Quantcast Installing Windows XP Pro on Studio 15 - Page 3

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Us Re: Installing Windows XP Pro on Studio 15

An update from a Dell guy...not a super strong answer but it may be correct.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.dellcommunity.com/support...256436#M256436

I haven't worked with the new Studio systems at all yet, so I don't really know much about them, but the list of drivers for one, and the order they should be installed, is:

Dell™ Notebook System Software
    Intel® Mobile Chipset Driver
    Mobile Intel® GMA X3100 Video Controller
    Ricoh® Media Card Reader Driver
    Intel Flash Cache Logic Chip (Intel Turbo Memory)
    Broadcom® 440X 10/100 Integrated Network Controller
    Wireless driver (if applicable)
    IDT® STAC 9205 Audio Driver
    Dell Touch Pad Driver
    Bluetooth® driver and stack

As long as you get the XP versions of each of these for the system you should be able to get full functionality out of it. Remember, however, that while the hardware warranty doesn't change because you installed XP (or any other OS) the support for the OS is going to be for the OS it shipped with.

----------------------------------------------------
    If anyone gets this to work.. please post.

Notebook Enthusiast

Default Re: Installing Windows XP Pro on Studio 15

can anybody please link to download locations of these components?

I am intrigued as I will be attempting an install of XP on one of these babies. I do multitrack audio recording and editing on my lappie--and Vista is just not where XP is. I can make it work, but audio settings keep resetting themselves and I can't run as many simultaneous tracks and effects with Vista as I can with XP.

Cool Re: Installing Windows XP Pro on Studio 15

http://www.dellcommunity.com/support...256436#M256436

See link above.....
    Progress is being made on this... but the first few who break the code are on the bleeding edge... Looks like someone will resolve a best practice soon ! Keep optimistic.

Does not look simple yet...

Notebook Consultant

I just switched from xp to vista as I bought the 15...and it's not bad. the first 2 or 3 days suck with all the system messages but after you click "make this a permanent rule" or whatever it is, the same messages don't come up anymore...I've had vista for a week now and 3gb of ram makes everything run smoothly for what i need to do...

basically, i think that if you REALLY want xp, you will be able to bear with vista until you can safely install xp pro with the correct drivers and everything...

Hi there!

I got Windows XP working on the Studio 15 at 98%. The only component i haven't found a driver for is the soundcard (IDT 92HD73C1). All other components are working just fine. It was really hard to find all drivers to get it working. So if anyone has got a solution for the soundproblem please tell me or send me the link to the driver. Till now i tried several drivers from other producers but there is still no sound (very often i got the message: This device cannot start. (Code 10)). The Microsoft Universal Audio Architecture driver is already installed.

I could make a package with all drivers for Windows XP and wirte a short tutorial.

P.S.: My English is a bit rusty =)

I have XP installed too, but I habe also troubles with sound, WIFI and Bluetooth. Sound is very important to get the Blu-Ray with HDMI running. I also discuss this theme in the US Dell forum.
    Can you tell me the Bluetooth and Wireless driver?
    I will check now the hints from the Dell forum.
    Regards from Germany
    CCAA

I am from Germany, too. So that everyone here can understand how to install the drivers I stay writing in English.

So, first of all the internal Wireless-Card is relatively easy to install. But be careful: Dell offers different Wirelessmodules. The one I am talking about is the DELL 1397 Wireless-Card. The chipset of this card is made by Broadcom so the Driver for the following Module will work:

Broadcom 802.11g-Networkadapter

Windows XP does not recognize this driver as compatible to this device so you have to force Windows to use this driver!

The Studio 15 I'm using has no bluetooth so I can't say what driver you can use to get it working but several Vista-drivers are also runnable with Windows XP.

My HDMI is already installed but I can't test it.

Notebook Enthusiast

Look; I'd just try installing XP and see what happens. XP has a pretty big variety of drivers pre-installed. As long as you have a backup computer to go to get more drivers, yous hould be good.

Notebook Enthusiast

be aware if you do try to install xp you more than likely won't have sound or wireless. i spent 2 days searching and testing different drivers and had no luck. if anyone actually gets it to work please mention the link to the drivers you used. dell 1510 wireless card is almost impossible to get working on XP at least of of today so any help with sound/wireless would be great
    even though since i've been "stuck" using vista, it's kinda growing on me since i've stripped it's bloatware and turned off many services

matt

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast