Quantcast Spilled soda on my laptop, any hope?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1
    Notebook Consultant
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    264
    Rep Power
    21

    Default Spilled soda on my laptop, any hope?

    I knocked some soda onto my computer while doing homework, it was on the top right hand corner of the keyboard. Its an e1505 from a litte over 2&1/2 years ago (warranty is out). I let it dry under a fan for an hour, then left it another hour. It worked fine, but 1 speaker didn't work. I turned it off, but I tried to turn it back on to print something about an hour later and it wouldn't turn on. It said "no bootable device". It would run a dell diagnostic though. Does that mean my hard drive went out?

    I spilled water once before(under warrenty though), and only 1 key stopped working.
    e4300/4GB RAM/2.4? C2D/7.2K 80GB HDD/6 cell/backlit keys/IGP

  2. #2
    Ahlball
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    7,569
    Rep Power
    51

    Default Re: Spilled soda on my laptop, any hope?

    Yeah, it sound like the soda might have gotten to the Harddrive or maybe a part of the mobo.

    Try the Ubuntu LIve CD. Boot from it, and see if you can see your files on the HDD.


    ...Nothing you can do about the Speaker except for replacing them.

    Extended Signature
    "If hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" ~ Nikola Tesla

  3. #3
    Notebook Deity
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,571
    Rep Power
    26

    Default Re: Spilled soda on my laptop, any hope?

    Quote Originally Posted by snowbrdkid View Post
    I knocked some soda onto my computer while doing homework, it was on the top right hand corner of the keyboard. Its an e1505 from a litte over 2&1/2 years ago (warranty is out). I let it dry under a fan for an hour, then left it another hour. It worked fine, but 1 speaker didn't work. I turned it off, but I tried to turn it back on to print something about an hour later and it wouldn't turn on. It said "no bootable device". It would run a dell diagnostic though. Does that mean my hard drive went out?

    I spilled water once before(under warrenty though), and only 1 key stopped working.
    try putting the hdd into an enclosure and try to access it from another computer
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man." - George Bernard Shaw

  4. #4
    Notebook Deity
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria
    Posts
    795
    Rep Power
    27

    Default Re: Spilled soda on my laptop, any hope?

    soda is much worse than water. with water there is no residue, so only thing to do is wait for evaporation. one hour is hardly sufficient. i left a spilt-pc (wine) for a week once (with all possible things like ram/battery/ etc removed, and pc propped up to encourage drying/air flow) and miraculously it recovered itself- through thoroughly drying out. but if there is too much residue (sugar, etc) left that will not go away - ever. good luck!
    T520, FHD, i7-2630QM, Nvidia Quadro NVS4200M with Optimus, 8GB ram, Intel X25-M 160GB SSD, Win7/64.

    W500, WUXGA, T9400, ATI Mobility FireGL V5700 with switchable graphics, 4GB ram, OCZ Summit 120GB SSD, Win7/32.

  5. #5
    Extreme Overclocker
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,437
    Rep Power
    19

    Default Re: Spilled soda on my laptop, any hope?

    Try reseating the hard drive, unplugging it and plugging it back in, see if that helps..

  6. #6
    Notebook Consultant
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    264
    Rep Power
    21

    Default Re: Spilled soda on my laptop, any hope?

    Quote Originally Posted by ahl395 View Post
    Yeah, it sound like the soda might have gotten to the Harddrive or maybe a part of the mobo.

    Try the Ubuntu LIve CD. Boot from it, and see if you can see your files on the HDD.


    ...Nothing you can do about the Speaker except for replacing them.
    Will do, thanks for the advice. I was hoping there was a way to try to boot it w/o windows. I don't really care about the speakers. So, if I can see my HDD, then its probably not my HDD?
    Quote Originally Posted by hehe299792458 View Post
    try putting the hdd into an enclosure and try to access it from another computer
    that was my first thought, and will be my second plan after trying the ubuntu live CD

    Quote Originally Posted by antskip View Post
    soda is much worse than water. with water there is no residue, so only thing to do is wait for evaporation. one hour is hardly sufficient. i left a spilt-pc (wine) for a week once (with all possible things like ram/battery/ etc removed, and pc propped up to encourage drying/air flow) and miraculously it recovered itself- through thoroughly drying out. but if there is too much residue (sugar, etc) left that will not go away - ever. good luck!
    Ya, i realized that after I already turned it on. I had some stuff to print for school...I didnt really have ample time to wait

    Quote Originally Posted by nacr05 View Post
    Try reseating the hard drive, unplugging it and plugging it back in, see if that helps..
    Will try this as well, thanks! My major problem right now is that I don't have tools with me...but it would be worth buying some
    e4300/4GB RAM/2.4? C2D/7.2K 80GB HDD/6 cell/backlit keys/IGP

  7. #7
    Notebook Evangelist
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    533
    Rep Power
    20

    Default Re: Spilled soda on my laptop, any hope?

    Well, worse comes to worse dip it in 99.9% alcohol and let that dry out.

    Dell Studio XPS 13
    13.3" 1280x800 LED, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo P8600. 4GB DDR3, 320 GB 7200 RPM HDD, nVidia 9500M GE

    EEE PC 901 Black
    8.9" 1024x600 LCD, 1.6 GHz Intel Atom N270, 1GB DDR 2, 20GB SSD

  8. #8
    Notebook Evangelist
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Launceston, Tasmania, Australia
    Posts
    497
    Rep Power
    16

    Default Re: Spilled soda on my laptop, any hope?

    Quote Originally Posted by xScorp1on View Post
    Well, worse comes to worse dip it in 99.9% alcohol and let that dry out.
    I dunno about dipping lol, but yes, surgical/methylated spirits are your best bet for getting rid of the nasty sticky bits (especially when it comes to cleaning under the keyboard contacts).

    For future reference, you don't want soda to evaporate, because it's easier to wipe off wet. Disassemble, clean with dry paper towel, then with cutips and/or paper towel lightly dampened with surgical spirits/metho. (NOT THE SAME AS WHITE SPIRITS ETC ETC, YOU WANT ~100% ETHANOL/METHANOL)

    work gtg
    ACER Aspire 5950G
    Core I7 2.0-2.9GHz
    Radeon HD 6850M (Bring on the clocks)
    8GB RAM

    [SIZE="1"]ASUS M50SV-A1 (Retired)
    GeForce 9500M GS 475/950/400 OC'd to 680/1300/500
    5124 3DMarks on 1280x854

    Quote Originally Posted by htwingnut View Post
    Oh those silly goofs. Such a nice boy is that google. You should marry him some day.

  9. #9
    Notebook Consultant
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    264
    Rep Power
    21

    Default Re: Spilled soda on my laptop, any hope?

    Quote Originally Posted by nacr05 View Post
    Try reseating the hard drive, unplugging it and plugging it back in, see if that helps..
    That turned out to be the fix, I'm posting (backing everything up) from it now. THanks!
    e4300/4GB RAM/2.4? C2D/7.2K 80GB HDD/6 cell/backlit keys/IGP

  10. #10
    Ahlball
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    7,569
    Rep Power
    51

    Default Re: Spilled soda on my laptop, any hope?

    Quote Originally Posted by snowbrdkid View Post
    That turned out to be the fix, I'm posting (backing everything up) from it now. THanks!
    Good.

    Glad to hear its all working again.

    Extended Signature
    "If hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" ~ Nikola Tesla

 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:52 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1