Quantcast Official Inspiron 1545 Owners Thread - Page 10

View Poll Results: What do you think of your Inspiron 1545?

Voters
105. You may not vote on this poll
  • Love it - for the price it does everything I need and more

45 42.86%
  • Like it - it's suitable enough

35 33.33%
  • Dislike it - unlike ronseal, it doesn't do what it says on the can

6 5.71%
  • Hate it - so much that I have got rid or am trying to

6 5.71%
  • Don't really have an opinion on it

13 12.38%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 52 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
    Get'cha head in the game

Default Re: Official Inspiron 1545 Owners Thread

Given those answers I'd probably say go with the Studio. The 9 cell battery should give you good battery life; not sure if it will be 3hours +, but the 6 cell on the Inspiron 1545 gives about 2.5 hours if lucky (normally closer to 2 hours).

Plus, it has better connectivity (eSATA/USB port, 2 other USB ports, HDMI, Firewire, VGA, RJ45) in comparison to the Inspiron which has 3xUSB, VGA & RJ45 only.

The WLED Screen on the Inspiron is great; I imagine they use the same on both so would highly recommend that. The processor is not as great; but for what you plan to use it for it will be enough. I'd still recommend trying to get the p8600 on the studio 15 and try to haggle haggle haggle.
    Fragilexx
    Laptop: Inspiron 1545 P8600 2.4GHz 4GB Ram HD 4330
    Desktop: AMD Phenom II x6 1090T BE, Silverstone FT02, 2x HiS 5850 1GB, MSI 890FXA-GD70 890FX, 8GB OCZ Reaper DDR3, Crucial C300 64GB SSD, WD Black 1TB SATA III

Notebook Enthusiast

Hey thanks...will talk to the dell guy on the phone tomorrow and then decide

Notebook Enthusiast

I've found something I'm not too fond of. I installed I8kfanGUI to monitor my temps and fan speeds and found the thermal cycle a bit odd. The CPU temp starts around 35*C with the fan off. The fan remains off until the CPU temp hits about 49*C and it then comes on, and remains on until the temp reaches 35*C and shuts down. I wouldn't think this constant cycle of heating up and cooling down would be too great on the CPU, since the temperature range is so much. I'd rather have the fan speed running at a low speed all the time than have it shut off.

I've had some sort of keyboard glitch too, but I don't think its one everyone is posting about. Sometimes when I am typing, I hit a key once and it types the character 2-3 times. It hasn't happened very often, but it has nonetheless.

Overall I like this machine a lot, with the exception of the ports. I'd prefer the ports on either the rear or right side, when most are on the left. I can see how this makes sense, but in my case it isn't the greatest. Also, an eSATA port would be nice, but hey, I can't complain for the price. I just need to test out some games to see how the GPU runs.

For those concerned about the LED backlit screen, my screen without the LEDs seems plenty bright. I actually have it at 3/4 brightness right now because it seems too bright at the highest setting. I still haven't seen an LED backlit screen in person, so I can't comment on a comparison between the two.

I'd still like to know the difference with the 65 and 90w adapters. Guess I should email Dell.

Get'cha head in the game

I must be fortunate then; I have had no problems with my machine and I've seriously put it through it's paces.

The LED screen does make a difference. I've been able to compare the two; because my friend did not spend the extra 10 or whatever to get the upgrade. The real differences are:

1. The colours look more true to life on the LED. It's not by much, but certainly the blacks appear darker and the whites appear whiter.
    2. The display is thinner and apparently slightly lighter. I myself did not actually notice this; but apparently it is the case.
    3. Over time, you may notice your screen takes longer to "warm up" or loses some of it's brightness. With an LED screen this will not happen per se. The technology behind the CCFL screen means the display will worsen with age. Not massively, but say after 2-3 years you would notice the difference if you compared it to a brand new one of the same model. An LED however gives off the same amount of light throughout it's life; until eventually it just dies.
    4. Theoretically the LED screen consumes less power. There is truth in this statement, but it depends on how many LEDs have been used in the backlight as to whether this will actually be the case.

I would agree about the lack of ports, it is a little disappointing. But so far that and the finger print magnet palm rest are my only upsets. You can easily get around the lack of ports by adding an expresscard with eSATA. Although unsightly, it should solve the issue. Unfortunately there is no easy fix for the HDMI port being missing; but holy cow, how often would I actually use that anyway.

And finally, yes the fan is slightly annoying in that it doesn't come on often, but when it does it sounds like a vacuum cleaner. However, my old laptop used to overheat like crazy, so I have a notepal infinite both at home and at the office, and find that helps the fan not come on as much; although it does add it's own little hum which despite what some people say, is noticeable (well certainly on the middle setting which is the best at preventing the internal fan coming on).
    Fragilexx
    Desktop: AMD Phenom II x6 1090T BE, Silverstone FT02, 2x HiS 5850 1GB, MSI 890FXA-GD70 890FX, 8GB OCZ Reaper DDR3, Crucial C300 64GB SSD, WD Black 1TB SATA III

Notebook Consultant

im liking my dell very much. i wanna see the led screen now, i dont know if ist me or the laptop but i find the vertical vewing angle a little small mayb is cuz the gloss, idk, but im not liking the bigthness it seem like they put a lamp on the bottom so is uneven if i look from up i just see white. i think they should put a mate screen and palmrest cuz the smudges are driving me crazy even using an xternal mouse i need to clean this sh** alot.

today i sat in front of my crt monitor and i looked wonderfull compare to this ultra birgthscreen.

i wanna know if any of the ccfl screen userae having the ultra uneven brigthness. cuz i think afther i installed some sh** from dell after the fresh install make the screen like that ( even when i first used it before reformating). ii wanna see if a bios update could solved this!!!

the temp today on hd and cpu dindt pass 45!!!! on highperformance, and the 4cell batterie can last like 105 min on dell recomended settings. even more on power saver + undervolting
    Dell Inspiron 1545
    "Pacific Blue"
    |C2D T6400, 2.0GHz, 800Mhz, 2MB | 3GB, DDR2, 800MHz| 320GB 5400RPM HD | 4500MHD | W7 HOME PREMIUM x64 OEM|

Notebook Enthusiast

I've decided to go for the Studio 1555 with T6400...thanks fragilexx for all the help
    If anyone has any queries about this model i'll be glad to help out!

PS - Sorry for butting into the Inspiron 1545 thread but this is where I got all the answers! Thanks again

Notebook Enthusiast

Will the 9 cell battery from an Inspiron 1525 work with the 1545?

How can you tell if the lcd is led backlit or not?

Thanks

Get'cha head in the game

sachinsharma; glad I could be of assistance. Hope your laptop arrives soon and provides you many years of service!

Dade0h0; not sure about the 9 cell inspiron 1525 working with 1545; might do. I don't have an inspiron 1525 to test it out, and although I can find the battery for the Inspiron 1525 on the Dell.co.uk website, I am unable to locate the same product for the 1545. However, looking at the part numbers for the Inspiron 1525 6 cell battery on the website, and the part number on my invoice, they are not the same.

Best bet would be chat to a Dell rep; but then they are probably going to say no to force you to buy a new one.

With regards to how to tell the difference between the two, don't think it says anywhere in system config or anything to be honest, so the only way you'll know if by looking at your invoice (if bought from Dell), or perhaps on the box it came in if from another supplier - eg PC World, Tesco, etc.
    Fragilexx

I just got my 1545 and am quite happy. As im not too much into gaming but more into things like photoshop, flash, dreamweaver etc its doing a good job with 3 gb ram. The speed is good too.

But i have a big problem. There is too much bundled along with windows something like 20 additional trial software etc. and i want to clean it up and repartition the hard drive. The partitions right now are 240 in the main and 10 in the recovery.

But the partitions i want out of the 240 gb currently the os drive are like

Windows - 30 gb
    Backup - 10 gb
    Media - 200 gb

But when i want to shrink the volume through the windows disk management tool it gives the new allocated space as only 10 gb!

And anyway i have to reformat and install windows again to get rid of the excessive bundled software can anybody help me in finding a way to repartition my hard drives as above? somebody told me to boot n do fdisk.exe but i do not know how that works.

Help would be appreciated!
    Last edited by kruelintensionz; 11th May 2009 at 02:32 PM.

Get'cha head in the game

If you boot straight into your installation media (by pressing F12 at the Dell screen then selecting CD/DVD drive) one of the very first prompts should be in relation to which partition you wish to install Windows onto. There will be an advanced button - push that and you can delete both partitions and re-create a new one that is the entire size of your HDD. This is assuming you have a full recovery disc rather than something that points to the recovery data on the 10GB partition.

I would highly recommend keeping your drive partitioned in some way though. The reason being is that you can install your OS on one partition and then save documents etc onto another. If you ever need to reinstall Windows again, you can do so without destroying all of your saved documents.
    Fragilexx

Page 10 of 52 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast