Quantcast Dell Inspiron vs Toshiba Satellite?

Closed Thread
    Notebook Evangelist

Default Dell Inspiron vs Toshiba Satellite?

Don't know if anyone has both of these. Assuming similar specs for both is there are any particular merits to the Inspiron vs the Satellite? Reason I am asking is that due to financial limits, and Best Buy account, I had pretty much settled down to the idea of a Satellite. However, Both Satellite and Inspiron appear to be in high demand on Best Buy, and both appear to have good ratings.

I need something ready to go, out of the box, which will allow for the usual office apps -- MS 2007 Office Suite, eMail on the fly like at WiFi cafes, and the ability to display very nice graphics for image editing/slide show etc.
    The only thing I don't really need is gaming ability since I am reserving the desktop for that.

Any thoughts on the relative merits of each line?

Thanks.

Notebook Evangelist

Default Re: Dell Inspiron vs Toshiba Satellite?

I owned 2 Satellites and both spent more than a month away getting repaired, the second was actually a warranty replacement for the first. I sold the last one it caused me so much trouble. Since then I have bought 2 Dell XPS notebooks (a M1210 and a M1530), and quite a few friends of mine have bought Inspirons, they have all had no problems. This is based on my own experience and others may have experienced differently.
    MacBook Pro 13" - 2.26GHz | 8GB | 120GB SSD | 9400M | OS X 10.8
    Latitude E6400 - 2.26GHz | 4GB | 320GB | WXGA+ | GMA 4500M | Win7 Pro
    Desktop - i5 2500K @ 4.4 | 8GB | 120GB SSD + 2TB HDD | 2x 17" SXGA + 23" QWXGA | GTX 560 | Win7 Pro
    Server - 1.86GHz | 4GB | 4.25TB | Windows Home Server

Notebook Enthusiast

I had to rent a laptop until my XPS 1530 laptop comes. It happened to be a Toshiba Satellite laptop. I hated it! The design, the screen, the functionality. I didn;t like anything about it. My XPS 1530 should be in my hands tomorrow.
    Dell XPS M1530
    T9300
    256MB 8600GT
    4GB RAM
    250GB 5400RPM HDD
    1440x900 LCD Screen
    6-Cell battery
    Windows Vista Home Premium
    Intel Wireless N

Banned

it's really hard to tell/judge without specs. otherwise both companies have the same potential for problem/problem free laptops. make sure you have a nice warranty.

Notebook Evangelist

Thanks for the input everyone. Good things to keep in mind. So many good reviews on Best Buy that I will now consider the Inspiron as well. With a warantee of course.