Quantcast How to: Replace your broken (8600M GT) graphics card (in the [I]FL90) - Page 23

+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 41 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Default Re: How to: Replace your broken (8600M GT) graphics card (in the [I]FL90)

Thanks Doc

Cheers.

Default Re: How to: Replace your broken (8600M GT) graphics card (in the [I]FL90)

I'd like to tell you about my experiences with replacing the 8600m GT of my Compal.

I've got a Nexoc Osiris E619 (Compal FL92). Stock configuration was:
    CPU: Intel Core2Duo T9300
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 8600m GT (512 MB)
    HDD: 200 GB Seagate Momentus
    RAM: 2x 1 GB

I changed the HDD a couple of times, cause it got too small.
    Now i've got a OCZ Vertex II 120 GB SSD mounted in the HDD slot and a 500 GB S-ATA Seagate Momentus mounted in the ODD Bay with an adapter-frame. I also upgraded the RAM to 2x 2 GB.
    The SSD accelerated the Compal like i never mentioned. It only takes 15 seconds to boot Win 7, connect WiFi and start Firefox. Bye bye Standby!

So i wanted to upgrade my GPU too. First i bought a GeForce 9600m GT and screen kept black (cause of vBIOS). Yes, i should have searched the web before trying it
    Cause of the advices in this thread i bought a 1 GB ATI mobility Radeon HD3650 and mounted it. First startup and driver installation looked very good.
    Before installing the ATI i did a 3DMark06 with the old 8600m GT and now wanted to see how much more power the ATI has got. The NVIDIA got a 3DMark Score of 3489. HD3650 only got 3468 ... AND there were much artefacts during the HDR tests (none of them with 8600m GT).

Maybe the ATI isn't ok, maybe it's just not compatible. I wouldn't test another GPU any more. For Playing CoD4 and doing CAD the 8600m GT works fine.

Hello again,

I still have an Compal JFL92 with 8600M GT video card.

First black screen after 2 years and 1 week so just one week after waranty ended. Was reflow at a laptop service.

Second black screen was after 7 months so got another reflow at same laptop service.

Third black screen after 1 month and 1 week. Then go to the same service shop and this time make a reballing of the graphical chip. After that about 3-4 months GPU temp was low again I mean 55-60 'C in idle and 75-80 'C in games same like in first year of laptop life then temp start to increase again.

When temp is 70 'C in idle (Windows) then is run a game temp go to 90-95 'C in games.

So after 7 months after reballing of the GPU 86m he fails again but this time in a different way.

Screen was grey I can control the light of screen with FN+F4 or F5 but nothing else just gray screen of death.

So this time because I was sake of dissasembling and reassembling of my lappy he got a cut on the back. And not take me only 5min to got video card out. And video card got a baking in my electrical owen 190'C for 6 minutes.

And 8600m GT is running again, I will see for how long, but now is cost less for me. I can reflow my self and in only 20-25 min is back again.

Now temp stay at 65'C in Windows idle and 75-80 'C in games.

Now after baking seems that laptop cooler not starting again by himself.
    So only ussing a benckmark software to start it.

PS: I found a method to start laptop fan with a software. If someone is interesting I can exlapin here in a new post. And if somene interesting in pictures with my cutted back of JFL92 laptop I can attach or send pictures too. Not look very nice but at value of the laptop weight allot to take card out very easy.

PPS: with fan started (with software) GPU stay in idle at 55 'C and in games at 70-75 'C.

a44

Hi, nice to hear it is working for you. I had reflown my card about 4 times and it is also still working. I found one interresting fact, that always when my card died it was while waking-up from system sleep mode. Intervals of dying were 1-2 weeks. From last reflow (about 2 months ago) I had never gone to sleep mode and it is still working

PS: which software are you using for fan control?

@a44: Hi, first time when video card died was the same because laptop entered in stand-by (sleep mode) so I disabled this option from power control.

My expectation after reballing (change solder balls under the nVidia chip) was longer then 6 month.
    So about 3 months ago I aquired an electric oven for baking (not only food).

To days ago when I was at laptop the screen start to flashing and after 5 seconds image on the screen frozen. When I check GPU temp was 93 degree last displayed by SpeedFan.

Press power-off button and then grey screen apeared with only 2 spots of white in right side of screen but changing of backlight intensity work. After restart was the same grey screen. This was gey for first timme, before reballing was only black (off).

So baking of card was made in electrical owen with heat from up and down and air recirculating. Temp was set at 190 'C and let there for 6 minuts to bake in own sauce (soldering flux).

After that work like a charm.

Now for all who are interesting to start laptop fan using a software I will explain but is not a dedicated software, no is a CPU Stress Test program writen by a russian caled CPU Stress Test.

Can be downloaded from here: http://testmem.tz.ru/cst.zip (original site)
    Please check this file with an antivirus so will be no blame to me.

What else will be needed: SpeedFan can be downloaded by here: http://www.almico.com/speedfan446.exe (original site)
    Please check this file too with an antivirus to be sure.

How can be used: first start SpeedFan.exe
    After SpeedFan initialized and GPU temp apeared on statusbar then you can start cst.exe (CPU Stress Test).

And let is to run for a specifical number of seconds (displayed by program).
    How long it's hard to tell must be tested.

Before reballing I let program between 15-20 seconds to run then stoped and fan remain blocked to run on full speed.

After reballing of the nVidia chip when program displayed 4 seconds I stop program and fan remain block on full speed.

ATTENTION: He remain on full speed until other program will stress the CPU for example something single thred like an large Flash application (EX: games on facebook).

Now after first baking (reflowing) on electrical owen I see that this 4 secs are not enough and must let him to run at least 25-30 seconds or let GPU to get hot >70'C then start program. And after this baking I observed that fan not start by himselfs even if GPU temp go to over 80'C so something happend but I suspect problem is because I cut the back of laptop.

If someone whant to discuss with me directly on email or Yahoo messenger.

setnicgabriel (at) gmail.com (this is for email)
    setnicgabriel (at) yahoo.com (this is only for yahoo messenger)

For yahoo messenger please send an email on Gmail first.

I can send picture with how to make cut in back of laptop to take video card out in 2-3 min without dissasembling all laptop. I suspect this cut prevent cooling fan to start by himselves because somehow hot air cannot increase again CPU temperature so fan never starts again by himselves.

I will look how to connect fan direct to USB so can be started more easy.
    If somebody know how to connect so fan can be started by connecting on USB.

PS: I have a cooler pad (CoolerMaster) too with 3 fans connected on USB and is useless because decreasing of temp for GPU is only about 2-3 degrees.

Hi all.

I bought Radeon 4570 DDR3 and it's not working with my FL90. The laptop don't even start, zero reaction. In the first post of this topic the 4570 was mentioned, however I suppose that the author thought of the DDR2 version.

This 4570 version comes from toshiba laptop. Maybe BIOS update will help. What do you think?

Greetings

Notebook Evangelist

Toshiba cards will NOT work, tough luck.

BIOS/vBIOS update won't help either - you might get it working when soldering - user ".NetRolller 3D" posted about this here once, but I would not go down that path ...

Good luck!

Hello,
    Just entered the forum and i salute all of you!!!!

I need some help.
    I have a broken 8400m 256 mxm i.
    I had read that ATI 3650 is ok for replace but i dont know if will work with my laptop. I own an ALTEC NB VOYAGER A3000-3.
    Do you know anything about this laptop?
    I search everywhere but there is no information about ALTEC.

Thanks.

Notebook Evangelist

never heard of altec nor do I find anything about it - other than it comes from Greece.

Maybe try searching for an ID that is on the back of the laptop, I guess it's just a rebrand (sold under different name).

You can replace MXM-I by MXM-II cards, but MXM-II is larger than MXM-I, see here Acer MXM Models and Cards

So it might work it it does fit - I cannot tell you anything else.

Try it if you dare, leave it alone if you don't dare.

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply.

Here is the specs of this notebook:
    Untitled Document

Unfortunatelly there is no other ID on the back.
    There is enough space to put mxm ii but.....the bad thing is that i dont know anything about the version of this bios.
    So i have to take the risk, right?