Notebook Consultant
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    151
    Rep Power
    12

    Gb Re: Dell Studio 1557

    Ha ha. I think I could quite possibly have gone for a T9600 or T9900 CPU for the RAW & video processing I do.... but then the i7 QMs declared themselves, and, knowing a bit about the dynamic performance of i7s, I thought I may as well future-proof myself somewhat; it's not as if the i7 QMs are that much more expensive than later C2Ds...

    So what was it that put you off the Envy???

  2. #162
    Get'cha head in the game
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Swindon, England
    Posts
    2,369
    Rep Power
    22

    Default Re: Dell Studio 1557

    The keyboard and trackpad mostly. All the keys are the same size and the keyboard layout is rather different than standard - i.e. where the \ key is etc, and function keys in the wrong place for my liking. Meh, not like I really need a new notebook - but I just wanted a new one. If I don't buy some form of computer every 6 months or so I start to feel jittery
    Fragilexx
    Laptop: Inspiron 1545 P8600 2.4GHz 4GB Ram HD 4330
    Desktop: AMD Phenom II x6 1090T BE, Silverstone FT02, 2x HiS 5850 1GB, MSI 890FXA-GD70 890FX, 8GB OCZ Reaper DDR3, Crucial C300 64GB SSD, WD Black 1TB SATA III

  3. #163
    Notebook Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    24
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: Dell Studio 1557

    My 1557 comes with Vista Home Premium. Will Dell send me a 7 Home Premium 32 or a 64 bits version?

    I guess 64 bits are a must-have for Core i7, right?

    I think I will install Professional 64 bits, the only thing is Ultimate includes "compatibility with Windows XP programas" according to Dell and Professional doesn't, sounds weird. Is it really like that??

  4. #164
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    7
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: Dell Studio 1557

    Quote Originally Posted by ignitione View Post
    My 1557 comes with Vista Home Premium. Will Dell send me a 7 Home Premium 32 or a 64 bits version?

    I guess 64 bits are a must-have for Core i7, right?

    I think I will install Professional 64 bits, the only thing is Ultimate includes "compatibility with Windows XP programas" according to Dell and Professional doesn't, sounds weird. Is it really like that??
    I think DELL is giving 64-bit with DELL Studio 1557 You can check the property of the system by right clicking the My Computer and Selecting Properties from the popup menu.

  5. #165
    Notebook Geek
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    96
    Rep Power
    12

    Default Re: Dell Studio 1557

    Yea mine is coming from the factory with - Windows 7 Home Premium, 64bit

  6. #166
    Notebook Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    24
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: Dell Studio 1557

    Thanks psathishcs. I receive it on monday that's why I asked, I still don't have it.

    As for Windows 7 Home Premium features, it doesn't bring the "compatibility with XP programs". Is that feature available as an update (I guess it is the XP mode)? Or do you need to install Windows 7 Professional to have it?

  7. #167
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    5
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: Dell Studio 1557

    I got my 1557 a few days ago - standard build/1080p/4G Ram.

    I don't like Vista, and so my initial feelings of slower and disappointing are tempered by that. On installing a few of my standard apps, like CS4 it seems to be running slightly quicker than my current machine - M1530/2Gig Ram/5400 hd/t7700.

    I haven't any software to do comparisons, other than using wPrime v1.58. The M1530 T7700 ran the 32M in 42.109secs (showing 2 threads). The 1557 ran the 32M in 15.773secs in winxp sp3 compatability mode (showing 8 threads). I rand the 1024 test and on the 1557 it ran in 502secs - I ran out of patience on the M1530 as it was at 45% in roughly that time. Also running Xilisoft Video converter to convert an AVI to DVD the conversion of the same avi took just under half the time.

    I don't play games so can't help there I'm afraid.

    Subjective comments - the laptop doesn't feel as substantial as the M1530, particularly the base around the vents. It doesn't feel cheap - just not as substantial. Keyboard feels nice (I got the illuminated one) and there is good feedback with no missed depressions. The trackpad and keys feel quite good, with no movement when typing. The optical drive DVDRW not bluray is noisy but not as noisy as the M1530 or M2010 I have. The screen is nice and clear with no fall out if two are looking on - slight fallout for the two bookends if three. I'm glad to see the continuing trend of two headphone sockets, but annoyed at the lack of indicator lights. I find them useful. One thing I have found is that the laptop runs hotter than my M1530 and its a bit like a car. If you switch off the laptop while it's still warm, the fan continues and it won't switch off until cool. A good feature but maybe indicative of possible heat dissipation issues. Saying that - I don't know if any of you had/have a D600 with the hard drive and hand cooking issues - it doesn't seem to get THAT hot! I'm reserving judgement until I get Win7 on - or get the drivers so I can put XP on. It seems to be an evolution rather than revolution but I'm quietly optimistic.

  8. #168
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    7
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: Dell Studio 1557

    Quote Originally Posted by ignitione View Post
    Thanks psathishcs. I receive it on monday that's why I asked, I still don't have it.

    As for Windows 7 Home Premium features, it doesn't bring the "compatibility with XP programs". Is that feature available as an update (I guess it is the XP mode)? Or do you need to install Windows 7 Professional to have it?
    I dont think that Windows 7 Home Premium as XP Mode it is available only in Windows 7 Professional and Windows 7 Ultimate. But some Windows XP program do run well in Windows 7.

  9. #169
    Get'cha head in the game
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Swindon, England
    Posts
    2,369
    Rep Power
    22

    Default Re: Dell Studio 1557

    That is correct, XP Mode is only available in Windows 7 Professional and upwards. It's not actually included with the operating system, you need to download additional software (that is free); but this software does not run under Windows 7 Home Premium.
    Fragilexx
    Laptop: Inspiron 1545 P8600 2.4GHz 4GB Ram HD 4330
    Desktop: AMD Phenom II x6 1090T BE, Silverstone FT02, 2x HiS 5850 1GB, MSI 890FXA-GD70 890FX, 8GB OCZ Reaper DDR3, Crucial C300 64GB SSD, WD Black 1TB SATA III

  10. #170
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    7
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: Dell Studio 1557

    Quote Originally Posted by SadFatMan View Post
    I got my 1557 a few days ago - standard build/1080p/4G Ram.

    I don't like Vista, and so my initial feelings of slower and disappointing are tempered by that. On installing a few of my standard apps, like CS4 it seems to be running slightly quicker than my current machine - M1530/2Gig Ram/5400 hd/t7700.

    I haven't any software to do comparisons, other than using wPrime v1.58. The M1530 T7700 ran the 32M in 42.109secs (showing 2 threads). The 1557 ran the 32M in 15.773secs in winxp sp3 compatability mode (showing 8 threads). I rand the 1024 test and on the 1557 it ran in 502secs - I ran out of patience on the M1530 as it was at 45% in roughly that time. Also running Xilisoft Video converter to convert an AVI to DVD the conversion of the same avi took just under half the time.

    I don't play games so can't help there I'm afraid.

    Subjective comments - the laptop doesn't feel as substantial as the M1530, particularly the base around the vents. It doesn't feel cheap - just not as substantial. Keyboard feels nice (I got the illuminated one) and there is good feedback with no missed depressions. The trackpad and keys feel quite good, with no movement when typing. The optical drive DVDRW not bluray is noisy but not as noisy as the M1530 or M2010 I have. The screen is nice and clear with no fall out if two are looking on - slight fallout for the two bookends if three. I'm glad to see the continuing trend of two headphone sockets, but annoyed at the lack of indicator lights. I find them useful. One thing I have found is that the laptop runs hotter than my M1530 and its a bit like a car. If you switch off the laptop while it's still warm, the fan continues and it won't switch off until cool. A good feature but maybe indicative of possible heat dissipation issues. Saying that - I don't know if any of you had/have a D600 with the hard drive and hand cooking issues - it doesn't seem to get THAT hot! I'm reserving judgement until I get Win7 on - or get the drivers so I can put XP on. It seems to be an evolution rather than revolution but I'm quietly optimistic.
    Hi SadFatMan, Could u pls tell more detail on the Laptop getting hotter
    if the laptop run hotter in the normal use then it would be difficult to overclock the system using Turbo Boost.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:22 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1