Quantcast dell outlet purchase, scratch n dent a refurb?

Closed Thread
    Notebook Geek

Default dell outlet purchase, scratch n dent a refurb?

So I purchased a "scratch n dent" mini 9 from the dell outlet. It arrived today. When I looked at the bottom it had a refurbished sticker on the bottom. I know on the outlet they have ordered previously new, refurbished, and scratch n dent.

Do all the scratch n dent computers come with this sticker? I figure the refurb would but didn't think the scratch n dent would as it's only a used computer..

Notebook Evangelist

Default Re: dell outlet purchase, scratch n dent a refurb?

Scratch and Dent is a subcategory of Refurbished.

All computers (or parts) that have been used by someone before and later returned to Dell must be labeled "refurbished."

I have a "refurbished" sticker on the bottom of my Studio 15 because it was a replacement. It is their policy to send a refurbished system for system replacements so I guess the sticker is supposed to be there.
    ApertureDevice1: Custom Desktop OS: Windows 7 Ult x64
    3.2GHz Phenom II X4 BE, 6GB RAM, 160GB X25-MG2, 1TB 7200RPM, 750GB 5400RPM, HD5850, BD-RE, 1080p SyncMaster
    Work Laptop: ThinkPad T420 OS: Windows 7 Pro x64
    2.6GHz Core i5, 8GB RAM, 2x 500GB 7200RPM, NVS4200M + HD3000

Notebook Geek

Quote Originally Posted by KingRaptor View Post
    Scratch and Dent is a subcategory of Refurbished.

All computers (or parts) that have been used by someone before and later returned to Dell must be labeled "refurbished."

I have a "refurbished" sticker on the bottom of my Studio 15 because it was a replacement. It is their policy to send a refurbished system for system replacements so I guess the sticker is supposed to be there.
    Thanks for the reply.
    Well, I understand that they would send out a refurb on a replacement but I think its just odd to have that sticker when for all i know this was just a previously used system that was returned. If they replaced parts on it , then yea , I can see them puting the refurb sticker on it... but if they did add something or changed something, its no longer Scrach n Dent, its a Refurb.

Im keeping the latop either way, but just wanted to know what the deal was.

Lou

Banned

nope, my experience is: refurbs come with a green sticker on the bottom, scratech & dents come with a red sticker--scratched & dent.

Notebook Virtuoso

My system was a scratch and dent and came with a refurbished "green" sticker on the bottom.
    Laptop/TabletPC : Dell Latitude D630/Venue 8 pro
    Phones: *lots of Windows Mobile phones* | Nexus 5

PortableDigest.com mobile reviewer - writer
    "It's like the Ross of app stores" ~Storyoho on BlackBerry App World

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by pdxlou View Post
    Thanks for the reply.
    Well, I understand that they would send out a refurb on a replacement but I think its just odd to have that sticker when for all i know this was just a previously used system that was returned. If they replaced parts on it , then yea , I can see them puting the refurb sticker on it... but if they did add something or changed something, its no longer Scrach n Dent, its a Refurb.

Im keeping the latop either way, but just wanted to know what the deal was.

Lou

Everything from the Dell Outlet ships with a 'refurbished' sticker on it. Whether its previously ordered new, refurbished, or scratch and dent. The sticker peels off easily, I've removed all of mine. If it leaves residue just put some rubbing alcohol on a paper towel and wipe it off.

Some people are real concerned over what the laptop they buy is categorized in, but I've never had problems from the Dell Outlet, and even their scratch & dent computers (which seem to always have more of a discount), I've never found a major blemish on a scratch & dent, often just sticky residue or maybe a MINOR mark in the bottom, never anything remotely serious.
    M11x | i7 | 8GB | 500GB 7200RPM

Studio XPS 1640 | P8600 2.4 | DVDRW | 500GB 7200rpm | 4GB DDR3 | 1GB 4670M | Windows 7 x64

Notebook Enthusiast

It actually should say on the white sticker on the front of the Dell box it came in, as well as your invoice.
    There doesn't seem to be much difference between S&D & Cert. Refurb.
    "Previously New" on the other hand usually look pristine but also cost about 10% more than other refurbs.
    Dell has had many different colored stickers for Refurbs over the years...just remove it & enjoy the money you saved.

Studio 1537 | Ruby Red
    T3200 (2.00GHz) | 2 GB DDR2 (1 Dimms)
    15.4 WXGA LED | 250GB HD | 9 Cell
    All for $356.15 from Dell Outlet
    Added/Upgrades:
    Core 2 Duo T8600(2.4Ghz) | 1440x900 WXGA+ LED
    Backlit Keyboard(from eBay) | 1510 Draft N
    2 GB DDR2 (1 Dimm) | Lenovo VeriFace Facial Recognition
    Internal Blu-ray | Bluetooth

Notebook Consultant

I've ordered a refurb and a scratch+dent, both had the same green sticker on 'em.

EDIT:
    The refurb appeared perfectly new, and the scratch+dent (which is listed as a feature costing one cent, lol) is how i expected the refurb, it was used but only had a couple wear points on the bottom, very clean.
    Alienware Area-51 M7700(The Mistress): P4 3.2ghz(530), geforce 6800, 3gb ram, 55gb and 35gb HDDs, broken optical drive connector. Winxp sp3. For sale!

Dell Mini9 white(Doom Weaslet): Atom 1.6, 1gb ram, 16gb SSD, WinXP sp3.