Quantcast DELL Inspiron 1525 screen becomes very dim on power ON

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default DELL Inspiron 1525 screen becomes very dim on power ON

Hi,

I bought a DELL Inspiron 1525 model last year in March. Everything was perfect till yesterday when all of a sudden, when I put the power plug and switch it ON, the laptop screen becomes dark. If I look carefully, I can see the Icons on the screen (which is very dim) suggesting the laptop is working properly. Another thing is that when the power plug is switched OFF, I can bring back the screen to its normal functioning. I tried changing the brightness through BIOS settings, but it didn't help. I tried changing the adapter also but of no help. Is the problem at the level of software as in do I need to change some settings say change the video driver? Or is it at the level of hardware wherein I need to give it to a technician for solution? Please suggest.

Notebook Deity

Default Re: DELL Inspiron 1525 screen becomes very dim on power ON

Is the screen also dim on the BIOS screen if you boot with the adapter connected?

If so, there is some problem with the connector on the motherboard.
    Center of the Digital Universe - XPS 15 R2
    Core i7 2630QM, 4Gb RAM, 500Gb 7200RPM HDD, 1920x1080 B+RG LED, GeForce 540M, Silver and 3G, Windows 7 HP 64Bit
    The Ph.D. Machine - Acer 1810T
    SU7300, 4Gb RAM, 500Gb 5400RPM HDD, 1366x768 Glossy, X4500MHD, Black and 3G, Windows 7 HP 64Bit, What else...

Previous: Latitude d610, Inspiron 1520

can i haz haswell?

How dim is very dim? Is it dimmer than the lowest brightness setting on your display? You might have a dying inverter or back light if everything else is working properly...
    n o n s e n s e - w a r s . c o m

Intel NUC DC5327HYE Akasa Newton V/i5-3427U/8GB/HD 4000/830 128GB/7 Pro
    ThinkPad Yoga i5-4300U/4GB/HD 4400/FHD/Digitizer/Pro 1500 180GB/8.1 Pro

D830 Review/CPU Compatibility/GPU Reflow

I'm having the same problem with a Dell Inspiron 1520. I thought it might be a bad screen inverter, but now I don't think so. Like the original writer, the screen only goes dim while plugged into the AC/DC power adapter. It does not happen when only on battery power. If I plug in, the screen goes very dim, then I can unplug, close laptop lid, open it and the screen will be fine.

Any ideas on what causes this? Has anyone successfully repaired this problem?

thanks,

Matthew

Get'cha head in the game

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeComputer View Post
    I'm having the same problem with a Dell Inspiron 1520. I thought it might be a bad screen inverter, but now I don't think so. Like the original writer, the screen only goes dim while plugged into the AC/DC power adapter. It does not happen when only on battery power. If I plug in, the screen goes very dim, then I can unplug, close laptop lid, open it and the screen will be fine.

Any ideas on what causes this? Has anyone successfully repaired this problem?

thanks,

Matthew
    I know you've probably done this, but have you checked the power plan settings, specifically the screen brightness under A/C vs battery.

Like I said, I know you've probably done this, but no harm in asking...
    Fragilexx
    Laptop: Inspiron 1545 P8600 2.4GHz 4GB Ram HD 4330
    Desktop: AMD Phenom II x6 1090T BE, Silverstone FT02, 2x HiS 5850 1GB, MSI 890FXA-GD70 890FX, 8GB OCZ Reaper DDR3, Crucial C300 64GB SSD, WD Black 1TB SATA III

wat

Try booting into the BIOS. Under "Display", there should be options for brightness. Make sure that both the "Brightness" and "Brightness (AC)" levels are at their highest.
    Machine:
    [ i5-2500k @ 4.0GHz | MSI P67A-G43 | Cooler Master V8 | Corsair TX750 V2 750W | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 1600MHz | Antec Nine Hundred Two V3 | ASUS GTX 580 DirectCU II triple-slot 1536MB | 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 ]
    Periphs:
    [ Hannspree SL231 23-inch 1920x1080 LED | Razer Mamba + Goliathus Alpha extra-large Speed Edition | Razer Blackwidow Ultimate (Cherry MX Blue) | Belkin n52te | Razer Carcharias ]

Hi folks,

I found a fix for this problem. It is very simple. All you have to do to boot to BIOS and load default-save and exit..Do this when laptop is running on battery. Once booted to windows connect power code and see the difference. This worked on my XPS-M1330.Hopefully, it should work on any dell.. Please let me know.. Thanks

Notebook Enthusiast

My new screen is not black-dark - but significantly dimmer than my original (cracked) screen. The backlight/inverter are fine. But the fn+arrow and/or any other attempts to adjust the brightness fail. It's all wiggy, 1 is dim, 2 lighter, 3 dimmer, 4 light again(but same as 2 only), 5 dim, 6 dim, 7 light, 8 dim...

I tried your solution laptopwiz it did nothing for my (1525) dark screen

Quote Originally Posted by winterbagel View Post
    My new screen is not black-dark - but significantly dimmer than my original (cracked) screen. The backlight/inverter are fine. But the fn+arrow and/or any other attempts to adjust the brightness fail. It's all wiggy, 1 is dim, 2 lighter, 3 dimmer, 4 light again(but same as 2 only), 5 dim, 6 dim, 7 light, 8 dim...

I tried your solution laptopwiz it did nothing for my (1525) dark screen

I had the EXACT same problem on 2 laptops at my job. (note, the screen has been replaced in both of them. I assumed that was why it was like that.)

I found that the LCD and the BIOS are synced via serial number. You need to re-flash the bios to re sync the two. This should help.

Quote Originally Posted by tcg_repair View Post
    I had the EXACT same problem on 2 laptops at my job. (note, the screen has been replaced in both of them. I assumed that was why it was like that.)

I found that the LCD and the BIOS are synced via serial number. You need to re-flash the bios to re sync the two. This should help.

Could you please elaborate a bit on this - Is it something that only an Engineer should do or something that we can attempt at home.

I am facing the exact same wiggly issue on my screen as 'winterbagel' mentioned.

I switched to Vista from XP, had my screen replaced and am facing the wiggly issue.

It would help a lot if you could elaborate your suggestion...

thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast