Quantcast Dell Inspiron 1525 DVD drive randomly ejecting

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gb Dell Inspiron 1525 DVD drive randomly ejecting

Hi guys, I have had a problem with the DVD drive for a few months now. Sometimes the light on it flashes and you here it attempting to look for a DVD (When it's empty). When it's full it sometimes flashes and runs autorun. After it flashes it also ejects half the time, and also it'll just eject randomly without any warning or loading noises.

I explained the problem to Dell and they sent me a replacement DVD drive, but the problem still happens, so I'm guessing it's not the DVD drive itself.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I could solve this problem?

Many thanks

NBR Random Reviewer

Default Re: Dell Inspiron 1525 DVD drive randomly ejecting

Hi Joe, Have you tried running a virus scan? It could be a virus that's causing the problems. Also check to see if you have any media players running such as Nero, AVS ect in your task manager and disable them. You should also disable those programs from your startup programs
    ASUS U36JC-A1 w/ Intel 6300 wifi || G.Skill 256GB SSD
    Dell Latitude E6400 (company laptop) w/ Intel P8600 || 160GB HDD || 4GB Ram || Nvidia Quadro 160M
    Canon 5DMKII || 24-70mm f/2.8L || 70-200mm f/2.8L IS VII|| 100mm 2.8L Macro || 430EX II
    flickr

Gb Re: Dell Inspiron 1525 DVD drive randomly ejecting

Thanks for the response David. Sadly I know it can't be a virus because I reformatted the computer and I still had random ejects when the only thing at the time that was installed was Vista unless it's something evil to do with that...

Notebook Guru

I had this issue before, but after a few weeks and several updates, it stopped. Just try to update your operating system and update your dvd drive's firmware.
    Dell 1525 Inspiron Commotion
    Intel Core 2 Duo T5550
    3 gig 667 mhz ram
    250 gig hd
    9 cell battery
    Dual boot Ubuntu Hardy Heron/Vista

Sadly everything is up to date...I've noticed it happens often when I apply pressure from underneath on the side where the DVD drive is, maybe I need to open up the laptop itself and have a look? Any ideas on how to dissamble the thing?

Thanks again

Hi there Joe... My wife's 1525 does the exact same thing and we're at a loss too. Sounds like we've headed down the same path with fresh builds and new drives with the same result. I've read on other threads that people have it happening in Vista, XP, and OSX (I didn't realize someone had gotten OSX to run on these). That would support the hardware/firmware theory.

I was thinking of putting ubuntu on there but the thought of taking my wife up the linux learning curve has me a bit apprehensive.

Jason

Hi

Did anyone manage to sort this?

I have the exact same prob on my 1525, sometimes the DVD drive mechanism will make a noise an not open, other times it fully opens. And like JoeGenoa says if you lift the laptop up putting pressure on the DVD side it will open as well.

Cheers

Notebook Enthusiast

Joe, when you boot up, did you notice if the Eject key stays lit? I had this happen on a 1537. After a period of time, the light would go off and the disc would eject at random.

The touch sensitive media keys seem to be a fairly common problem, but certainly not for everyone.

The thread linked below has lots more information.
    Studio 15 media sensitive button problem

Hi All,
    Just wanted to add my two cents to the discussion. My Dell 1525 is also has a similar problem. I've updated the operating system (Vista) and drivers. Done virus scans (McAfee) and installed then reinstalled the drive with no luck. I also find it sometimes ejects when I apply pressure to the edge of the drive closest to the screen and the machine is on an angle.
    Would love to know if any one has got some ideas on this problem.
    Cheers

wat

Quote Originally Posted by BullishDad View Post
    Joe, when you boot up, did you notice if the Eject key stays lit? I had this happen on a 1537. After a period of time, the light would go off and the disc would eject at random.

The touch sensitive media keys seem to be a fairly common problem, but certainly not for everyone.

The thread linked below has lots more information.
    Studio 15 media sensitive button problem
    I don't think the Inspiron 1525 even has touch-sensitive buttons.

From what you said about pressure underneath the drive causing it to eject, that reminds me of something K-TRON mentioned in another thread a while ago. Apparently these slot-loading DVD drives have no support underneath, and pressure on these "soft spots" can cause them to behave odd. He said he fixed his by installing a metal plate underneath.
    Machine:
    [ i5-2500k @ 4.0GHz | MSI P67A-G43 | Cooler Master V8 | Corsair TX750 V2 750W | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 1600MHz | Antec Nine Hundred Two V3 | ASUS GTX 580 DirectCU II triple-slot 1536MB | 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 ]
    Periphs:
    [ Hannspree SL231 23-inch 1920x1080 LED | Razer Mamba + Goliathus Alpha extra-large Speed Edition | Razer Blackwidow Ultimate (Cherry MX Blue) | Belkin n52te | Razer Carcharias ]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast