Quantcast Inspiron 1520 - activate bluetooth?

Closed Thread
    Notebook Guru

Default Inspiron 1520 - activate bluetooth?

Hi guys, i have the option of integrated bluetooth for Dell inspiron 1520 , i would like to ask , how the heck you activate it?? I tried to install it , it says , press Fn + F2 which i did , but nothing happens ... Thanks.

Notebook Deity

Default Re: Inspiron 1520 - activate bluetooth?

There's a button on the left side of the laptop that you slide to activate wireless and Bluetooth.

Notebook Retailer

Ayashifx55, you might want to check in the BIOS to make sure the bluetooth card is being seen by the motherboard. You can also make sure it is enabled, and what key combination is used to toggle the radio. Normally, it is Fn+F2 for both the wireless and bluetooth cards at the same time.

You should also have a bluetooth icon in the system tray (down by the clock). If you right click on that you should also have an option to enable the bluetooth.

If that doesn't fix it, let me know and I will check on some of the other options that could be causing the problem.

Larry
    Dell Customer Advocate

Notebook Consultant

The bluetooth thing should already be activated - at least mine was. Go to task manager, and see if there are two processes named 'BTStackServer', and 'BTTray', if they are there, bluetooth is activated.

If it's active, all you have to do is play with Windows:
    Start>Control Planel>Bluetooth Devices
    In the window that comes up, select 'Add', and follow the Wizard. You may need to make 'discoverable' your device several times while Windows scans the area.
    if it was on the internet, it would have smiley faces!

Notebook Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Dell C.A. View Post
    Ayashifx55, you might want to check in the BIOS to make sure the bluetooth card is being seen by the motherboard. You can also make sure it is enabled, and what key combination is used to toggle the radio. Normally, it is Fn+F2 for both the wireless and bluetooth cards at the same time.

You should also have a bluetooth icon in the system tray (down by the clock). If you right click on that you should also have an option to enable the bluetooth.

If that doesn't fix it, let me know and I will check on some of the other options that could be causing the problem.

Larry
    Dell Customer Advocate
    FN+F2 won't work on the 1520 because it has a wireless switch... He'll have to ensure the wireless switch is set to "on" and bluetooth should be on. He should also check QuickSet to be sure the switch is set to manage Wireless and Blutooth (or at least Bluetooth)... Also check to see if the bluetooth light is on...

Notebook Guru

If you have reinstalled a different version of Vista than was originally on your system or downgraded to WIndows XP, you MUST run this utility PRIOR to running the Bluetooth 355 install driver program. Here is the link to the utility:
    http://support.dell.com/support/down...&fileid=213714

This will keep you from getting the dreaded "Press Fn-F2 to activate bluetooth" and it hangs there forever doing absolutely nothing. I spent almost 2 hours on the phone with Dell wireless group last month and nothing worked for them. I remembered that the rep mentioned this update, but whenever I asked about it, she said to disregard that I heard about it. Having nothing to lose, I searched out the number and downloaded it and voila the hardware was found and I was able to install the drivers with ease!

So, after you load this utility, go to the download drivers for the 1520 and get the 355 Bluetooth driver and install it!
    Dell Inspiron 1520
    Jet Black
    Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7300 (2.0GHz)
    2GB RAM
    Glossy, Hi-Resolution widescreen 15.4 inch display (1440x900)
    256MB GeForce 8600M GT
    160GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)
    Intel Wireless a/b/g/n card

ORD: 08/17
    ESD: 9/13

Build: 08/21
    Testing: 08/27
    Boxing:08/27

Shipped: 08/29
    Recd: 08/31

Notebook Retailer

Quote Originally Posted by frazell View Post
    FN+F2 won't work on the 1520 because it has a wireless switch... He'll have to ensure the wireless switch is set to "on" and bluetooth should be on. He should also check QuickSet to be sure the switch is set to manage Wireless and Blutooth (or at least Bluetooth)... Also check to see if the bluetooth light is on...
    You are correct. I was going on memory from other systems with the Wireless Switch. I double checked and the switch does need to be on, with one exception. In the BIOS (Wireless > Wireless Switch) you can set what devices (Cell, Bluetooth and WiFi) the switch controls. By default it should be set to All (all three) but if bluetooth is not responding it might be changed to something different, or bluetooth might be disabled in the BIOS.

Hey dell c.a. can you help me out my prob. is that i cant get the bluetooth activated fn f2 or the switch neither works the bluetooth is active in in bios but is not avail. in quickset any help would be appreciated. thanks guys