Quantcast Studio 15 1920x1200 display

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1
    Notebook Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    13
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Studio 15 1920x1200 display

    I am currently looking at the Studio 15 as a laptop for college, and I plan on watching DVDs/Blu Ray movies on it. Does anyone have the 1920x1200 display that can give an opinion on it, cause I would love to have a 1080p capable laptop, but im a bit hesitant.

  2. #2
    Notebook Geek
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    94
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Re: Studio 15 1920x1200 display

    Quote Originally Posted by Morkon2112 View Post
    I am currently looking at the Studio 15 as a laptop for college, and I plan on watching DVDs/Blu Ray movies on it. Does anyone have the 1920x1200 display that can give an opinion on it, cause I would love to have a 1080p capable laptop, but im a bit hesitant.
    With a 15.4" screen, you probably won't see much difference, unless you are really sitting very close to your laptop. Your video card should always be able to drive a 1920x1200 external monitor.

    I have used a 1920x1200 15.4" laptop and you had better have good eyesight for working with Windows... because menus, filenames, etc are very small. Of course you can enlarge the system font, but that causes compatibility problems with some programs.

    My close vision isn't very good. If your close vision is excellent, you might enjoy 1920x1200. On the other hand, you might rather spend your money on the WLED which supposedly gives a better picture and consumes less battery juice, too.
    A seven-year-old HP Pavillion which weights as much as two bricks yet gets the job done pretty well

  3. #3
    Notebook Evangelist
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    359
    Rep Power
    15

    Default Re: Studio 15 1920x1200 display

    Quote Originally Posted by Morkon2112 View Post
    I am currently looking at the Studio 15 as a laptop for college, and I plan on watching DVDs/Blu Ray movies on it. Does anyone have the 1920x1200 display that can give an opinion on it, cause I would love to have a 1080p capable laptop, but im a bit hesitant.
    I love mine. Don't know how I can ever go back.

  4. #4
    Notebook Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    13
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Re: Studio 15 1920x1200 display

    is your battery life still good, or is that a trade off?

  5. #5
    Notebook Evangelist
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    359
    Rep Power
    15

    Default Re: Studio 15 1920x1200 display

    Battery life is not bad - 2.5 to 3 hrs with brightness three or four levels (15 in total) above minimum, wifi on and doing word processing/internet browsing. Six cell battery. Obviously, I haven't exactly timed it to the minute, and I don't know if you would consider that "good," but whatever loss in battery life induced by the higher res screen has been worth it for me.

    I'm not exactly the type to hull around a 15-inch laptop around campus though - at 6 lbs, 14 inches long and less than 3 hours of battery life, the 1535 isn't exactly suited for people to bring to lectures and take notes IMO. Thus, battery life isn't really an issue for me.
    Last edited by Xiphias; 18th January 2009 at 03:16 AM.

  6. #6
    Notebook Prophet
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    6,682
    Rep Power
    45

    Default Re: Studio 15 1920x1200 display

    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphias View Post
    Battery life is not bad - 2.5 to 3 hrs with brightness three or four levels (15 in total) above minimum, wifi on and doing word processing/internet browsing. Six cell battery. Obviously, I haven't exactly timed it to the minute, and I don't know if you would consider that "good," but whatever loss in battery life induced by the higher res screen has been worth it for me.

    I'm not exactly the type to hull around a 15-inch laptop around campus though - at 6 lbs, 14 inches long and less than 3 hours of battery life, the 1535 isn't exactly suited for people to bring to lectures and take notes IMO. Thus, battery life isn't really an issue for me.
    I have the base screen and get the same battery life.

  7. #7
    Notebook Prophet
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    4,662
    Rep Power
    33

    Default Re: Studio 15 1920x1200 display

    i cant be without my 1920x1200 screen

    its like having 2 monitors. using any other screen res frustrates me nowadays.


    see this thread for screenshots and how vista scales/you can zoom on apps

    M4400, WUXGA & Vista
    Main Machine: Dell Precision M4600|Core i7-2620M 2.7GHz 3.4GHz Turbo|15.6" FHD WLED|AMD FirePro M5950 Mobility Pro 1GB DDR5|Corsair 8GB DDR3|Intel Soda Creek 310 80GB SSD|WD Scorpio Black 750GB|Webcam and Fingerprint Reader|9 Cell Battery|Intel Centrino 6300 Ultimate
    Runaround Rig: Lenovo Thinkpad X201|Core i5-540M 2.53GHz 3.06GHz Turbo|12.1" WXGA (1280x800) WLED|Corsair 8GB DDR3|Webcam and Fingerprint Reader|6 cell battery|Intel Centrino 6200 Advanced--- Both: Win7pro x64

  8. #8
    Notebook Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    13
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Re: Studio 15 1920x1200 display

    looks like theres a very minimal trade off. thanks for the help

  9. #9
    Notebook Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Guelph, Ontario, CANADA
    Posts
    36
    Rep Power
    14

    Ca Re: Studio 15 1920x1200 display

    Quote Originally Posted by afhstingray View Post
    i cant be without my 1920x1200 screen

    its like having 2 monitors. using any other screen res frustrates me nowadays.


    see this thread for screenshots and how vista scales/you can zoom on apps

    M4400, WUXGA & Vista
    Have a new Dell Studio 1737 and find the 1920 x 1200 frustratingly small! Sharpness and detail are great but I find the 1440 x 900 setting perfect but blurry! Any way around the blurriness problem. My old 1735 dell laptop has a default setting of 1440 x 900 and the screen has a great resolution and text etc..is the perfect size! Why did dell change this with the 1737? Right out of box the 1735 looked awesome and the 1737 right out of the box i had to mess with the resolution settings etc..very frustrating! Looks like I have to put up with blurriness! any ideas?

  10. #10
    Notebook Evangelist
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    690
    Rep Power
    19

    Default Re: Studio 15 1920x1200 display

    The blurriness is because you are not running the screen at it's native resolution. With a CRT it doesn't matter but with LCD's the native resolution is the number of actual pixels in the screen and has to extrapolate another resolution to fit which means the pixel count isn't 1 for 1 and you end up with a blurry screen. Your best option is to run the screen in it's native res and play with the size of the fonts.

    Vostro 1700
    1440 x 900 SEC3258 Matte
    Core 2 Duo T7300 2GHz 800FSB 4MB,
    4GB Crucial DDR2 667MHz,
    160GB Hitachi SATA 5400RPM,
    160GB Samsung SATA 5400RPM,
    Nvidia 8600m GT 256MB GDDR2,
    Dell Bluetooth,
    Intel Wireless N.


 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:22 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1